Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 05:50 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post
You're right. Speaking in averages, there are only FIVE months of weather when the highs are less than 80, not 6. During one of those months (April), the high is 81.

Average Weather for Tampa, FL - Temperature and Precipitation

Your 3 month assertion is obviously inaccurate.
This past April was the hottest one on record. With the exception of the third week(I know because we had out of state guests and it coincided with temps in the high 70s and low 80s and dry) it was over 90 degrees starting in early April.

Yet certain posters come on here and lie about the weather. Let's face facts it is hot and humid here most of the year.

One realtor said you only need your A/C 5 months out of the year...LOL.

It was 86 degrees last Thanksgiving.

It was over 80 degrees on Christmas.

So what months have daytime highs in the 70s for 5 or 6 months?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 06:38 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,607,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
This past April was the hottest one on record. With the exception of the third week(I know because we had out of state guests and it coincided with temps in the high 70s and low 80s and dry) it was over 90 degrees starting in early April.

Yet certain posters come on here and lie about the weather. Let's face facts it is hot and humid here most of the year.

One realtor said you only need your A/C 5 months out of the year...LOL.

It was 86 degrees last Thanksgiving.

It was over 80 degrees on Christmas.

So what months have daytime highs in the 70s for 5 or 6 months?
Those would be January, February, March, November, and December, according to weather.com. (see aforementioned link)

I don't know.... *I* only need AC for 5 months out of the year. I only set it at 81 or 82 and if it gets any colder I'm looking for my sweater.

Yes, it's hot and humid. No need to exaggerate it. If people don't like heat, this is not a good place to live. I just get sick and tired of the "OMG!!! It's so HOT!! I had no idea it would be like this!!!!! It's 150 degrees for 11 months out of 12!! No one should ever live here!!"

I guess I woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:56 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
agreed. the seasons are mild, warm, brutal, warm.

the real question people who are considering moving down need to ask themselves is do they like being warm for the majority of the year.
I can't rep you again, but what you said is the whole deal. I'm a midwest native, for the last two years splitting time between a place near the water in Pinellas County and "back home." We just finished four more great weeks in Florida. Back in the midwest we missed a couple days of lows in the 30's, a lot of highs in the 50's with drizzle, and some normal (more temperate) fall weather.

I spent the whole four weeks in Florida in shorts. The highs were 91-92, 84-86 at sunset--but when you are sitting on the beach at Honeymoon Island watching the birds fish, and the fish jump while the sun heads for the horizon with the sea breeze in your face, 86 is just fine. I swam laps in the pool every day at noon, except a couple days where I had to defer until after sunset due to the quick storms that blow through. Early morning walks with the puppy, shorts and a T-shirt versus jeans and a coat--it's a matter pf personal preference as to which is better, but I know what I like. Even in the middle of the day, lunch at a beachside restaurant on Clearwater Beach feels like heaven, under the umbrellas on the patio.

So what you said, "do they like being warm for the majority of the year" is absolutely the key. Some posters are heat-intolerant; I am cold-intolerant. No right or wrong here.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:06 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Those would be January, February, March, November, and December, according to weather.com. (see aforementioned link)

I don't know.... *I* only need AC for 5 months out of the year. I only set it at 81 or 82 and if it gets any colder I'm looking for my sweater.

Yes, it's hot and humid. No need to exaggerate it. If people don't like heat, this is not a good place to live. I just get sick and tired of the "OMG!!! It's so HOT!! I had no idea it would be like this!!!!! It's 150 degrees for 11 months out of 12!! No one should ever live here!!"

I guess I woke up on the wrong side of the bed.
I guess you did.

I guess my post went over your head. I'm talking about posters(one of them is on this thread) who said we have 6 months of 70 degree daytime temps with nighttime temps in the 50s.

We do not.

It is not in the 70s as a high daytime temp from Nov through March here.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I guess you did.

I guess my post went over your head. I'm talking about posters(one of them is on this thread) who said we have 6 months of 70 degree daytime temps with nighttime temps in the 50s.

We do not.

It is not in the 70s as a high daytime temp from Nov through March here.
Cite your source please.

According to the link I posted, the poster you are talking about is a heck of a lot closer to actual numbers than you are.

ETA: Here's a couple more links just for verification:

http://www.rssweather.com/climate/Florida/Tampa/

http://countrystudies.us/united-stat...rida/tampa.htm

Last edited by Maggi07; 09-23-2011 at 07:57 PM..

Old 09-23-2011, 08:08 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,239,806 times
well, it seems that your info is correct although I guess the number that matters is the heat index which would be CONSIDERABLY higher than the actual temp. I agree with the point that there are about 3 months of nice weather here. There are a few months in between which aren't too bad but I would still say there hot. I would also feel comfortable saying that leaving your ac at 80+ degrees is not normal here ( work in 10+ different houses a day ). Even if it is technically 80, it will feel like its well over 90 with the amount of humidity.

Its a great place to visit or if you have the money to live directly on the gulf and catch the sea breeze. For the rest of us poor folk that dont have 1mil + to put down on a house on the water, its hot.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:44 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,388,153 times
Quote:
Cite your source please.

According to the link I posted, the poster you are talking about is a heck of a lot closer to actual numbers than you are.

ETA: Here's a couple more links just for verification:

Climate in Tampa, Florida

Tampa Weather - Florida - Average Temperatures and Rainfall
those numbers are essentially meaningless since, again, you absolutely must take the heat index into account 9 months out of the year in tampa.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:53 PM

This is a ridiculous conversation.

I'm not allowed to argue against specific points made because someone decides we are in fact talking about something else altogether.

Heat index is a subjective measure, and therefore not arguable in this context. So, again, if someone wants to say they personally feel hot 9 months out of the year, fine. But do not assert that your subjective experience is fact.

Go ahead and discuss whatever, however you want. I'm starting to remember why I rarely come to this forum anymore.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:32 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,139,630 times
Just my opinion, but the only time I wish I didn't live in FL is about mid-June till about Oct 1..... the rest of the time is paradise.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:56 PM

677 posts, read 934,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacmama32 View Post
LOL that is funny as long and no one get's hurt. We slip on ice so it's the same I guess.

Doesn't it only rain for a short period of time then <poof> gone?
But is it really? In your part of the state how frequently would you say you get ice & snow? How about blizzards? I live in the north as well & during the winter months primarily Jan & Feb we might get 3-4 storms, maybe, & the snow accumilation runs 3"-6" average. We might get 1 blizzard for the season, 2 is rare, but most winters blizzards are a rarity, a white Christmas is really rare. But after reading what posters have described as FL being consistantly hot, & I do mean hot & humid for 6-9 months out of the year I think dealing with our winters is the lesser of 2 evils. Aside from ice, snow, & blizzards if you want to compare the cold tempertures here as a villain then I'm inclined to agree with you, cause it does get bone chilling cold (Jan & Feb) & that's the truth, but even that at least where I live is not the norm every single day during winter.

As far as FL goes I've often wondered how women can wear foundation on their faces, my experience was as soon as I went outside of the airport in Orlando it slid down my face, made me a nasty greasy looking thing. And wearing wigs? That's got to be out of the question, I'd even have a hard time wearing nylon stockings there. Now in all due fairness during the summer months here up north I can't wear any of that stuff, it's just too hot, & this past summer was extremely hot for the north, so I know if I lived in FL with the exception of lipstick all of my makeup would be thrown in the trash. I know women of FL do wear it, I just don't know how they wear it or can stand it?

But listen, you know your tolerence level for heat & humidity, you said you've visited FL several times so I guess you know what to expect. But what is your tolerence for insects? That's another story, they've got insects down there you've never had to deal with up north like huge flying cockroaches & lovebugs. As far as moving there, NEVER EVER LISTEN TO YOUR HEART, cause it's a habitial liar, it'll tell you what ever you want to believe so instead listen to your common sense, better known as your intuition cause your intuition will never lead you wrong, but that is if you actually listen to it. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay