Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2022, 01:33 PM

66 posts, read 48,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampinMom View Post
Good evening all,

My oldest-in her early 30’s has lived in St. Pete for close to 10 years now and has her own place she bought. She is a night owl and has been supporting herself doing Uber Eats/Door Dash for 4 years. .
Amazing that she was able to buy a place doing that type of employment.
Never knew they paid so well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2022, 05:57 PM

17,201 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus_2 View Post
It can, if you know what you’re doing.

Old 07-20-2022, 04:59 AM

41 posts, read 39,579 times
I know several dancers and bartenders that own houses and condos even on/near the beach. Very nice houses and drive brand new cars. Nothing new. They damn sure earn legitimately more income than a lot of attorneys and accountants that I know.

Old 07-20-2022, 08:35 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilyCorbin View Post
I know several dancers and bartenders that own houses and condos even on/near the beach. Very nice houses and drive brand new cars. Nothing new. They damn sure earn legitimately more income than a lot of attorneys and accountants that I know.
And no doubt a lot of that is cash, too.

RM

Old 07-20-2022, 01:43 PM

71 posts, read 77,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Too well educated/motivated for Walmart. They have a demographic they hire for, and she's not it.

RM
My hubby had worked there after his company sold after 21 years there. He was a ready mix concrete dispatcher. So, not sure why he got it as he’d been in management for all those years. They fired him instead of transferring him when he relocated when I got a job in another state.

Old 07-20-2022, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus_2 View Post
She bought it when we sold my late parent’s home and she’s got 1/4 of the sale. She bought a place before the market went crazy. 37k and it was all hers. She knew to invest in real estate. Someday she could either rent this out or sell it. Build equity. She only has to be able to earn the HOA fee, utilities, food and car payment and insurance. No need to be sarcastic. I have been asking legitimate questions about where to point her toward. She’s works 7 days a week to keep all she’s got. Never stopped during the time everyone else sat home and got unemployment.

Old 07-20-2022, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilyCorbin View Post
She’s been a server when she was in college. Not sure she wants to do that route again. Everyone says they are hiring, but no one is?

Old 07-20-2022, 02:20 PM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampinMom View Post
She’s been a server when she was in college. Not sure she wants to do that route again. Everyone says they are hiring, but no one is?
There's definitely a conflict between word on the street and reality. I think Corporate America is now giddy with the concept of operating with fewer people, charging more because "times are tough" all while throwing previous standards out the window. Watch as these public companies begin releasing their next round of quarterly profits which should indicate spikes in hiring, but of course won't due to CEOs and shareholder deeper pockets.

Old 07-20-2022, 08:44 PM

17,201 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
There's definitely a conflict between word on the street and reality. I think Corporate America is now giddy with the concept of operating with fewer people, charging more because "times are tough" all while throwing previous standards out the window. Watch as these public companies begin releasing their next round of quarterly profits which should indicate spikes in hiring, but of course won't due to CEOs and shareholder deeper pockets.
Ding ding ding. Nailed it. I left my last firm because of these silly "times are tough" claims. The industry in which I work has not been affected by COVID in any negative manner -- quite the opposite actually. So yeah, not buying it.

Old 07-21-2022, 07:08 AM

41 posts, read 39,579 times
Really, we're going to see more layoffs. We're seeing it at JPMorgan Chase, Bank of America, and many many others such as Macy's which is closing a bunch of stores this year ( which imho, they have suxd for years anyway).

By the by, Tropicana is stopping work at one of their plants....not a good sign for whatever "reason" stated ...the plant in Fort Pierce is closing. They were laid off on July 15th.

We'll get a better picture of the direction on JUly 26 and very shortly thereafter. Keep an eye on WARN notices issued in FL and several other states, that will tell you a lot about the temp of the job market.

Last edited by CecilyCorbin; 07-21-2022 at 07:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay