Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 06:29 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,873,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphics View Post
My company moved me in and a few years later told me I was being moved elsewhere. My boss hung around so long that I was unable to contain myself any longer, and burst into tears before his started face. I did not want to leave St. Louis.
I am facing something similar, there is a chance we are getting transferred with my husbands job. I am always ready for an adventure, but I will be really sad to leave. I've been here for about 6 years now and I still love exploring the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 12:14 AM

7 posts, read 23,024 times
Default Thanks everyone!!

Hi everyone,
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who posted responses! I feel a lot better about my upcoming move. Now all I have to do is figure out where to live. I'm happy to see that apts in nicer areas of the city are so ridiculously inexpensive relative to what I'm used to. Out here, you're looking at at least $1100.00/month just to get into a safe neighborhood, then you have to add another 200-300 for water,trash,sewer, and electric (which may or may not be turned off randomly during summer months.) It seems like there's quite a bit in the St. Louis city/burbs for considerably less than that. Can't wait to move! Thanks again....

Old 09-03-2009, 09:13 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,010,710 times
Our mortgage is only $1300 a month. We are about 100 meters off the Lake in Lake Saint Louis - walk to the docks (2nd Safest city in the state, 9th Best place to Live in the Country-Money Magazine-). Its pretty damn cheap to live here.

You start paying 1100 in rent, you really should look into buying.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:31 PM

419 posts, read 1,333,116 times
My hubby worked for Monsanto for years where there were constantly newbies coming in and out. Just make sure that you don't compromise location and access to the city amenities that you are truly seeking for housing. My best advice. The coworkers that turned out to be miserable, were those who were initally excited for access to the Zoo, Magic House, and Cardinal Games. When home searching, however, they were drawn towards new. Note: not a lot of new cosntruction in STL county. They opted for the walk-in closets and sunken tubs over location, only found in St Charles County in their price range. The result: a lengthy commute and feeling deprived of the cultural amentities that they were seeking in St Louis.in the 1st place . There is definitely a middle ground here in St Louis, but most times it's sacrificing some property amenities when money is an issue...

Old 09-03-2009, 02:02 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,781,549 times
I can attest to that, although from a renting perspective. We moved here and lived our first year in the city. Very happy. We are now renting in a city burb. Happy, but it's not the same. We miss the city.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:03 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,010,710 times
All depends on what is important to you. Your lifestyle should not be one of living to work.

I chose Lake Saint Louis because of the Water and Boating Activities. Some people like to venture out further because they like hunting and nature. You can hit that kind of lifestyle within 40 miles. Still a relatively easy commute.

The Museums and Downtown are only 35 miles away, I can do that on my bike if the bridges across the Missouri were cyclist friendly (whats up with that?). The Museums are great and the zoo are great but you can't spend every weekend there.

Last edited by DinsdalePirahna; 09-03-2009 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 09-03-2009, 02:25 PM

419 posts, read 1,333,116 times
Exactly! And there are some parts of the city that are more transplant friendly than others. St Louis is a town with deep roots...

Old 09-03-2009, 02:35 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,781,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
The Museums and Downtown are only 35 miles away, I can do that on my bike ...
You are more of a man/woman than I am lol.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:36 AM

486 posts, read 1,035,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
You are more of a man/woman than I am lol.
haha! I agree with you there...not sure I'd feel like spending an afternoon at the zoo, or a museum, etc, if I had just pedaled 35 miles on a bike (one way) to get there!

Old 09-04-2009, 07:49 AM

486 posts, read 1,035,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
All depends on what is important to you. Your lifestyle should not be one of living to work.

I chose Lake Saint Louis because of the Water and Boating Activities. Some people like to venture out further because they like hunting and nature. You can hit that kind of lifestyle within 40 miles. Still a relatively easy commute.

The Museums and Downtown are only 35 miles away, I can do that on my bike if the bridges across the Missouri were cyclist friendly (whats up with that?). The Museums are great and the zoo are great but you can't spend every weekend there.
I'm not sure what living near the city has to do with 'living to work'. One could say the same about people who live out in the countryside or far removed suburbs who 'live to commute'. 1.5 to 2 hours a day, 45-60 hours a month, and 540-720 hours a year, doesn't equal time well spent in my book.

Also, a lot of people don't prefer to spend their days off mowing a big lawn, pruning the trees, or even hunting, etc. It's definitely about lifestyle choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis