Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2022, 05:17 AM

4,474 posts, read 3,842,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
I don’t think the people moving from Seattle to Florida are working minimum wage jobs…
you'd be surprised. i belong to a lot of "moving to florida" groups

lots of transplants from West Coast states looking for jobs here and all they can find is minimum wage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2022, 10:18 AM

71 posts, read 77,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuttzie View Post
Did your daughter find a second or third job? I hope so!
No, still no luck on landing another part time job. Her first paycheck? $60. This goes beyond unbelievable. She’s hoping this Friday’s check is better. She’s gone back three times to the Publix across the road from her place to ask about the status of her application. Same thing, we’ll review it and get back to you. My question is are they hiring or not? Same with Target, she’s gone multiple times. She wants stocking overnights. They advertised for it. But I guess they feel she’s not qualified for putting stock on the shelves.

To make extra money, she’s started giving blood and plasma.

Old 10-18-2022, 11:24 AM

880 posts, read 563,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampinMom View Post
No, still no luck on landing another part time job. Her first paycheck? $60. This goes beyond unbelievable. She’s hoping this Friday’s check is better. She’s gone back three times to the Publix across the road from her place to ask about the status of her application. Same thing, we’ll review it and get back to you. My question is are they hiring or not? Same with Target, she’s gone multiple times. She wants stocking overnights. They advertised for it. But I guess they feel she’s not qualified for putting stock on the shelves.

To make extra money, she’s started giving blood and plasma.

When I respond with what I'm about to respond with, there have been several people who have said this is unhelpful, or trying to gaslight... but I'm simply stating what is a fact, for the purpose of helping you make a decision.

Lower-level service jobs... such as food service, grocery stores, etc... they are looking for minorities. It's ok, I'm a minority too... so I don't mind saying this.

The government gives tax incentives and tax breaks to anyone who is in what's considered a protected class. They just do... I'm sorry. So when you see an opening for a Publix... the only people they want are:
- Teens, who will work for bare minimum wage
- Disabled, those who either suffer from mild retardation, or some autism, or something of that nature
- Minorities, specifically Hispanic (like me) and African American

To hire a perfectly-abled white individual at say... $15 an hour... that becomes an exceptional expense to the organization. If you can find someone who has a mental disability (such as, someone to collect carts), or someone who is Hispanic to run the register, you are then NOT ACTUALLY paying $15 an hour... you are paying much less per hour because you are getting a tax incentive. For this reason, they leave these "NOW HIRING" posters and signs up, in hopes that they get someone like this. They likely don't really need these individuals, but want them.

The same especially goes with local governments, even in the state of Florida. The state government doesn't really control the individual counties or the regulations they set so long as they don't violate the state constitution. I don't know about Hillsborough County, but I suspect you're also dealing with other issues... in state governments, there is a requirement to hire within the government first... so when they interview, say... 10 people... they will almost always hire the person who's ALREADY working for the county because it's policy... if they can meet the absolute minimum standard needed for the job, that person gets the job. To hire someone new, they have to explain why they didn't hire from within. There's likely also a racial hiring component to it too.

What this means is... if you're going to want to get a lower-level service job... you're going to have to go to a smaller business and appeal to the owner. Unfortunately... we're in a recession right now, and the first to be affected are small capital / small businesses.

Old 10-18-2022, 03:58 PM

5,975 posts, read 7,365,693 times
I'm a former business owner, and this is the first time I've ever heard of the government subsidizing the hiring of minorities or disabled. Please cite your source for this information, as without some sort of definitive proof I'm calling bogus.

As for local governments, one of which I work for, yes, priority is given to internal candidates first, but that's a long-standing policy that's been around for decades. It's there because someone who is currently in the organization is most familiar with it and will transition to the new position with the least amount of time and with a typically shorter learning curve.

As a former hiring manager in that government, I can assure you that plenty of internal candidates are passed over for lack of qualifications, too. The only hiring preferences are for veterans, period.

Why does Publix hire retirees? There are plenty of them bagging groceries at the three Publix in my immediate area.

RM

Old 10-18-2022, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
I'm a former business owner, and this is the first time I've ever heard of the government subsidizing the hiring of minorities or disabled. Please cite your source for this information, as without some sort of definitive proof I'm calling bogus.

As for local governments, one of which I work for, yes, priority is given to internal candidates first, but that's a long-standing policy that's been around for decades. It's there because someone who is currently in the organization is most familiar with it and will transition to the new position with the least amount of time and with a typically shorter learning curve.

As a former hiring manager in that government, I can assure you that plenty of internal candidates are passed over for lack of qualifications, too. The only hiring preferences are for veterans, period.

Why does Publix hire retirees? There are plenty of them bagging groceries at the three Publix in my immediate area.

RM

Sigh, Morton, you do this in almost every thread... go on about your history/background, as if it applies in every situation. I don't take it personally, but I think it's the way you address it as if anyone who says these things are stupid.

Here go you: https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small...ity-tax-credit

It's called the Work Opportunity Tax Credit:

"The Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC) is a Federal tax credit available to employers for hiring and employing individuals from certain targeted groups who have faced significant barriers to employment.

WOTC joins other workforce programs that incentivize workplace diversity and facilitate access to good jobs for American workers."

It's carefully worded because you cannot deny someone employment on the basis of race, but they've created things such as "Empowerment Zones" which are minority neighborhoods, as well as people who are on food stamps, etc.

There are other incentives for Teens... people aged 16-18, there's also for disabled people... and then there's even a whole other tax credit specifically for people who are disabled, that's called the...

Disabled Access Tax Credit: https://www.eeoc.gov/fact-sheet/fact...tax-provisions

There's also a slew of tax credits that large and medium businesses can get if a percentage of their workforce is minority.

Also for large businesses, having reached a certain percentage of your workforce as minority will improve your ESG scores. For private and publicly traded companies, this has an affect on your ability to get funding and resources from investors, and whether or not certain companies will invest (in the case of publicly traded) in your company in their pension plans, etc.

There are even state-level tax credits... even FLORIDA has a program to hire people who are poor and living in urban areas, which is specifically targeted to minority areas with the intention of helping minorities... but it's a way to get around the Civil Rights Act which would otherwise technically make it illegal: https://www.floridajobs.org/business...redit-programs

Old 10-19-2022, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari2600 View Post
Sigh, Morton, you do this in almost every thread... go on about your history/background, as if it applies in every situation. I don't take it personally, but I think it's the way you address it as if anyone who says these things are stupid.

Here go you: https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small...ity-tax-credit

It's called the Work Opportunity Tax Credit:
"The Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC) is a Federal tax credit available to employers for hiring and employing individuals from certain targeted groups who have faced significant barriers to employment.

WOTC joins other workforce programs that incentivize workplace diversity and facilitate access to good jobs for American workers."

It's carefully worded because you cannot deny someone employment on the basis of race, but they've created things such as "Empowerment Zones" which are minority neighborhoods, as well as people who are on food stamps, etc.

There are other incentives for Teens... people aged 16-18, there's also for disabled people... and then there's even a whole other tax credit specifically for people who are disabled, that's called the...

Disabled Access Tax Credit: https://www.eeoc.gov/fact-sheet/fact...tax-provisions

There's also a slew of tax credits that large and medium businesses can get if a percentage of their workforce is minority.

Also for large businesses, having reached a certain percentage of your workforce as minority will improve your ESG scores. For private and publicly traded companies, this has an affect on your ability to get funding and resources from investors, and whether or not certain companies will invest (in the case of publicly traded) in your company in their pension plans, etc.

There are even state-level tax credits... even FLORIDA has a program to hire people who are poor and living in urban areas, which is specifically targeted to minority areas with the intention of helping minorities... but it's a way to get around the Civil Rights Act which would otherwise technically make it illegal: https://www.floridajobs.org/business...redit-programs
It does, in many situations. You should lighten up a bit and not be so sensitive. But I digress.

I find this quite interesting, and assumed that since I was a part owner of a small business if something like this did exist I would have been exempt, which appears to be the case and also why I had never heard of it.

It wasn't a challenge, just a desire to know if this was a real thing - and it clearly is. Thanks for the links, I have some reading to do.

RM

Old 10-20-2022, 04:04 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,802,401 times
A chained restaurant opened new location in Wesley Chapel. Servers (who are old enough to serve alcohol) had no issued being hired, with no experience, but no negative background history. Few are my neighbors college age kids. Making good money as people nowdays appreciate hard working servers and tip better.

Old 10-20-2022, 04:20 PM

Quote:
It does, in many situations. You should lighten up a bit and not be so sensitive. But I digress.

I find this quite interesting, and assumed that since I was a part owner of a small business if something like this did exist I would have been exempt, which appears to be the case and also why I had never heard of it.

It wasn't a challenge, just a desire to know if this was a real thing - and it clearly is. Thanks for the links, I have some reading to do.

RM
For clarification, you imply that the tax credit is for "minorities". That to me implies people of color or other groups, possibly LGBTQ, for example. You did spell out some of the eligible, but if one reads completely through the description for eligible groups, it's really built or designed around people who are in lower socio-economic groups as opposed to being race based.

I don't say this to critique, just to clarify for those who might read this thread and take away the impression that if they were part of a minority (race) group they would be eligible. There's nothing in the eligibility criteria that addresses race, sexual orientation, or any other cultural or race related minority classification. It appears to be primarily based on economics and disadvantaged, such as the disabled, convicted felons, veterans, SNAP recipients and such:

"A3. An employer may claim the WOTC for an individual who is certified as a member of any of the following targeted groups under section 51 of the Code:
  • the formerly incarcerated or those previously convicted of a felony;
  • recipients of state assistance under part A of title IV of the Social Security Act (SSA);
  • veterans;
  • residents in areas designated as empowerment zones or rural renewal counties;
  • individuals referred to an employer following completion of a rehabilitation plan or program;
  • individuals whose families are recipients of supplemental nutrition assistance under the Food and Nutrition Act of 2008;
  • recipients of supplemental security income benefits under title XVI of the SSA;
  • individuals whose families are recipients of state assistance under part A of title IV of the SSA; and
  • individuals experiencing long-term unemployment."

Interesting. And it applies to all employers, not just ones of a specific size or with a minimum number of employees.

Learn something new every day. Thanks!

RM

Old 10-20-2022, 06:56 PM

Quote:
For clarification, you imply that the tax credit is for "minorities". That to me implies people of color or other groups, possibly LGBTQ, for example. You did spell out some of the eligible, but if one reads completely through the description for eligible groups, it's really built or designed around people who are in lower socio-economic groups as opposed to being race based.

I don't say this to critique, just to clarify for those who might read this thread and take away the impression that if they were part of a minority (race) group they would be eligible. There's nothing in the eligibility criteria that addresses race, sexual orientation, or any other cultural or race related minority classification. It appears to be primarily based on economics and disadvantaged, such as the disabled, convicted felons, veterans, SNAP recipients and such:

"A3. An employer may claim the WOTC for an individual who is certified as a member of any of the following targeted groups under section 51 of the Code:
  • the formerly incarcerated or those previously convicted of a felony;
  • recipients of state assistance under part A of title IV of the Social Security Act (SSA);
  • veterans;
  • residents in areas designated as empowerment zones or rural renewal counties;
  • individuals referred to an employer following completion of a rehabilitation plan or program;
  • individuals whose families are recipients of supplemental nutrition assistance under the Food and Nutrition Act of 2008;
  • recipients of supplemental security income benefits under title XVI of the SSA;
  • individuals whose families are recipients of state assistance under part A of title IV of the SSA; and
  • individuals experiencing long-term unemployment."

Interesting. And it applies to all employers, not just ones of a specific size or with a minimum number of employees.

Learn something new every day. Thanks!

RM

I was pretty clear that it's against the law to specifically hire based on race... this line is the important one: "residents in areas designated as empowerment zones or rural renewal counties;"

Those are all basically minority-majority areas. It's intentional done this way to get around the Civil Rights Act.

I also discussed that if you have a diverse (minority) workforce, you also get a better ESG score which entitles you to preferential loans by investors.

You also said that small businesses don't get it, which is why you never heard about it, and that's incorrect... small businesses are eligible. That's for both the local Florida version of it, as well as the Federal version of it.

Old 10-21-2022, 09:39 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times
Quote:

RM
Government gives tax credits to businesses that hire disabled people and vets. Most applications ask if you're a veteran, disabled or on snap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay