Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2022, 06:26 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerlynorthofnowhere View Post
Some people have been known to dumb down their resume's when needed.
Maybe, but Walmart has a very, uh, shall we say, robust HR system that will see through that once you get in the door. I have a friend who used to work for corporate, and let's just say that they scrutinize things in great detail.

RM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2022, 06:38 AM

1,937 posts, read 823,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Maybe, but Walmart has a very, uh, shall we say, robust HR system that will see through that once you get in the door. I have a friend who used to work for corporate, and let's just say that they scrutinize things in great detail.

RM
I got hired by one of the 3 largest delivery companies in entire world by crafting my resume to suit their needs, and yes I dumbed it down.

Old 09-28-2022, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerlynorthofnowhere View Post
I got hired by one of the 3 largest delivery companies in entire world by crafting my resume to suit their needs, and yes I dumbed it down.
I’m not saying that approach doesn’t work, just that some employers are more discriminating because they have the resources to be.

And yes, anyone who doesn’t craft each resume or application to the job posting is stupid and highly unlikely to get the job. You gotta give them what they want.

RM

Old 10-02-2022, 10:11 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,765,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaRetired View Post
I feel your location and skills will determine what type of jobs you will qualify for.

For example, wanting to be a Movie Star in Alaska probably will not be happening.

Melbourne is a good fit for my daughter who is an Engineer due to that area's companies. Grateful Harris hired her like they did me when I was 8 months pregnant with her.

And yes, racism and ageism does exist unfortunately.

Angela
I am glad ageism was mentioned here, because not many people have mentioned it in this thread. It is a huge factor, even for those of us that have a college degree.

I am a newly licensed teacher in my mid-50's and I cannot find a job other than subbing and mini-contracts.

As for the argument that working for $ 15.00 is better than nothing, I suppose I agree. But would it keep someone out of bankruptcy? It is unlikely, given housing costs in FL.

Old 10-03-2022, 11:08 AM

880 posts, read 565,021 times
Quote:
I’m not saying that approach doesn’t work, just that some employers are more discriminating because they have the resources to be.

And yes, anyone who doesn’t craft each resume or application to the job posting is stupid and highly unlikely to get the job. You gotta give them what they want.

RM

I agree with this. It's like sending a mothers day card. You could be generic, but unless you tailor it to YOUR mom, it's going to be generic and won't be as heartfelt.

Old 10-03-2022, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
I am glad ageism was mentioned here, because not many people have mentioned it in this thread. It is a huge factor, even for those of us that have a college degree.

I am a newly licensed teacher in my mid-50's and I cannot find a job other than subbing and mini-contracts.

As for the argument that working for $ 15.00 is better than nothing, I suppose I agree. But would it keep someone out of bankruptcy? It is unlikely, given housing costs in FL.
For what it's worth, (in Hillsborough County) unless you're going to the recruiting event in June, your best bet to get on board at a school you want to be at is to accept a long term sub position at the school and make yourself known (ingratiate yourself) to the administration. Once that's done when the transfer period comes up in April you'll have a far better chance at landing a permanent position.

Getting on board as a permanent employee isn't a slam dunk in Hillsborough County, and a lot depends on who you know and where you want to be. If you're in favor with a particular principal, you'll get a job. They have the power to make it happen.

RM

Old 10-06-2022, 08:59 AM

71 posts, read 77,998 times
Quote:

It would keep my daughter from losing her condo she owns outright. Her HOA fee is $317 a month. Can’t find rent for that.

She got a job as someone doing the to go orders at a restaurant , she’s only on for 3 nights a week. In training. She worked 3 hours yesterday watching video’s and tablet tests. They won’t let her work the weekend as they can’t spend time training her as it’s too busy. At $10hr. She’s going back to Publix and Target today as she went through phone personality tests with them. She needs to work more than 15hours a week. This is beyond stupid. No wonder places can’t keep people.

Fingers crossed she can come up with another job soon to work more hours. She’s an adult, not a high school kid. It’s beyond me why people can’t even make $400 a week.

Old 10-06-2022, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
We are going in circles here. Claims about fake job advertisements are flying around. When real job posting (school bus driver/aid) is mentioned, there are 101 excuses why this job sucks (high responsibilities - low pay - crazy students - stupid hours-there are better jobs for people willing to drive trucks and so on). To remind everyone, last job for person in search was uber eats and now person faces vehicle owned reposed and is filing for Chapter 13. So yeah, $15 an hour guaranteed full time job with all benefits as school bus aid or driver not a good job and Chapter 13 is a better option... I see no logic, I am sorry.

I am not here to discuss the definition of solid higher education, but I don't see people with college degrees struggling to find a job. But of course there people are not night owls who only consider 3rd shift jobs... Getting a college degree increases chances of getting better pay job. There is no argument here.

I am wishing everyone best of luck with job searches.

You must not have read the whole thread here. I am the one with the CDL and said that I wouldn’t take a job that low, not my daughter who is job hunting and getting a run around to find an entry level job. She’s finally got a job at 15hrs a week. Not great at 32 years old, but at least it’s $150 a week. Now to keep hounding other places near her home to make a total of $400 take home. That’s the whole issue. She doesn’t want to drive a school bus. It’s ridiculous having to jump through hoops to get a entry level, no experience job. She wants to keep the condo she doesn’t have a mortgage on. But may have to go with a Chapter 13 if she can’t at least make $400 a week. She prefers third shift work as she’s a night owl and not the early bird. I like to get up for work at 3:45am and be there by 5am. Different spectrums.

I refuse after 36 years in school transportation-driver, trainer, dispatch supervisor/routing to accept $15hr. Not one normal person with experience would unless retired and bored. And being a school bus driver is NOT full time. It’s split shift. 6am to 9am then 2:30pm to 5pm. If you are lucky enough to get 5 1/2 hours a day. Oh and yes, I have a college degree too. But where I live, I couldn’t even get hired by the district as it’s the good old boy syndrome that is alive and well along with nepotism.

Old 10-06-2022, 09:17 AM

Quote:

RM
After 21 years as a ready mix concrete dispatcher and company sold, my spouse ended up at Wallyworld in produce. Put in for a transfer to where we were relocating to for my job. Instead of the transfer, they fired him. So depends on who is working HR at that particular store.

Old 10-06-2022, 10:14 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,342,083 times
Quote:

Yet they hire these 24 year old purple hair, pierced faced freak shows to teach 3rd graders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay