Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2022, 07:18 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,229,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Another thing that hasn't been mentioned yet... Alligators. With water all over the place, we are guaranteed to have alligators out and about in the streets and yards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2022, 10:31 PM

983 posts, read 608,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
I'm 56 feet above sea level, so I'm not concerned about storm surges or flooding. I am, however, concerned about extended exposure to high winds. I'm thinking this might be the Big One that @LKJ1988 has been talking about all these years.

If so, I hope it levels the place, just like Andrew or Hugo did when they went through. Just wipe the slate clean. All or nothing!

RM
YIKES~

Old 09-26-2022, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Another thing that hasn't been mentioned yet... Alligators. With water all over the place, we are guaranteed to have alligators out and about in the streets and yards.
Hadn't even thought about that. We are in a mobile home park near zone A and B so will be leaving sometime today to a shelter. We do have a generator and dry supplies but I think we may go out today and pick some more and water. We are very close to the coast but up on somewhat of a hill but we can still get flooding, I believe. I am up at midnight boiling eggs, LOL.

I have no idea what to expect in a school shelter. Do they have some where to charge phones/laptops?

Stay safe, everyone!

Old 09-27-2022, 03:34 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuttzie View Post
Hadn't even thought about that. We are in a mobile home park near zone A and B so will be leaving sometime today to a shelter. We do have a generator and dry supplies but I think we may go out today and pick some more and water. We are very close to the coast but up on somewhat of a hill but we can still get flooding, I believe. I am up at midnight boiling eggs, LOL.

I have no idea what to expect in a school shelter. Do they have some where to charge phones/laptops?

Stay safe, everyone!
Snatchamagators gotta eat also and then we got the snakes jake that will be forced out from the water. Gonna be a world of F--- for many jenny. Longggggggggggggggg wind event.

That gravity pull to the east saved me so no surge for me merv. Core wind and rain will miss me.

Old 09-27-2022, 06:08 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,055,358 times
Quote:
Spoke with some neighbors, several are staying. I'm not. The flooding is one thing... I don't mind being stuck indoors for a few days. But being without power? Nah.

I hear you, the aftermath is a definite challenge; and requires much patience.
Traffic cannot flow, stores closed for extended periods; or can only accept cash until power is restored.
While evacuating is a pain, sticking around is an even greater one.
Stay safe, and hoping you receive no property damage.

Old 09-27-2022, 06:49 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
While evacuating is a pain, sticking around is an even greater one.
People really need to hear this thank you.
Those battery powered phone chargers sound good right now if electricity is out for days.
Gonna repeat, sorry, ya really don't wanna come home to spoiling meat with elec off for days.
Ha, couldn't rep u again.

Old 09-27-2022, 07:33 AM

9,132 posts, read 6,185,387 times
Any one taking water out of their pool because of the expected rain levels? (not storm surge)

Old 09-27-2022, 07:41 AM

19 posts, read 17,893 times
Prayers sent. Have been through Katrina and Ida and do not wish that on anyone. Hopefully the surge estimates are exaggerated and many escape the water. Hoping for a faster forward motion so that it will get out of there quickly Having stayed though a direct hit from Ida as it slowed to a crawl, it is not fun. Do not underestimate the effects of the lack of power and in some cases, ability to use water facilities after a storm. Make the right and safe decision for your family. Good luck and be safe!

Old 09-27-2022, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAINTSFAN834 View Post
Prayers sent. Have been through Katrina and Ida and do not wish that on anyone. Hopefully the surge estimates are exaggerated and many escape the water. Hoping for a faster forward motion so that it will get out of there quickly Having stayed though a direct hit from Ida as it slowed to a crawl, it is not fun. Do not underestimate the effects of the lack of power and in some cases, ability to use water facilities after a storm. Make the right and safe decision for your family. Good luck and be safe!
Thank you for checking in!

Old 09-27-2022, 08:21 AM

880 posts, read 565,021 times
I don't want to pretend like my advice is the best... but I've been a Florida resident for a while, and lived through a few hurricanes, including Wilma, Charlie, and a few others that were semi-bad. Wilma was probably one of the worst that I've been through, and it hit us at a Category 2... though there are some arguments as to whether it was a 1 or a 2.

It left Fort Lauderdale and surrounding area without power for anywhere from 2-4 weeks (for a few stragglers, even up to 2 months). There was a lot of flooding near the beach, and gas stations were without fuel for several weeks. It sparked legislative changes that reinforced power and mandated gas stations have generators (most stations had fuel, but no power with which to pump it). So, infrastructure has largely improved ... I don't know if I can say the same for the Tampa area though. This may be the one that encourages that.

Wind is one thing. Tampa isn't as prepared for storms as the South East is. Overwhelming vast majority of homes do not have storm shutters, or impact windows. Most 2nd stories are also made out of wood, and not concrete. This is compared to South-East Florida where every home has storm shutters or impact windows.

Tornados is another thing, with a lot of water, there will be a lot of tornadoes that sprout up, even on canals. When I was living in Fort Lauderdale, a tornado popped up and went diagonally through my neighborhood. During the storm, we thought we heard our roof ripping off. Instead, it was my neighbor's roof ripping off and landing on my roof. Not just shingles, but roof plywood sheathing.

If you are in a manufactured home, or a trailer... then you need to go inland, or find a shelter. When I first wrote you would be OK, that was when it looked like it would realistically be hitting the pan-handle. With this new information, you cannot weather the storm in your manufactured home. It will get destroyed.

Flooding, this is probably the worst part... and is what sparks most of the evacuations. Even if you are not in an area where you expect a lot of significant wind. We've had record rainfall this year, and as a result, the ground is totally saturated. This is great for our aquifers, but really bad for a hurricane. The ground in Florida is very porous, but there's no where for the water to go at this point. The ground is totally saturated and will likely result in significantly more flooding due to storm surge than we otherwise would have expected. I hate to say it, but they're estimating anywhere from 5-10 feet of flooding in St. Pete in the lower-lying areas. This means that for many people, especially with single-story homes... there is no where for you to go except on the roof... and you simply cannot do that during a hurricane.

If you can't go north, go South, or go due-East towards Orlando or South-East.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay