Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 10:08 AM

60 posts, read 375,395 times

Advertisements

I have read thru a lot of posts on this forum and have read a lot of about CWE and the Loop, U City, South City, Dowtown but havent read much on the Southy County area!

What are you opinions on the South County area??? The Good, Bad and Ugly!!!!

South County-Oakville, Mehlville, Lemay, Affton, Crestwood, Sunset Hills, Kirkwood, Bella Villa, St George, Webster Groves, Green Park, Fenton!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 12:33 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
How are Kirkwood and Webster Groves south county?

Other than that my opinion is pretty simple. Well-priced, solid schools and low crime rates make this area attractive for many first-time homebuyers. However, this area is less diverse than nearly every other in the St. Louis metro and is about as cookie-cutter as you can get. I'd say Jefferson County is worse about both of those though.

I'd never necessarily steer anyone away from the area and I understand why it makes sense for some, but I probably wouldn't choose to live there.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:04 AM

What do you mean by Less Diverse???

Old 05-16-2008, 10:37 AM

I mean not at all diverse. Not even a little bit.

Oakville: 97.1% white, 1% Hispanic, .6% two or more races
Mehlville: 94% white, 1.8% black, 1.4% Hispanic, 1.1% two or more races
Lemay: 95.4% white, 2% Hispanic, 1% black, .7% American Indian, .7% other
Affton: 96% white, 1.1% Two or more races, 1% Hispanic
Crestwood: 95.7% white, 1% Hispanic, 1% Two or more races, .7% black, .6% American Indian
Sunset Hills: 95.7% white, 1.1% black, .9% Hispanic, .8% two or more races
Bella Villa: 97.4% white, 1.5% Hispanic, .7% two or more races
St. George: 98.1% white, .8% Hispanic, Two or more races .6%
Green Park: 97.3% white, 1.2% Hispanic, .7% two or more races, .5% other races
Fenton: 97.4% white, .8% Hispanic

You can't get less diverse than that.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:40 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,823,233 times
I think South County is alright.

It's not a place I'm dying to live in, but if it fits someone's needs I won't steer them away from it.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I mean not at all diverse. Not even a little bit.

Oakville: 97.1% white, 1% Hispanic, .6% two or more races
Mehlville: 94% white, 1.8% black, 1.4% Hispanic, 1.1% two or more races
Lemay: 95.4% white, 2% Hispanic, 1% black, .7% American Indian, .7% other
Affton: 96% white, 1.1% Two or more races, 1% Hispanic
Crestwood: 95.7% white, 1% Hispanic, 1% Two or more races, .7% black, .6% American Indian
Sunset Hills: 95.7% white, 1.1% black, .9% Hispanic, .8% two or more races
Bella Villa: 97.4% white, 1.5% Hispanic, .7% two or more races
St. George: 98.1% white, .8% Hispanic, Two or more races .6%
Green Park: 97.3% white, 1.2% Hispanic, .7% two or more races, .5% other races
Fenton: 97.4% white, .8% Hispanic

You can't get less diverse than that.
I live in Lemay and I know there are a lot more Blacks, Hispanics and other races out here then what they are showing! Same as Affton, I used to work in Affton and had lots of friends out there! Not South Counties fault that that its not more diverse...noone is stopping more of the other races to move out here!

Old 05-16-2008, 01:45 PM

Well you can argue about statistical data all you want to, but that doesn't make them any less accurate.

And I'm not sure how long you've been paying attention, but there are numerous historical reasons why there are nearly no blacks in South County.

I wish I had a copy of the episode, but in the 90s dateline did this undercover report on racism and put a black guy in South County to try and get a job and he's walking down the street and a guy screams out his car window "Little far south aren't ya?"

This is indicative of opinions and feelings I have seen from South County as well.

For you to look at the numbers I posted and to say or suggest that there is less then 1% blacks in most of the cities in South County because blacks just don't feel like moving there is naive.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:35 PM

362 posts, read 1,855,534 times
I live in Oakville. It's a nice enough area, but it gets really old. There is really nothing to do around here. There are no good resturaunts or shops, everything is just very suburban. South County over all is very dull, not a whole lot happens. And Kirkwood/Webster Groves are definitely not South County. Those two communities are actually interesting and offer things to do for their residents/visitors.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:03 AM

I really cant believe how much you people dislike South County! Is it the fact that there is no Crime there that makes it so boring and dull? Come on, I am a Parent and I see nothing wrong with South County, I like the fact there isnt much crime...makes me feel safer raising my children here! Why would you WANT to live somewhere with a lot of CRIME and MURDERS...isnt that kind of Crazy...is that what you call exciting!

Old 05-19-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Well you can argue about statistical data all you want to, but that doesn't make them any less accurate.

And I'm not sure how long you've been paying attention, but there are numerous historical reasons why there are nearly no blacks in South County.

I wish I had a copy of the episode, but in the 90s dateline did this undercover report on racism and put a black guy in South County to try and get a job and he's walking down the street and a guy screams out his car window "Little far south aren't ya?"

This is indicative of opinions and feelings I have seen from South County as well.

For you to look at the numbers I posted and to say or suggest that there is less then 1% blacks in most of the cities in South County because blacks just don't feel like moving there is naive.
Dont put down all of South County just because ONE person screamed out the window at a Black Guy! Give me a Break! Im not naive, I have lived here my whole life and know there is a lot more then 1% black people and hispanics who live in the South County!

Im sorry I asked anyones opinion on South County because your Ignorance towards my home area is pissing me off! I can see why noone on this board is from South County, or very few I should say because you make them feel like they are racist because of ONE guy and because THEY dont want to live over here...or so you say they dont even though I can look out my door and see hispanics and blacks walking up and down my street...but YOUR right there arent many in South County RIGHT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis