Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 07:53 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,455,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Just noticed I was the last post on a closed thread...WOW...feeling proud...maybe going for 2/2...???
LOL, no such luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 08:28 PM

828 posts, read 693,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Everyone was stranded? OMG.....somebody call CNN.

Just be thankful 1,000s didn't perish.

We got off pretty well for a storm that encompassed the entire state.
We don't seem to be talking about the same thing. I'm talking about the poor response by the powers at be not the actual damage caused by the storm. Pointing out the fact that we did get lucky and yet still had to deal with incompetence is not something that should be mocked with "OMG call CNN". People have a right to hold others accountable in my opinion. Try saying OMG call CNN to someone who has had no power for a week while the rest of their city sips mojitos by the pool...or say it to someone who ran out of gas in the middle of the night on I75 with a family of 4 in the car...just because it was not a total disaster does not mean the authorities get a free pass

Old 09-15-2017, 08:53 PM

How about being a little more precise w/ your language. EVERYBODY didn't run out of gas. Many in my community evacuated and didn't.

How about not being so shortsighted. Houston just experienced a catastrophic flooding limiting the amount of fuel available to the rest of the country, including the state of FL. That the third most populated state in the country was able to evacuate so many is credit to the state's emergency response.

That so few lives were lost in the storm is also credit to the emergency response by all the counties of the state.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:55 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,657,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soursop View Post
We don't seem to be talking about the same thing. I'm talking about the poor response by the powers at be not the actual damage caused by the storm. Pointing out the fact that we did get lucky and yet still had to deal with incompetence is not something that should be mocked with "OMG call CNN". People have a right to hold others accountable in my opinion. Try saying OMG call CNN to someone who has had no power for a week while the rest of their city sips mojitos by the pool...or say it to someone who ran out of gas in the middle of the night on I75 with a family of 4 in the car...just because it was not a total disaster does not mean the authorities get a free pass
Not sure what more authorities could have done...don't think anyone was sipping mojitos by the pool anywhere in Florida this week...we had power crews from Canada working on our lines...oh wait let's blame Canada...sometimes life just sucks and isn't fair(some lucky few never lost power and some still don't have any)...I don't think there was a "poor response by the powers at be"...maybe it was misdirected because of the variance of the storm track...but how is that anyone's fault?

Old 09-15-2017, 09:09 PM

4,868 posts, read 2,676,734 times
our power just came back on after 6 days down here in Port Charlotte..I'm thankful and grateful..thank you to all electric workers everywhere..

Old 09-16-2017, 07:21 AM

1,357 posts, read 1,244,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
our power just came back on after 6 days down here in Port Charlotte..I'm thankful and grateful..thank you to all electric workers everywhere..
Nice to hear that progress continues with getting power restored and now you can begin to get your life back to being normal once again.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
Rep

Old 09-16-2017, 08:34 AM

9,537 posts, read 16,525,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
While Florida Power and Light restores electricity to hundreds of thousands a day in South Florida, TECO and the rest of the pathetic power companies in Tampa Bay can't even get the local McDonalds or street lights going again, and it's Day Three. Sad! At this rate we will be without power for two weeks or more for what turned out to be a strong tropical storm in Hillsbo and Pinellas.

Did anyone see these Tampa Bay power companies deploying thousands of trucks in advance of the storm cutting branches and shoring up service lines? Yeah, me neither.

If there is ever a REAL hurricane here, making a direct hit, I won't even come back. I'll stay evacuated and
e-mail my Realtor. As the Wash Post so perfectly said: Tampa Bay is due for a major hurricane and is NOT prepared! SAD!
I agree but I wonder. The region state whatever, doesn't give the impression it's ready for anything It's not just hurricane preparation. Between the Air Force and employment I have lived in 3 Southeastern states. All of them handle difficulties, or life in general especially weather conditions pretty much the same. Either not dealth with or less than adequate.

Here it is Sat. Tomorrow will be a week since Irma hit. Yet half my Mobile Home Park is still without electric. Many of these people are elderly with medical problems. We must be some of the last ones that will get the power on. My power has gone on and off, and I haven't seen the electric company all week. Lot of calls no real info from them. I know their busy but I am concerned about all these elderly being left to fend for themselves. Especially after that tragedy in Hollywood. This entire mess. From electric, gas supplies, lack of food in stores could be handled much better. Especially helping people in distress or can't fend for themselves. I think the state failed miserable. Thankfully I seem to manage and helped where I could, but please turn the damn power on. I'm trying to be hopeful, but I doubt it will be on until next week. Some of these folk don't even have a roof, let alone power. I'm not getting why the county isn't helping them, or some agency. Their more than aware this old park is here and dealing with what I mentioned. I hope none of you reading this have the same situation going on. I know don't live in a Mobile Home in Fla, and your probably right.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:51 AM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,526,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I agree but I wonder. The region state whatever, doesn't give the impression it's ready for anything It's not just hurricane preparation. Between the Air Force and employment I have lived in 3 Southeastern states. All of them handle difficulties, or life in general especially weather conditions pretty much the same. Either not dealth with or less than adequate.

Here it is Sat. Tomorrow will be a week since Irma hit. Yet half my Mobile Home Park is still without electric. Many of these people are elderly with medical problems. We must be some of the last ones that will get the power on. My power has gone on and off, and I haven't seen the electric company all week. Lot of calls no real info from them. I know their busy but I am concerned about all these elderly being left to fend for themselves. Especially after that tragedy in Hollywood. This entire mess. From electric, gas supplies, lack of food in stores could be handled much better. Especially helping people in distress or can't fend for themselves. I think the state failed miserable. Thankfully I seem to manage and helped where I could, but please turn the damn power on. I'm trying to be hopeful, but I doubt it will be on until next week. Some of these folk don't even have a roof, let alone power. I'm not getting why the county isn't helping them, or some agency. Their more than aware this old park is here and dealing with what I mentioned. I hope none of you reading this have the same situation going on. I know don't live in a Mobile Home in Fla, and your probably right.
I can just hope those folks have as much strength as you do and get threw this mess.
This, too, shall pass.

I'm on the north side (Lake Gibson), my power was turned back on Wed.
If there's anything I can do for you, please don't hesitate to send me a PM. I know its hot, your more than welcome to come cool off in the A/C and drink a beer or two or three if you feel like it.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:02 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,855,495 times
Since I know everyone here is dying for my update here it is

Day 7 of no power in South Tampa. Thanks for all of your "hard work" TECO! Especially after such a "devastatingly strong" storm! These "heroes" are doing an "amazing job."

By the way the city of Havana managed to restore power after four days
And Irma at Cat 5 strength.

At this rate even the commies are beating us on infrastructure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay