Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 11:13 PM

60 posts, read 375,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Manders, you won't get far here with the attitude that West County is snobby, or the city and North County are crime-infested and a bad place to raise a family.

I'm sure you're a nice person, Manders, but please remember that South County isn't the only nice part of the area. It's nice. For me, being 18, I would probably find it boring, but for raising kids it's fine. But to discount West County as "snobby" or the city as too dangerous to raise children can be seen as close-minded.

Anyway, please, everyone keep an open-mind. And before you stick your foot in your mouth, know what your talking about, or at least act enough like you do.
Reread what I said...I said I meaning Me Myself and I would not raise my Children there...that doesnt mean that people are bad for raising there children there....or people shouldnt raise there children there...to each there own....but my point, my Opinion because this is something that we ALL have...our own opinion and I am entitled to my own opinion right....or do I have to just nod and agree with everyone else...my own personal opinion is that I would not, will not raise my Children anywhere else in St Louis!

Last edited by Manders378; 05-19-2008 at 11:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 11:25 PM

60 posts, read 375,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethewest View Post
Wow, you really get offended when someone puts South County down, don't you?

Yes, South County has a mall, whoop-de-do. Kirkwood and Webster Groves are two very wonderful small towns that have loads of charm, lots of things to do. It always seems like there's some kind of festival in downtown Kirkwood, and Webster has the university, which offers lots of cultural activities. You can walk around downtown, eat at nice resturaunts, drive through historic neighborhoods, etc. In south county, you can...let's see, fight Lindbergh traffic to get to South County Mall so you can shop in the exact same shops that you could shop in anywhere else in the country, you can go to the grocery store, drive around subdivisions with their identical plastic homes, exciting stuff. I'm glad you like it here, but it's definitely not for everyone. And I'm 18, by the way.
I just get annoyed with everyone elses closed mindedness on South County thats all!

If you take a drive around south county and actually look there is a lot to do in South County...we have Parks all over the place...take a walk thru a trail or ride your bike...go to JB Park and over look the beautiful scenery where you can see the Mississippi River, get some friends together and go play some baseball at one of the parks, we have places to ride go karts, bowling, batting cages, miniature golf, golf hitting range, golf courses, of course shopping...there are a zillion places to shop, restraunts everywhere, Bars, Dance Clubs...movie theaters...that new arcade place where Target used to be off of Lindbergh (not sure of the name) right now there are all kinds of pinics to go to...there was a huge one this past weekend in south county malls parking lot...lots to do...south county really isnt all that boring just take a drive an figure out what you want to do! Not to mention all the GOREGOUS houses out there...I love driving around looking at all the huge beautiful houses out there especially in the Oakville and Sunset Hills area!

Old 05-20-2008, 12:40 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,829,880 times
Manders, I'm sure South County is fine.

I think everyone's just a little annoyed at the way you came across at first, like South County was the only good place to raise kids. I'm not saying you were saying that, but that was how it seemed to some of us.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 5,470 times
I disagree with the above posts on South County. It is a pretty safe area but there are things to do there. My boyfriend lives there and I feel like there are many places to eat, shop, etc. I would say that South County is more diverse (has more African Americans, hispanics, etc) than Kirkwood and other West County Areas.

CWE is a great place if you are wanting to live somewhere that is hip and always has something fun to do. It is also known that many homosexuals live there (don't know if you care about that aspect or not)

The Loop is also a place where there is always something to do. Many places to eat, but may not be the safest area to live.

U city and South City are by far the most dangerous and filled with crime.

I personally would recommend somewhere in West County (Des Pair, Chesterfield, Wildwood, etc.) It is a great area if you are looking for somewhere safe to live with not much diversity. If you want to go to a club downtown is only about a 15-30min drive depending on where in West County that you live. If you aren't very fond of people who are stuck up though you might not be too crazy about West County.

Out of the places that you listed (CWE, The Loop, U City, South City, and South County) This is how I would personally list them based on how safe they are and the overall package

1. CWE
2. South County
3. The Loop
4. South City
5. U City

Hope this helps!!!!

Old 09-06-2010, 05:30 PM

787 posts, read 1,414,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgirl20 View Post
I disagree with the above posts on South County. It is a pretty safe area but there are things to do there. My boyfriend lives there and I feel like there are many places to eat, shop, etc. I would say that South County is more diverse (has more African Americans, hispanics, etc) than Kirkwood and other West County Areas.

CWE is a great place if you are wanting to live somewhere that is hip and always has something fun to do. It is also known that many homosexuals live there (don't know if you care about that aspect or not)

The Loop is also a place where there is always something to do. Many places to eat, but may not be the safest area to live.

I personally would recommend somewhere in West County (Des Pair, Chesterfield, Wildwood, etc.) It is a great area if you are looking for somewhere safe to live with not much diversity. If you want to go to a club downtown is only about a 15-30min drive depending on where in West County that you live. If you aren't very fond of people who are stuck up though you might not be too crazy about West County.

Out of the places that you listed (CWE, The Loop, U City, South City, and South County) This is how I would personally list them based on how safe they are and the overall package

1. CWE
2. South County
3. The Loop
4. South City
5. U City

Hope this helps!!!!
Along with the 'homosexuals,' 'negroes' live in the CWE, too. C'mon! It's the 21st Century!!!

BTW, LGBT and black folks live in all areas of STL, city and county....

You are painting University City with a very broad brush, sister. Tell me about crime in the University Hills, University Park, University Heights, West Portland Place neighborhoods. Give me some statistics.

Filled with crime? You mean you can't even walk down South Grand without being murdered? Jeez, to think of all of those Saturdays going to the Tower Grove Farmers' Market and getting out of there alive... I think I'll start going back to church.

inahandbasket

PS - look up the word "hyperbole."

Old 09-06-2010, 05:34 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,872,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgirl20 View Post

1. CWE
2. South County
3. The Loop
4. South City
5. U City

Hope this helps!!!!
Probably one of the more ridulous posts I have read on this forum.
I think you would be glad to know that many South City neighborhoods are just as safe if not safer than the county. St Louis magazine came out with their annual neighborhood list. Each one listed any crime committed in the neighborhood in the last year. Now I'm not saying all of South City is safe, but your generalizations are just plain wrong. University City has some of the nicest neighborhoods in the entire metro area, again, your generalizations are incorrect.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:06 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,887,735 times
I've spent more of my life in south county than any other place, in three different houses over the course of 12 years. It is a fine place to raise kids and it is safe with good schools. Other than that, I will agree with the above posts that say it is a dull place. There is really nothing distinctive, interesting, inspiring, or unique about it. If you like your suburbs with a touch of charm then Kirkwood or Webster Groves are a better bet.

Even when I lived there I spent very little time hanging out in the area. I moved to the city last year and haven't really looked back. Like I said, it is perfectly fine for a cookie cutter place to raise kids, but as a young person it doesn't compare at all to CWE, south city, and U.City.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:05 PM

264 posts, read 700,368 times
Kirkwood is west county not South.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:57 PM

105 posts, read 309,477 times
South county has its pluses and minuses. I lived there for a bit (Oakville, 97.1% white), never had any problems with crime, but it is a little boring for a single guy.

@Aragx6: I was wondering where you got your stats? Is it 10 year-old census data, or some newer estimates?

There are some white folk that move to Oakville because it's 97.1% white and that is where they feel most comfortable. Some people move there because it is generally a low crime area, and has some pretty good schools. Others move there because they can afford it. I thought about living there long term, but the commute was too far for me.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:51 PM

6 posts, read 6,080 times
South County = Epic Fail for singles, especially young/active singles. Most in South County are married, bloated and set in their mundane ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis