Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 08:51 PM

409 posts, read 1,505,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjtoledo View Post
Today, my wife, 6 year old daughter and I took a kayak trip from honeymoon island to caladesi (not sure of the spelling). The weather was perfect for kayaking (mid 70s). It was a pleasant trip and quiet entertaining for my daughter. Once we arrived at the island I just sat and admired paradise, and watched my daughter run back and forth on the beach and do cart wheels, while my wife looked for sea shells. Sounds like a tourism commercial, but it was very real. While on the island, I was reminded why we moved to the area…
I live a half mile from the Dunedin Causeway so I do that as well. When I am busy and working I sometimes forget how beautiful the area really is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 02:19 PM

1 posts, read 6,227 times
Default Tampa from NJ- the quest to find the perfect place to live!

We are also leaving a great town (Moorestown, NJ) for the Tampa area. We enjoy the 'center of town' atmosphere also, and my family (husband, myself, two boys 5 and 8) love walking up to town for dinner, seeing friends, festivals, etc. We decided to move to a warmer climate and liked what the Tampa area offers. The neighborhood quest has been more difficult than I expected- there are so many to choose from and they all are so different! My husband started his job down there in October, while the kids and I stay up here to try to sell our home. He has been doing some legwork checking out the different areas, and me and the kids spent last week down there with him checking them out for ourselves. My husband and I both feel drawn to Safety Harbor and some of the South Tampa areas (Hyde Park for one)- the two areas are very different and we wish we could find a place that combines both! We are leaning towards joining him down there and renting for awhile to figure out what is right for us. The housing in the South Tampa areas we like is astronomical- very similar to where we live know, which we were hoping to avoid. We liked the upscale shopping area in hyde park, and liked being so close to Channelside and all the goings on in that area- seemed like a fun place to walk with the kids, eat dinner on the water, etc. Safety Harbor has a more laid back feel, which we like, too, and we love the area along the water and the downtown section that is closer to the spa. We just are not sure about some of the areas in Safety Harbor- they seem a bit run down. We looked at Dunedin, East Lake, Palm Harbor, Westchase, Waterchase, Clearwater and the beaches, St. Pete.... Schools are very important to us, too, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe South Tampa wins over Safety Harbor in that?? We just want to make the right choice for our family- being close to water is very important to us, too- so that is why we ruled out Westchase and Waterchase, as well as Eastlake area- we want to be able to take a walk along the water after dinner, etc. If anyone has any additional feedback on the points I mentioned, PLEASE give it- I won't take any offense if I am way off base on something!!!!
Thanks!!!

Old 11-12-2007, 11:49 PM

6 posts, read 36,468 times
Default My advice on the areas . . .

I am writing to you from Chicago, but have family in Clearwater and friends through-out Tampa and am very familiar with the areas you discussed.

WestChase is very the wealthy. I had a townhouse there. You will be paying very high yearly community fees i.e., $1000 per year just to live in the community. All other communities you mentioned are very nice for families but far to downtown Tampa. Carrollwood is very nice (near Westchase).

You will not have that "smal town feel" really anywhere except Hyde Park which is a suburb of downtown Tampa, cobblestone streets, charmed homes, you can walk everywhere (its really a great town). So much to do there, BUT it is a high end area. That's my favorite area. I'm 44 years old and would move there in a heartbeat. Friends of mine moved from downtown Tampa (because of the high taxes) to Riverside (including my brother) which is a newer community (about a 35 minute drive to downtown).

You need to really research the property/home as well to make sure that there aren't any "sink holes". My friend purchased a $500,000 home to find out it was sitting on a sink hole (she didn't do her research) and ended paying $10,000 to have it repaired. Your insurance company will inform you of that though. Ask a lot of questions.

I have been looking to relocate myself to Tampa because I cannot stand Chicago and the only thing keeping me here is my income.

The people in Florida area extremely nice and helpful. Although, what I noticed is that there is a large influx of drug users old and young in Tampa so be very careful of that.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:54 PM

6 posts, read 36,468 times
Stay away from St. Petersburg, a lot of crime

Old 11-14-2007, 06:29 AM

64 posts, read 180,001 times
Default From a N. Tampa Native...

I was born & raised in Tampa and I am currently 34. We have been in Orlando for 5 years and just came back...not too much has changed. I live in Odessa, which is 5 miles form Westchase. I agree w/ the other posters about Westchase, but it is by far, IMO, THE best place for someone w/ children to relocate. The community is very involved in their neighbors, social events, etc... There are 2 parks w/i the community, one which is hidden from view. I think your family would quickly meet people and feel very comfortable there. Also, you are in close proximity to major malls, restaurants and the Veterans' Expressway....which takes you quickly to South Tampa. Also, close to Dale Mabry Hwy, where you will travel to for just about anything you need!
Just a thought...good luck w/ your move!

Old 11-30-2007, 11:18 AM

65 posts, read 354,647 times
Default Dunedin Florida has a lot to offer... find photos and information

Hello hjtoledo,

I live and work in Dunedin. There is a lot to love about this place. There is a website you should check out, a blog actually. If you Google the phrase Dunedin Daily Photo, you will find lots of cool photos and information about Dunedin, Florida.

Wayne

Old 12-29-2007, 08:37 AM

43 posts, read 258,521 times
Default Thanks

I will certainly check out the site. We will start actively looking for a home in the Dunedin area, since we've just signed a contract to sell our home in Philly. Anyone know any exceptional full time realtors in the Dunedin area?

Old 12-29-2007, 09:54 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,701,083 times
An upside....lower cost of living....downfall....lower pay....

Old 12-30-2007, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trabbz View Post
I live a half mile from the Dunedin Causeway so I do that as well. When I am busy and working I sometimes forget how beautiful the area really is.
Trabbz, when you are busy, and forget how beautiful this place is... just Google the phrase Dunedin Daily Photo, and you can get a nice reminder! It also works for Clearwater Beach Daily Photo and Clearwater Daily Photo.

Thanks,

Wayne

Old 12-30-2007, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampa_bound View Post
We are also leaving a great town (Moorestown, NJ) for the Tampa area. We enjoy the 'center of town' atmosphere also, and my family (husband, myself, two boys 5 and 8) love walking up to town for dinner, seeing friends, festivals, etc. We decided to move to a warmer climate and liked what the Tampa area offers. The neighborhood quest has been more difficult than I expected- there are so many to choose from and they all are so different! My husband started his job down there in October, while the kids and I stay up here to try to sell our home. He has been doing some legwork checking out the different areas, and me and the kids spent last week down there with him checking them out for ourselves. My husband and I both feel drawn to Safety Harbor and some of the South Tampa areas (Hyde Park for one)- the two areas are very different and we wish we could find a place that combines both! We are leaning towards joining him down there and renting for awhile to figure out what is right for us. The housing in the South Tampa areas we like is astronomical- very similar to where we live know, which we were hoping to avoid. We liked the upscale shopping area in hyde park, and liked being so close to Channelside and all the goings on in that area- seemed like a fun place to walk with the kids, eat dinner on the water, etc. Safety Harbor has a more laid back feel, which we like, too, and we love the area along the water and the downtown section that is closer to the spa. We just are not sure about some of the areas in Safety Harbor- they seem a bit run down. We looked at Dunedin, East Lake, Palm Harbor, Westchase, Waterchase, Clearwater and the beaches, St. Pete.... Schools are very important to us, too, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe South Tampa wins over Safety Harbor in that?? We just want to make the right choice for our family- being close to water is very important to us, too- so that is why we ruled out Westchase and Waterchase, as well as Eastlake area- we want to be able to take a walk along the water after dinner, etc. If anyone has any additional feedback on the points I mentioned, PLEASE give it- I won't take any offense if I am way off base on something!!!!
Thanks!!!
tampa_bound, I wish I knew more about the schools in Dunedin... but I can tell you I often see people enjoying the walk from the waterfront to the downtown restaurants in the evening. It really is beautiful. If you Google my blog, Dunedin Daily Photo, you can see a lot of photography from the area. I have some nice shots from downtown and the waterfront also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay