Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2022, 10:21 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei Hino View Post
I'm having the same issues with finding IT jobs on Indeed, Dice, Simply Hired and Monster. The recruiters keep contacting me for positions I'm not looking for. They completely gloss over my specifications.

I reached out to recruiters directly for the positions I did apply for and it's been crickets. The wages here in Pinellas County are stagnant and aren't enough to keep up with the rising costs of rent. I'm trying to stay local but I will have to expand my options. I will finish up my LinkedIn profile to see if opportunities will be better.
I also tried LinkedIn and it was no different. I don't believe these jobs actually exist. We're being lied to once again. I have a current CCNP, CCNA, VCP, AWS CCP and nearly 30 years of industry experience and all I get are foreign speaking recruiters asking if I would be interested in a Network Engineer contract position for $50 an hour. No Thanks, I was making that 20 years ago! The few that actually provided realistic 2022 rates claim they submitted me but then I get nothing but crickets. I stopped applying and responding, it's all a circus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2022, 09:00 AM

17,203 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
I also tried LinkedIn and it was no different. I don't believe these jobs actually exist. We're being lied to once again. I have a current CCNP, CCNA, VCP, AWS CCP and nearly 30 years of industry experience and all I get are foreign speaking recruiters asking if I would be interested in a Network Engineer contract position for $50 an hour. No Thanks, I was making that 20 years ago! The few that actually provided realistic 2022 rates claim they submitted me but then I get nothing but crickets. I stopped applying and responding, it's all a circus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
We got burned by hires through recruiters before at my work. Expectations based on what recruiters were telling us were way off from reality.
If I will be searching for a new job, I would never go through recruiters. I am actually sick and tired of them trying to recruit me because I am exactly who one first is looking for or they spoke with someone who was speaking very highly of me, but refused to provide any names. They also lacking to read my resume or just not smart enough to see the difference in 2 different fields.
Thankfully in my industry there are no companies who are hiring exclusively through recruiters.

I asked my husband why they are not outsourcing the screening. He said resumes he was reviewing was already screened by their HR and advanced to the interview lol

I think my "success" with Linkedin has been linked (no pun intended... or maybe intended) to the post below. I also get those crappy recruiters (normally some kid fresh out of Liberal Arts school) who write me about jobs that have nothing to do with my experience (Me being an Electrical Engineer does not mean I have experience in designing some random PCB for a robot prototype that can cook its own burgers,) but I also sometimes get approached -- and much less aggressively -- by recruiters, hired directly from the company, who seem to have done their legitimate research on the job and my experience, and who are spot on in what they are looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Very common in the IT field, often referred to as "headhunters".

I would concur about the wild and wacky stuff applicants come up with these days. You read through the applications and just shake your head, like "Did this person even read the posting? Are they applying for the job I'm listing?

Fortunately, the employers I've worked for have minimum requirements that have to be addressed as a part of the application process, so a lot of applicants get weeded out long before their application/resume would ever get to me. That being said, I've still seen some doozies!

RM

Old 08-23-2022, 09:20 AM

54 posts, read 43,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post

Yes indeedy ( no pun intended )

It's alla cottage industry for these sites to SELL THEIR SERVICES to as many employers as they can sign up - they ain't interested in placing possible new hires - that's not their raison d'etre or business model !

Old 08-26-2022, 11:46 AM

71 posts, read 77,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevolutionInTime View Post
DM me later, I have more information that shouldn't be posted here to take up space, and it might be off the subject.
Send me a message, I can’t seem to get it over to you.

Old 08-26-2022, 11:50 AM

71 posts, read 77,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaRetired View Post
Has she considered maybe renting out her house and moving in with you? I know it probably would be a "huge" move over the state line. As a mother I worry about my daughter in Florida. Grateful so far she still has a job at Harris. I am so sorry about all the stress she is experiencing.
As she’s been there for 7 years, I know she’d never want to come home to us at the age of 32. She’s trying to stick it out. She’s applied to places they have seen her for the last 4 years delivering for Uber Eats/Door Dash. Even THEY aren’t responding to her applications. It’s stupid. They see her all the time hustling, 7 days a week. They know she’s reliable, always there.

I am not sure how much she could rent it out for either. It’s only a 470 sqft studio condo. Or if we could find people that won’t trash the place.

Old 08-26-2022, 12:15 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,229,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampinMom View Post
As she’s been there for 7 years, I know she’d never want to come home to us at the age of 32. She’s trying to stick it out. She’s applied to places they have seen her for the last 4 years delivering for Uber Eats/Door Dash. Even THEY aren’t responding to her applications. It’s stupid. They see her all the time hustling, 7 days a week. They know she’s reliable, always there.

I am not sure how much she could rent it out for either. It’s only a 470 sqft studio condo. Or if we could find people that won’t trash the place.
Well I am in Virginia "trying" to get back home to Florida. Not happy but "wisdom says" as I age I need to be closer to my only child. I am divorced and living in a cute studio apartment for $540. They go up on rent EVERY April. Usually $10, this year $25 Lol, while my Retirement Income does not!

From reading the Florida Posts, I donot see myself moving back this year. I will NEED a job there and with turning 65 next September, I am hoping to have found one BEFORE arrival.

Not ready to "burden" my daughter as yet!

Florida does not pay well for certain careers.

Has she checked with the services they provide for folks job hunting? Sometimes they will "retrain" you for a "hot" career that is "desperate" for workers. Back in the day they were called the State Job Service. We would register with them, go in and search their job database. If you found jobs you wanted, they would "refer you" to companies. Not sure IF they are still around. I have been in Virginia since 2015. My daughter had moved here, always hated it and moved back to Florida in 2018.

This is so sad! I feel for you guys.

Last edited by AngelaRetired; 08-26-2022 at 12:28 PM..

Old 08-28-2022, 01:02 AM

40 posts, read 36,287 times
The job market is doing fantastic! If you can't get a job in this economy you should go learn a new job skill.
I quit my last job and got four job offers the following week.

Old 08-28-2022, 08:07 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,342,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian813 View Post
The job market is doing fantastic! If you can't get a job in this economy you should go learn a new job skill.
I quit my last job and got four job offers the following week.
Most of the jobs I see hiring are trashy jobs. I don't go by the Biden numbers or CNN or Msdnc. Fox news only one to be accurate .

Old 08-28-2022, 02:53 PM

40 posts, read 36,287 times
It depends on your qualifications and skills. I got a good increase this year.

Old 08-28-2022, 03:21 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,229,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian813 View Post
It depends on your qualifications and skills. I got a good increase this year.
Are you in Florida?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay