Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2022, 09:46 AM

4 posts, read 3,281 times

Advertisements

^^^of course you are correct on so many levels

many of the recruiters are idiots as well, and that's commonplace at this time...whatever she does, don't start taking those stupid tests from Indeed and their multiple other companies such as SimpluHired. Once she takes those kinds of tests and doesn't fit their own professional assessment (not of the Company they represent), she will never likely get a positive response because Indeed is the entity that cancelled her reseume from EVER getting to the employer. Go direct to the Company's website, don't use these gatekeepers, you will fail.

I might, just might suggest that she's punching below her weight...tell her to apply for well above her experience, AND below, use 2 versions (well written) resumes.

Also, if she does use bs places like indeed, etc, use 2 or so different emails, use her middle name, or just initials in conjunction with her last name, or use her married last name, or just her first and middle name to use as her last name - she can always say that was an oversight/typo.

Using te same email address over and over again will trigger no responses or denials on similar jobs that didin't initially get through or bypass the screening.

You and your daughter aren't imagining anything, even many of these "jobs" are indeed "phantom"....really
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2022, 10:20 AM

4 posts, read 3,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampinMom View Post
As an update about my daughter trying to find work. She finally got an interview. But the person doing the interview has now changed it 4 times in a week. I find that unprofessional. If you have to keep putting off someone that many times to interview, how do you expect them to feel about working for you. It’s for a job bussing tables for God’s sake. It’s not rocket science. She had to go to a food bank this week as she didn’t earn enough doing the gig job because of pay being cut back by those entities. All she wants is a freaking job. Not spam on her email/voicemail. She’s like to be able to eat and pay bills. She lives alone, has no kids, no drug issues, no arrest records, and 1 traffic ticket in her life. At 32, how many times can one keep applying to work and not lose confidence. She’s applying for entry level work.

And I get it. I have 36 years in school transportation with progressing to management. I have my degree in hospitality and tourism management. After making inquiries in the Tampa area, I am not going to work either for $13hr to be entry level driving a school bus when I’ve done it all these years.. No one wants to pay for experience. But everyone cries we can’t find people. Or people are spending so much time applying for jobs, taking personality tests, psychological tests and never hearing a thing. Common sense into hiring a employee has gone out the window.

DM me later, I have more information that shouldn't be posted here to take up space, and it might be off the subject.

Old 08-14-2022, 04:38 PM

5 posts, read 5,629 times
I'm having the same issues with finding IT jobs on Indeed, Dice, Simply Hired and Monster. The recruiters keep contacting me for positions I'm not looking for. They completely gloss over my specifications.

I reached out to recruiters directly for the positions I did apply for and it's been crickets. The wages here in Pinellas County are stagnant and aren't enough to keep up with the rising costs of rent. I'm trying to stay local but I will have to expand my options. I will finish up my LinkedIn profile to see if opportunities will be better.

Old 08-14-2022, 07:03 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,226,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei Hino View Post
I'm having the same issues with finding IT jobs on Indeed, Dice, Simply Hired and Monster. The recruiters keep contacting me for positions I'm not looking for. They completely gloss over my specifications.

I reached out to recruiters directly for the positions I did apply for and it's been crickets. The wages here in Pinellas County are stagnant and aren't enough to keep up with the rising costs of rent. I'm trying to stay local but I will have to expand my options. I will finish up my LinkedIn profile to see if opportunities will be better.
Good Luck!!!

Old 08-14-2022, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Yep. It's why I made the move to an out-of-state company, working remotely. The engineering pay grades haven't budged since I finished college 9 years ago. Embarrassing.
What is the best way to obtain Out-Of-State Remote Work that really exists? Glad things worked out for you!

Old 08-14-2022, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Was talking to my husband about recent applicants he was screening. People will never stop to amaze me these days. Some put in the field for expected salary 1,000,000. No kidding. Job description had 65K-80K for this position. Not sure if these people are trying to proof for unemployment benefits they applied and didn't get job or what...
Some are either underqualified or overqualified (no High School diploma or PhD for position that requires associate degree really).
People on the interview were saying that this is not their dream job and just something to last until they find something better. For real, no kidding.
Some were probably high when filled out application/ put their resumes together stating all sort of unprofessional garbage in there.
And many many applications from mom's with young kids who only want to work from home. For some reason many if these moms think job can be done while babysitting. Ok. Some want to work weird hours like 1 hr in the morning and 3 hours in the afternoon and 4 hours when kids are in bed. Ok. 8-5 was mentioned for nothing I guess.
And we are talking about job in the office, M-F 8-5 with VERY good benefits.
Such a waste of time.
He got good candidate after very intensive search that lasted 6 months... Honestly, within 6 months there was one and only qualified candidate that was realistic and capable of doing this work. This is not my husband's first time hiring. He has been doing it for over 20 years now, and also at loss with reality...

Wait until students who was studying over COVID times will enter work worlds, it will be even more interesting lol.
Does your husband have any advice on best way to get your resume to the Hiring Manager? Excellent post, enjoyed reading it.

Old 08-14-2022, 07:15 PM

Quote:
And this is why many firms outsource their recruiting. The last 3 interviews I've had (previous job, which I held for years, current job, which I have held for quite a while now, and a prospect job to which I declined the offer) were the product of recruiters contacting me on LinkedIn. There were no job openings posted anywhere. Just recruiters who work closely with the firms, and who know what to look for.

REAL recruiters (not the fly-by-night nonsense that sends you random emails with jobs that have nothing to do with your experience/education) do all that they can to fill a spot, as they make a very generous commission. The one who got me my current job received 10% of my annual as a bonus when I got hired, which I'd have to reimburse had I quit or got fired within my first year. They know what to look for, who to filter out... At least, that's been my experience in dealing with them.
Is it better to buy the LinkedIn option versus the free option? I have always used the "free" and never was contacted. Do you have a Career Objective? Lol, been reading up on resumes and so much has changed. Yikes! Thanks.

Old 08-14-2022, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampinMom View Post
As an update about my daughter trying to find work. She finally got an interview. But the person doing the interview has now changed it 4 times in a week. I find that unprofessional. If you have to keep putting off someone that many times to interview, how do you expect them to feel about working for you. It’s for a job bussing tables for God’s sake. It’s not rocket science. She had to go to a food bank this week as she didn’t earn enough doing the gig job because of pay being cut back by those entities. All she wants is a freaking job. Not spam on her email/voicemail. She’s like to be able to eat and pay bills. She lives alone, has no kids, no drug issues, no arrest records, and 1 traffic ticket in her life. At 32, how many times can one keep applying to work and not lose confidence. She’s applying for entry level work.

And I get it. I have 36 years in school transportation with progressing to management. I have my degree in hospitality and tourism management. After making inquiries in the Tampa area, I am not going to work either for $13hr to be entry level driving a school bus when I’ve done it all these years.. No one wants to pay for experience. But everyone cries we can’t find people. Or people are spending so much time applying for jobs, taking personality tests, psychological tests and never hearing a thing. Common sense into hiring a employee has gone out the window.
Has she considered maybe renting out her house and moving in with you? I know it probably would be a "huge" move over the state line. As a mother I worry about my daughter in Florida. Grateful so far she still has a job at Harris. I am so sorry about all the stress she is experiencing.

Old 08-19-2022, 10:55 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,802,401 times
Quote:
And this is why many firms outsource their recruiting. The last 3 interviews I've had (previous job, which I held for years, current job, which I have held for quite a while now, and a prospect job to which I declined the offer) were the product of recruiters contacting me on LinkedIn. There were no job openings posted anywhere. Just recruiters who work closely with the firms, and who know what to look for.

REAL recruiters (not the fly-by-night nonsense that sends you random emails with jobs that have nothing to do with your experience/education) do all that they can to fill a spot, as they make a very generous commission. The one who got me my current job received 10% of my annual as a bonus when I got hired, which I'd have to reimburse had I quit or got fired within my first year. They know what to look for, who to filter out... At least, that's been my experience in dealing with them.
We got burned by hires through recruiters before at my work. Expectations based on what recruiters were telling us were way off from reality.
If I will be searching for a new job, I would never go through recruiters. I am actually sick and tired of them trying to recruit me because I am exactly who one first is looking for or they spoke with someone who was speaking very highly of me, but refused to provide any names. They also lacking to read my resume or just not smart enough to see the difference in 2 different fields.
Thankfully in my industry there are no companies who are hiring exclusively through recruiters.

I asked my husband why they are not outsourcing the screening. He said resumes he was reviewing was already screened by their HR and advanced to the interview lol

Old 08-19-2022, 10:56 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,802,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0key View Post
1,000,000 was prolly a typo, still inattentive.
nope, it's not. It's just a way for people to say they are not really on the market for job but need to submit applications for another reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay