Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 01:44 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,284,153 times

Advertisements

If it was a $10,000 fine, you would see people getting busted for it left and right. That's about a month's worth of speeding tickets for one cop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 01:53 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,607,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
If it was a $10,000 fine, you would see people getting busted for it left and right. That's about a month's worth of speeding tickets for one cop.
Well, I'm looking and now I can't find it. I swear that's what the lady told me over the phone when I called the DMV.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
That's what we did and we moved within the state..........in less than 10 days, we changed all that the day we moved...why wait?
and you can do all this online and it can take you a few minutes........

But there I someone at my daughter's school who still has a SC license plate and school started back last August!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you move within the state you can do it on line, but if you are coming from out of state you have to be there in person with a crapload of documentation. A lot of that is new since last September. I'd used my hospital issued birth certificate my entire life and suddenly it wasn't good anymore. I had to get a county issued one for the DMV. New fees are in place as well. It's very expensive!

I wonder if that person at the school will get fined when they finally go to change the plate? That's a really long time! Maybe they aren't planning on staying?

Old 03-25-2010, 04:52 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,125,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
A lot of people share that fantasy. Good luck with your move.
Thank you, I appreciate the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magijasakymaro View Post
You are supposed to obtain a FL drivers license and license plate within ten days of establishing residency here. According to the DMV, this means 10 days from moving into your new home, starting a job, or starting school. If you don't comply, there is a $10,000 fee.

I think 10 days is ridiculous.
I agree, 10 days from out of state is not very long at all. It should be more like 30 - 60. The cops should pull over drivers that have out of state plates and if they have a license or insurance card that is from Florida they should get a fix it ticket to change their registration and plates. If the 'fix it' ticket is not taken care of in said amount of time then they should be fined.

If you see a minivan with Alaska plates driving around after Mid July, be sure to wave....cuz that's me! Hahaha. Looking forward to putting yet another plate on this van. 3rd one since purchased new in September of 2005! Oh, by the way, I will be getting my license and plates changed over within 30 days of moving there.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:03 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,154,641 times
I thought I had remembered seeing on a FL website that new residents had 30 days. Unless it changed. 10 days, however, is not much time.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:06 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,304,985 times
I think for sure they'll get a fine...they are here to stay....well settled.....they didn't just move here last August, that is only when "I" noticed the license plate, they've been here longer than that....

I thought you can do it online here too, when we were looking around fees for registration in other states before moving here we found quite a few that allowed to do it online.....They should allow everyone to do this online, because it would save people a lot of time and people WOULD get it done faster, it is indeed intimidating to say the least going into a DMV here..........thinking that you probably have to take at least half day OFF from work........

See, this is why I complain sometimes, because SIMPLE things are made complicated to annoy people, and THEN have them fined because whatever dept can't make it easy and painless for people to be legal! that's why I get aggravated with Florida, it's not impossible, it's just that SOMEONE needs to get off their a*** and do it!

Old 03-25-2010, 05:28 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,304,985 times
I've seen a few about Clearwater, Dunedin's Honeymoon Island in both DC Hotel TV channel & west upstate NY TV local channels......the don't advertise Tampa directly because "Tampa alone" doesn't have much to offer per say as it's not directly ON the beach......however they advertise the heck out of Busch Gardens......
Like us here, I've seen a ton of commercials for California & Montana....

The difference as far as I am concerned is that it is always best to visit, but not base a decision to move just because it's sunny by the beach because you'll end up living on it directly (=homeless)......if the move was not planned well.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Cin! View Post
I can't say that I've ever seen a travel commercial about Tampa. Orlando yes, but Tampa, no. Not saying that they dont have them, just that I haven't seen one where I am at. Maybe they show them further up North? Where I'm currently at is still considered the South, although just about as far North as you can get and still be in the South. Thankfully Tourism or Real Estate are not my reasons for moving to Tampa.

I have to say that I commend the people who are leaving for realizing when it's time to fish or cut bait. If a situation is not working for you, then do something about it or you're going to be miserable. That can be said for many situations such as where one lives, their job, relationship, etc. I know that not everyone can up and move on a dime, or with short notice, but there is such a thing as planning and preparing for when it is possible to make that change. Meanwhile people should make the most of their situation so that they're as comfortable or happy as possible. Life is too short to simmer and stew in a big ole pot of unhappiness.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:28 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magijasakymaro View Post
You are supposed to obtain a FL drivers license and license plate within ten days of establishing residency here. According to the DMV, this means 10 days from moving into your new home, starting a job, or starting school. If you don't comply, there is a $10,000 fee.

I think 10 days is ridiculous. It took me a month to get it done. There is just so much to do during and immediately after a move. But I can't imagine going three years! I wonder why that guy never got caught?
Your also suppossed to have car insurance, many in Florida drive without it.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Your also suppossed to have car insurance, many in Florida drive without it.
Yikes! That's scary, considering the number of accidents that seem to occur on a daily basis.

Probably also the reason State Farm just told us they were trying to get approval for a 15% rate increase. Well, that also might have something to do with the fact that every other billboard I see is some lawyer encouraging me to sue somebody, too.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
If you see a minivan with Alaska plates driving around after Mid July, be sure to wave....cuz that's me! Hahaha. Looking forward to putting yet another plate on this van. 3rd one since purchased new in September of 2005! Oh, by the way, I will be getting my license and plates changed over within 30 days of moving there.
I'll look for you and wave. And you'll wonder why that weirdo in the Toyota is waving at you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay