Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 03:58 AM

131 posts, read 139,885 times

Advertisements

Again... down town provides plenty of places to consume food & booze, and sure you can buy another picture to hang on your wall...but what was the question? Was it... is there enough booze in St Pete? No
Can I see the dirty water with a drink in one hand and a leg of lamb appointed with a garder-belt in the other?.. NO
Was the question where can I get a Foofoo platter? No
The question was about safety.

Many may think its a crime the way Americans lust for food, booze and the plastic facade, but that's another topic.

Is St Pete safe? Not according to statistics. High Crime, neglected infrastructure, vulnerable to natural disasters and more than likely will be attacked by locals online who can't comprehend the written word.

Old 07-13-2016, 04:57 AM

Roscoe, are you refuting the statistics and news reports?
There were 16,300 recorded crimes last year and 13,500 arrests in St Pete.

Oh, but look, the sun is shinning this morning, there can't be crime in St. Pete.
Only 45 victims today. Let me guess you were at a restaurant deciding which art gallery to view?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
That's not the St Petersburg I recognise from the afternoon I spent in it yesterday.
Like most places I know my city is as good or as bad as the hue of the rose-tinted spectacles you wear when visiting it.
But a scene from Blade Runner it ain't.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:10 AM

747 posts, read 1,013,339 times
To think, according to NYPD statistics, there were 116,866 various crimes in NYC year to date, yet people still live there, work there, visit there, eat at restaurants and enjoy the multitude of galleries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leenme View Post

Oh, but look, the sun is shinning this morning, there can't be crime in St. Pete.
Only 45 victims today. Let me guess you were at a restaurant deciding which art gallery to view?

Old 07-13-2016, 11:54 AM

163 posts, read 184,125 times
Quote:
Again... down town provides plenty of places to consume food & booze, and sure you can buy another picture to hang on your wall...but what was the question? Was it... is there enough booze in St Pete? No
Can I see the dirty water with a drink in one hand and a leg of lamb appointed with a garder-belt in the other?.. NO
Was the question where can I get a Foofoo platter? No
The question was about safety.

Many may think its a crime the way Americans lust for food, booze and the plastic facade, but that's another topic.

Is St Pete safe? Not according to statistics. High Crime, neglected infrastructure, vulnerable to natural disasters and more than likely will be attacked by locals online who can't comprehend the written word.
Do you have some personal vendetta against St. Pete? Your ridiculous comments are completely destroying your credibility. I don't *love* St. Pete yet, but having lived in a number of highly populated metro areas, I can say from experience that it's safe compared to most major cities. Of course there are shady areas (although I've yet to actually find one). Of course there is property crime, but as long as you stay in high traffic or nice residential areas, you have nothing to worry about.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:01 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gauchere90 View Post
I decided to move to Florida for a change of scenery; however, despite having some cousins in St.Pete, I was afraid to move there because of crime statistics

I am starting to think that St.Pete might fit this bill! However, I still have reservations due to the crime in St.Pete. I have read that it is one of the most dangerous cities in the United States despite its relatively small size. I have also observed, just from driving around down there, that there do not seem to be great stretches of nice, safe, areas like in Columbus.

I just really don't want to move there and get robbed/mugged/shot/raped.
Solution seems obvious.. =Dont move to St Pete.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:02 PM

Silly you, as I stated I did not assemble the police report or create the catastrophic storm analysis, nor did I dump millions of gallons of sewerage into the bay in response to a neglected sewer system, I only presented the results here to answer the question about safety and why St Pete is not safe.
You, on the otherhand, like so many others here have focused on attacking me instead of providing credible data to refute the facts. You want to be a promoter, a marketeer rather than an honest broker of information....and you question my credibility? Were you here during the Riots when many areas in the city were on fire? Were you here when groups of people blocked traffic, and sidewalks for months on end in protest? One mistake by the police and the riots will resume. Fortunately for you, today the State of Florida requires that terrorist acts be included on your homeowners insurance policy.
The inquiry was about moving to St Pete not visiting. She would be investing. Do the facts present a rational argument for long term investment? Time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyb2013 View Post
Do you have some personal vendetta against St. Pete? Your ridiculous comments are completely destroying your credibility. I don't *love* St. Pete yet, but having lived in a number of highly populated metro areas, I can say from experience that it's safe compared to most major cities. Of course there are shady areas (although I've yet to actually find one). Of course there is property crime, but as long as you stay in high traffic or nice residential areas, you have nothing to worry about.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:00 PM

747 posts, read 1,013,339 times
statistics are one thing, location of crimes are quite another. that is true of any major city.

most crimes of consequence are concentrated in bad areas. is that not a surprise?

you're skewing the aggregate data to present a picture that just doesn't exist in certain parts of st. pete, or at least not in the magnitude you're portraying.

were the riots back in the day in front of the anheuser-busch estate in pass-a-grille? don't think so.

"los angeles" had riots too not too long ago, yet.....life in westwood, santa monica, bel air, etc. etc. went on the following day.

i'll add that before we bought in st. pete area, i looked at the stats as well as spoke with the p.d. about crime rates and neighborhoods in general. we voted with our wallet. we don't live in fear.

Last edited by SJNE17; 07-13-2016 at 03:21 PM..

Old 07-13-2016, 05:26 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,021,082 times
Quote:

Assuming that all 16,300 of those crimes were done to a unique individual, and the population of St. Pete being 249,688

Then

6% of St. Pete's population is criminal. That means that 94% of St. Pete is full of normal, regular, non violent, non criminal individuals.

Thanks for the stats, though.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:41 PM

Did the question address which area or St Pete in general? Right
I answered the general question.

Pass-a-grille is a neighborhood in the city of St Pete Beach...not St. Petersburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJNE17 View Post
statistics are one thing, location of crimes are quite another. that is true of any major city.

most crimes of consequence are concentrated in bad areas. is that not a surprise?

you're skewing the aggregate data to present a picture that just doesn't exist in certain parts of st. pete, or at least not in the magnitude you're portraying.

were the riots back in the day in front of the anheuser-busch estate in pass-a-grille? don't think so.

"los angeles" had riots too not too long ago, yet.....life in westwood, santa monica, bel air, etc. etc. went on the following day.

i'll add that before we bought in st. pete area, i looked at the stats as well as spoke with the p.d. about crime rates and neighborhoods in general. we voted with our wallet. we don't live in fear.

Last edited by Sunscape; 07-16-2016 at 09:16 AM..

Old 07-13-2016, 05:47 PM

The data is provided by the St Petersburg PD, if you are able, to formulate a rational question, perhaps you could address them with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Assuming that all 16,300 of those crimes were done to a unique individual, and the population of St. Pete being 249,688

Then

6% of St. Pete's population is criminal. That means that 94% of St. Pete is full of normal, regular, non violent, non criminal individuals.

Thanks for the stats, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay