Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2022, 08:28 AM

982 posts, read 607,459 times

Advertisements

Hello, Everyone. We are newly transplanted to Pinellas, actually Dunedin and am wondering if any of you are thinking of taking shelter somewhere. We just got here last week and now are facing our first big storm. We have supplies but live in a manufactured home and would have to evacuate if ordered to. I just wanted to start a post on this and hopefully, people can come and check in about your area.

Stay safe and well, Everyone!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2022, 09:20 AM

30,400 posts, read 21,222,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuttzie View Post
Hello, Everyone. We are newly transplanted to Pinellas, actually Dunedin and am wondering if any of you are thinking of taking shelter somewhere. We just got here last week and now are facing our first big storm. We have supplies but live in a manufactured home and would have to evacuate if ordered to. I just wanted to start a post on this and hopefully, people can come and check in about your area.

As long as it stays 80 miles offshore to our west we are fine as wine.

Old 09-25-2022, 09:22 AM

880 posts, read 563,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuttzie View Post

How far inland is your manufactured home? The closer inland, generally you'll be more OK. But It's generally a good idea to leave manufactured homes since they are not physically on the ground and can be blown over and torn apart in high winds.

Personally, I think you'll be OK since at least the track shows that it's not really going where we are anymore. But you'll definitely want to have a plan.

That includes:

1 - What you leave behind. Do you have a safe or something that you could hide within your structure that you could put valuables that you cannot or are unable to take with you?

2 - Do you have a location where you intend to go if there is an evacuation order?

3 - If you decide to tough it out, where can you go and what supplies do you have?

For us in Central Florida... it might be easier to simply go more inland than it would be to go north... which is the natural inclination.

Old 09-25-2022, 09:48 AM

982 posts, read 607,459 times
We actually about 1/4 of a mile from the shore and we do have some place in mind to go to during evacuation. We have a small generator and have just come back from getting gas filled in our 2.5 gal containers (2). We have lots of dry goods to live on if need be and I have all my important documents contained in a folder to take with us. We didn't even open the shutters when we arrived knowing this storm was coming.....living in a dark place, LOL!

Thank you, LKJ for that information! We are watching it closely, or rather hubby is as I am optimistic and feel we will be just fine. Thank you, Atari for the suggestions Stay well!

Old 09-25-2022, 10:01 AM

6 posts, read 8,289 times
Yeah, we're going to get slammed, but what the hey lol

Old 09-25-2022, 10:03 AM

prolly 12 inches of rain and a bunch on wind..but Tampa and DT/bayshore here is certainly overdue!

Old 09-25-2022, 10:03 AM

5,130 posts, read 6,127,528 times
Hotels seem to be changing their cancellation rules here lately but when it looks like we could be in line for a hit a few days out we try to get a hotel reservation out of harms way.

Several years back a storm tracked for Miami but continued up the coast. Just about half of Florida headed north filling rooms. When it looked like it could come ashore here in Jacksonville there were no rooms to be found within a three hour drive drive north or west.

Hopefully it will continue heading west and it’s strength diminishes before it hits landfall!

Good luck and welcome to Florida!

Old 09-25-2022, 10:07 AM

at 12 noon, it's moved a bit west so the Keys might be missed....but if Tampa and the Hillsborough River DT, etc could be underwasser....about 30 billion $

Old 09-25-2022, 11:38 AM

7,244 posts, read 7,067,976 times
Your big issue will be water. I'm sure you're in a flood zone. Bring everything inside, take important papers and such with you, mitigate your potential loss as best you can, and find some place to go.

I lived in Pinellas. I would not recommend the shelters, especially with covid still out there. Look east, find a hotel, go there.

Good luck.

Old 09-25-2022, 11:41 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Default Tampa still in cone of landfall probability, especially in the Euro model

See post 116 in this thread.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/flori...l#post64191414
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay