Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 10:31 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,660,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Stay in NY then
Did you even read what I wrote??? Stop and read what you are commenting on before posting... Otherwise you come off as a bully or an idiot...

Old 07-08-2016, 10:49 PM

131 posts, read 139,866 times
I had tried to post the list of links but the software produced a block.
One crime resource would be
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Elevation
https://www.daftlogic.com/sandbox-go...d-altitude.htm
Dirty Water
State to begin investigation of St. Petersburg sewage dump | Tampa Bay Times

Last edited by Yac; 08-04-2016 at 07:22 AM..

Old 07-08-2016, 11:13 PM

The question was
"Thinking of moving to St.Petersburg but afraid of crime. Any insight?"
I provided what data is currently available.
I would be open to learning something from MAniacTHW but s/he seems to display nothing but rhetoric.

Yes there are nice places in the area, and many here have provided their view. What some are basing their observations on is a quandary at times, but I would suspect in the end accurate assessments would be most satisfying to the inquirer.

Sure as some have suggested, you can drive down there and look around, see what you like, but will that inform you that there's a 100 million dollar sewer debt underground? Will looking around let you know that the attractive houses and areas you like are inaccessible in a rain event? Will you learn by looking at a neighborhood that your flood insurance will cost more than your mortgage? If you're considering relocation wouldn't it be convenient to find all the pertinent info on a single website?

Old 07-09-2016, 06:09 AM

163 posts, read 184,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leenme View Post
The question was
"Thinking of moving to St.Petersburg but afraid of crime. Any insight?"
I provided what data is currently available.
I would be open to learning something from MAniacTHW but s/he seems to display nothing but rhetoric.

Yes there are nice places in the area, and many here have provided their view. What some are basing their observations on is a quandary at times, but I would suspect in the end accurate assessments would be most satisfying to the inquirer.

Sure as some have suggested, you can drive down there and look around, see what you like, but will that inform you that there's a 100 million dollar sewer debt underground? Will looking around let you know that the attractive houses and areas you like are inaccessible in a rain event? Will you learn by looking at a neighborhood that your flood insurance will cost more than your mortgage? If you're considering relocation wouldn't it be convenient to find all the pertinent info on a single website?
You come across as part of the contingent here that thinks anything outside of the 'burbs is dangerous and disgusting, when, in reality, there are two types of people: (1) Those who prefer an urban environment and want to be close to the action and are willing to deal with randomized property crimes and some crowding and congestion, and ; and (2) those who prefer a more sheltered, homogeneous environment and are willing to drive a bit to reach modern conveniences and deal with longer commutes. Both types of people have valid reasons for choosing the urban vs. suburban environment, but every post doesn't have to be a debate about which is better. When I see posts asking about New Tampa, Oldsmar, and the like, I just don't read them, because I know I don't have a valid opinion since I've never even been to those places, much less lived in them. I think the "suburban" contingent should do the same when asked about places with which they aren't really familiar or have some vendetta against simply because the areas don't conform with their chosen lifestyle. The St. Pete of today is a completely different place than it was even 5 years ago, so those who lived and/or worked here in the past may not be qualified to speak to what St. Pete is now.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:30 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,660,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyb2013 View Post
You come across as part of the contingent here that thinks anything outside of the 'burbs is dangerous and disgusting, when, in reality, there are two types of people: (1) Those who prefer an urban environment and want to be close to the action and are willing to deal with randomized property crimes and some crowding and congestion, and ; and (2) those who prefer a more sheltered, homogeneous environment and are willing to drive a bit to reach modern conveniences and deal with longer commutes. Both types of people have valid reasons for choosing the urban vs. suburban environment, but every post doesn't have to be a debate about which is better. When I see posts asking about New Tampa, Oldsmar, and the like, I just don't read them, because I know I don't have a valid opinion since I've never even been to those places, much less lived in them. I think the "suburban" contingent should do the same when asked about places with which they aren't really familiar or have some vendetta against simply because the areas don't conform with their chosen lifestyle. The St. Pete of today is a completely different place than it was even 5 years ago, so those who lived and/or worked here in the past may not be qualified to speak to what St. Pete is now.
Well stated

Old 07-09-2016, 02:19 PM

I reside in the Urban environment while pointing out many of the real issues that face the St Pete urban dweller. While I understand your maligned view I could just as easily conclude that it's a defensive posture. You've provided no actual factual information on why St Pete could be considered a safe place to reside. For the most part I'm discovering that people like to market their area, perhaps to support the choice to live there. But is it safe, not in comparison to 97% of the American Cities that have less crime.
Is it a clean environment? Not when the City neglects it's 100 year old sewer system for 50 years. Is it a good investment? Not in the face of the high weather risk factors. Does it have good schools, not according the measurement reports. What makes St Pete attractive, it doesn't have snow banks. Though they will provide you with sand bags free of charge. They have booze and food galore, but they don't have the sewer system capable of handling the endless nights of gluttony while its raining.

And tonight our main attraction iiiissss..Bread & Circuses...can you feel the excitement?
Can you smell last night's diner percolating from underground?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyb2013 View Post

Old 07-09-2016, 02:26 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,021,082 times
Quote:
But is it safe, not in comparison to 97% of the American Cities that have less crime.
Damn. The United States must be a pretty safe place then.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:21 PM

Bracing for another riot MAniacTHW...I would suspect some are.
I don't compile the statistical data on St Pete, I'm just passing it along.
Welcome to St Pete....don't ask...don't smell.
Hey...up in the sky, its a bird, its a plane, it's another police helicopter.

You can fool some unsuspecting young lady with the flavor of the month nightclub and restaurant lure, but you can't fool and old fool. St Pete is a painted stinky powder keg with too many people with nothing constructive to do, and a natural disaster waiting to happen. Have fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Damn. The United States must be a pretty safe place then.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:27 PM

163 posts, read 184,052 times
Quote:
Bracing for another riot MAniacTHW...I would suspect some are.
I don't compile the statistical data on St Pete, I'm just passing it along.
Welcome to St Pete....don't ask...don't smell.
Hey...up in the sky, its a bird, its a plane, it's another police helicopter.

You can fool some unsuspecting young lady with the flavor of the month nightclub and restaurant lure, but you can't fool and old fool. St Pete is a painted stinky powder keg with too many people with nothing constructive to do, and a natural disaster waiting to happen. Have fun!
It's just a simple difference of opinion. Different people are looking for different things in a place to call home. I've lived in New Orleans and near Upper King in Charleston before it gentrified and became super swanky, so St. Pete seems like Disney World in terms of safety, cleanliness, and as a hurricane magnet. But I enjoy cities with old growth trees, beautiful historic homes, and vibrancy. To each his own.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:58 PM

71 posts, read 78,294 times
You need to be worried a helluva lot more about inclement weather than crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay