Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 06:21 AM

325 posts, read 442,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Hurricane Irma hit St. Maarten with 180 mph winds, a completely different and catastrophic scenario. We got 60 mph winds where I'm sitting. The only catastrophe in Tampa was the depth and range of TECO's incompetence.

In addition, we don't live in St. Maarten. We live in the United States, where we work like dogs to pay exorbitant taxes and other costs of living in order to enjoy a First World lifestyle AND A RELIABLE POWER GRID, YES, EVEN AFTER 60 MPH WINDS. We pay a pretty penny to have higher standards than St. Maarten, where the average income is $9,000 a year. It is up to us, especially people like me, to hold politicians and public service companies accountable to those standards.

Got my power back yesterday. Eight days of no power after 60 mph winds. Sad!
You are a pathetic whiner. I would contact the people who lost their homes or lives and see how they can help you cope with not having air conditioning or internet for a week. PS.....nobody likes the 'Internet Grammar Police' either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 07:18 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
He/she is a paying customer of a service a company provides, a company who was given tax funded infrastructure as part of a controlled Monopoly. He has every right to complain. Any company has risk management, teco it seems has failed to properly prepare for this risk (hurricane in Florida), complaining is how things get better, whoever is in charge of that aspect needs to do better, study what South Florida companies did to mitigate the risk better than teco.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:57 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Maybe TECO should take a few lessons from FPL.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ker/652138001/

Old 09-20-2017, 08:09 AM

1,357 posts, read 1,242,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Maybe TECO should take a few lessons from FPL.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ker/652138001/
Did FPL do better than TECO? Not from what I've read, but perhaps you have better information.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:14 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Did FPL do better than TECO? Not from what I've read, but perhaps you have better information.
Yes, I believe so. But they are a much larger company. Incidentally, they had a chance to purchase TECO awhile back, but passed due to too much needed upgrading of TECO systems.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:37 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times
Quote:
Yes, I believe so. But they are a much larger company. Incidentally, they had a chance to purchase TECO awhile back, but passed due to too much needed upgrading of TECO systems.
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now that right there is what I call pathetic! Thanks for the info. Adding this to my letter.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Oh, I thought you had some definitive information to share but just your opinion that TECO could have learned from FPL. I guess you are expert on TECO and how they operate. Again, all info I had read previously is that FPL took longer to bring their customers back online. FPL is 10x the size of TECO, but as of Sept 16 TECO had 1,013 without power while FPL had 33,800 still without power. So not sure why you posted what you did, perhaps just trolling? -> Highlands, Sarasota, Polk have most outages, 1 week after Hurricane Irma

Also.... TECO was acquired by Emera Inc. of Halifax, Nova Scotia in 2015. -> As TECO Energy deal advances, FPL sheds light on why it passed on Tampa utility's sale

Article mentions that FPL passed on the deal due to high amount Emera paid and that they'd have problems with regulators. So... what details do you have that FPL passed due to TECO needing upgrade of systems? More of your expert information or perhaps you being a psychic or just more trolling?

Old 09-20-2017, 09:56 AM

And for those who think FPL did a great job, they may want to check this out. Seems there's not a lot of love for FPL by their customers.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:29 PM

286 posts, read 164,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
Stop the blatant rumor. All opposite lanes were open - how can highways be jammed? I guess you weren't on the highway driving.

Several times before the storm visited FL I viewed traffic webcams and I-75, I-4 and I=95 showed a continuous line of cars, some of which ran out of gas or had other problems. Gas station throughout FL ran out of gas.

"The I-75 Florida to Georgia southbound express lanes are now headed north in Georgia only."

"Due to extra heavy traffic on I-75 northbound coming up from Florida, the normal schedule for the 75 South Express lane has been revised.
The lane are currently operating northbound and will remain that way until further notice to accommodate the evacuee traffic.
Florida SunPass holders are reminded that they can use the Georgia Express Lanes as the two systems are interoperable. "

"In Florida, gas shortages and gridlock plagued the evacuations, turning normally simple trips into tests of will. Parts of interstates 75 and 95 north were bumper-to-bumper, while very few cars drove in the southbound lanes.
"We're getting out of this state," said Manny Zuniga, who left his home in Miami at midnight Thursday to avoid the gridlock. "Irma is going to take all of Florida."

"Florida Gov. Rick Scott said people fleeing could drive slowly in the shoulder lane on highways. He hasn't reversed the southbound lanes because he said they were needed to deliver gas and supplies."

Old 09-20-2017, 12:45 PM

286 posts, read 164,545 times
Power is back on in Florida, but utilities still under fire | Fox News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay