Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2009, 09:52 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,656,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I guess you didn't read the article you posted, only a little over 75% are finishing HS, it just dipped down to slightly less then 25 % dropping out.

BROOKSVILLE - Hernando County's graduation rate crept up during the 2007-08 school year to 76.9 percent, making it among the counties to help the state hit a record high, according to figures released by the state Wednesday.
That's an increase of 1.8 percent compared to the previous year.
Meanwhile, slightly fewer Hernando students opted to abandon school last year. The dropout rate for the 2007-08 year came in at 2.8 percent, down a half percentage point from the previous year.
Graduaation rate and dropout rate are 2 vastly different things, that is why they included them both in the article. According to The Manhattan Institute the national graduration rate is 70%, looks like Hernando is doing OK with a rate about 7% above the national average.

You didn't read the article the dropout rate decreased slightly (2.8%) from the previous year. There are still almost 25 % dropping out.

You read it wrong.

Uh, no. You read it wrong. Try reading where it says "The dropout rate for the 2007-08 year came in at 2.8 percent, down a half percentage point from the previous year."

Only 76.9% graduated, therefore ALMOST 25 % DIDN"T.

AGAIN the droput rate lowered by 2.8 %, the dropout rate is NOT 2.8%

It is hovering around 25 %.

And everyone in the area knows about Oak Hill, there is a lawsuit going on right now with a man who was killed because he was give another patient's meds.

You post unsubstantiated drivel whereas I posted a link to show that Oak Hill was awarded a Clinical Excellence award. I guess we will have to let those that read this decide who to believe.

They also have a very high infection rate.

People need to make their own choices but the schools and the healthcare in HC is not good.

Most people who live there know to go at least to Tampa or up north for surgery.

You are a little over the top with arguing with people over traffic and taking pictures...LOL.

Did you really have to dig that far back in my posts to try and find something to come after me for? I drive every day and always have my camera. It did not take any time out of my day to take the pictures and then post them here. It helped to show that the person that was claiming Hernando County had terrible traffic was dead wrong. Not over the top at all.

I guess there are no DUI's here either or horrific car crashes, the papers are making that all up.

You got me here. Hernando County is the only place in the nation that has DUI's and crashes.
filler
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 02:39 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,588,533 times
Yes, Mike your right as usual. Sure there are DUI's here, just like anywhere else, but with a small town like this, three is too many. Crashes, bad one day before yesterday on Spring Hill Drive, near Linden Dr.
and Carrin Rd. 3/4 cars. There are many driving around with revoked/suspended license's, too many elderly drivers causing accidents that should't be on the road. Young teens with little driving experience drag racing on Spring Hill Drive. Great that your office is closing on homes. But you mean to tell me that with 3,000 homes for sale, their all not priced right, if that's the case, then someone's not doing their job correctly. In order to sell homes, people need jobs, there are nearly 8,000 people in this county with no jobs, so how can they buy homes, true, those that can have a decent income, but what I'm saying is that this county needs more industry to attract businesses, then we will see this county flourish again. Just my two cents.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:41 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,656,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird42 View Post
Yes, Mike your right as usual. Sure there are DUI's here, just like anywhere else, but with a small town like this, three is too many. Crashes, bad one day before yesterday on Spring Hill Drive, near Linden Dr.
and Carrin Rd. 3/4 cars. There are many driving around with revoked/suspended license's, too many elderly drivers causing accidents that should't be on the road. Young teens with little driving experience drag racing on Spring Hill Drive. Great that your office is closing on homes. But you mean to tell me that with 3,000 homes for sale, their all not priced right, if that's the case, then someone's not doing their job correctly. In order to sell homes, people need jobs, there are nearly 8,000 people in this county with no jobs, so how can they buy homes, true, those that can have a decent income, but what I'm saying is that this county needs more industry to attract businesses, then we will see this county flourish again. Just my two cents.
It is a Realtors job to advise the seller where the home should be priced.
If they choose to ignore the recommendation there is not much we can do.
I for one will usually walk away from an extremely overpriced listing.

I agree we need more jobs here, unfortunately right now we have serious problems all over and it is bad here due to the large amount that rely on construction for work.

The expansion of the Airport Business Park could help but they need to draw the industry here.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:32 PM

236 posts, read 901,366 times
I followed the advise of the realtor on the price of Mom's house and it gets no showings. Its in good shape and very clean. 83 year old woman had lived there, how dirty would it get! Mike...your welcome to list it when this contract is over. Personally I dont care for Spring Hill, but thats just my opinion. About the drivers...well I'm a little bitter about that. I agree that there are far too many geratric (not senior citizens) on the roads. My daughter was hit head on by an 89 year old man, who didnt realize that he was in a car or driving! Tell me he should have had his license! My daughter sustained head and neck injuries that are permanent, because of the trauma she developed epilepsy, and will live with it the rest of her life. I do beleive that accidents are much higher in Spring Hill than other places, an officer once told me most of the accidents usually involve the elderly. I have an AARP card too, but there comes a time when its time to let someone else do the driving. I made my Mother turn her license in, not only for others safety but for her own!

Old 07-15-2009, 11:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,566 times
How does Hernando County compare to Hillsborough? Pros and cons please... I currently live in Hillsborough County (Lithia) and looking into building in Spring Hill. Is this a bad move?

Old 07-15-2009, 05:24 PM

162 posts, read 677,930 times
It depends. If you are coming from a place like Fish Hawk, then you would have a rude awakening. If you are on a single lot out in the land then maybe it's not so different from what you are used to.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:30 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
If you work in Tampa do you want a 90 mile commute round trip everyday? If you are retired and don't have to travel it is one thing, but if you have to commute it would be awful.

And Blue 717 is right about the drivers there. Awful, we had a relative t-boned in SH on Spring Hill Drive, same thing an elderly woman didn't know what she was doing.

When you have 5,000 homes for sale and almost 3,000 in foreclosure it is a buyers market.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:42 AM

713 posts, read 2,671,335 times
Default You want to see bad traffic, bad drivers?

Head south to Dade/Broward/Palm Beach Co's. I've lived in both Spring Hill and S. FL and the traffic is SH is a walk in the park compared to S. FL. Oh, and there are old people and crappy drivers all over the country. More so now than ever. If they're young and have their faculties, they're eating, smoking, texting, cell phoning. If they're old and don't have their faculties...see the former. It balances out.

Drive defensively, have eyes in the back of your head, stay off the cell phone and you'll do okay.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:54 AM

Default Because of high taxes (now called fees), many are leaving NY to move to Florida.

We're running several ads for a house we're selling in SH and are finding one of the destinations on many WNYorkers' list is Spring Hill.

Perhaps when these empty houses start filling up, more commerce will be necessary and things will start booming again. It is a pretty town and deserves good things. Know who you are voting in and get involved.

Many houses in several cities that are renting will draw low-incomers. Not all but many so you will see slackers move into every 'hood, USA. It's not fair but with Obama's plan, that's what's happening.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:59 AM

Croak Hill. LOL And one poster called Spring Hill, Spring Hell. Or was it Spring Kill? Anyway, my SO had treatment in a west Boca Raton hospital and because of negligence he is now totally deaf in one ear. Crap happens all over the place and it's a sin that the little guy suffers. No matter where we live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay