Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 08:52 PM

828 posts, read 692,710 times

Advertisements

Right, that red color made it look like Florida was on fire, but it was very misleading in my opinion. You are correct if we are told a cat 5 is on the way, we get out, but what I am saying is that they never should have told us a cat 5 was coming. It fizzled out as barely a cat 2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 09:10 PM

1,357 posts, read 1,242,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soursop View Post
Right, that red color made it look like Florida was on fire, but it was very misleading in my opinion. You are correct if we are told a cat 5 is on the way, we get out, but what I am saying is that they never should have told us a cat 5 was coming. It fizzled out as barely a cat 2.
If it stayed on the predicted path, which even at 2PM updated from NOAA yesterday showed it was going to hit land at Sarasota and my understanding is it would have been worse as Irma would have continued to feed from the warm waters.

Instead, 90 minutes later Marco Island and Naples was hit hard. You can see in the images afterwards that show Irma lost the backwall and, with that, her intensity.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:40 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
GOOGLE.com

Old 09-12-2017, 05:27 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soursop View Post
Yeah, I didn't like that HYPE either. It undermines everything.

Next time, why bother going anywhere, when you aren't sure if its hype or not.

One day, everyone is thinking Florida is going to be wiped off the map, a week later, its rainy and windy with some storm surge....

It makes people think that hurricanes aren't that big of a deal.

Old 09-12-2017, 06:28 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

One day, everyone is thinking Florida is going to be wiped off the map, a week later, its rainy and windy with some storm surge....

This is a key point out of all of this. Me? I was angry at myself for not leaving and almost was fatalistic Sunday thinking if it was my turn, so be it. Also was pretty resigned to losing the roof. Weather guy on MSNBC said 20 miles to the west and it would have been a completely different story for us.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:25 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
This is a key point out of all of this. Me? I was angry at myself for not leaving and almost was fatalistic Sunday thinking if it was my turn, so be it. Also was pretty resigned to losing the roof. Weather guy on MSNBC said 20 miles to the west and it would have been a completely different story for us.
I understand being scared earlier, but on Sunday? Well it was your first rodeo.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:29 AM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshD View Post
I am moving to tampa soon and i wanna know if tampa gets hit by lots hurricanes or which part of FL gets hit the least. Thanks
Well there's one way to find out. Oh and to answer your thread title question. They get less hurricanes than you used question marks.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:08 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

They kept saying that the path can change, it was a cat 5 then a cat 4 heading right for us, people want to hear absolutes from something thats not an exact science. Its up to you to determine how risk adverse you are, personally the thought of camping out on my roof for a couple of days was enough for me to bolt, i dont blame the weather people they provided all the information they had, I never heard anyone tell me they knew anything for sure, it was very clear to me that anything can happen.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:16 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
you Floridians are priceless when it comes to cold...
I'll remember this quote when it hits the mid 80's and you're crying that the AC in your car broke.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:18 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
I'll remember this quote when it hits the mid 80's and you're crying that the AC in your car broke.
So it's OK to complain about the cold but not the heat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay