Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 04:56 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolcustomer View Post
Why sure....... the upper 90's are fine indoors and the rain isn't a problem, the roof doesn't leak anyhow.
I don't even need a roof where i live since it never rains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 07:19 AM

183 posts, read 454,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradS1 View Post
I'm having a hard time forcing myself to go outside into the heat. Is this normal or are you guys out there no matter what? I mean, it's kind of like the winters up north...just too uncomfortable to want to spend time outside.

It's a little depressing actually because summer time is supposed to be the time of year to be out and about, and it's exactly the opposite of that and what I'm used to.
We spend a lot of time outdoors in the summer, but it's all near/on the water. Today we'll be at the beach, under the umbrella. Bring a good book, a spray bottle full of water to spritz yourself with and an ice chest full of cool drinks. When you get super hot, head for the water. Not a bad way to spend a hot day.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:16 PM

393 posts, read 1,498,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradS1 View Post
I'm having a hard time forcing myself to go outside into the heat. Is this normal or are you guys out there no matter what? I mean, it's kind of like the winters up north...just too uncomfortable to want to spend time outside.

It's a little depressing actually because summer time is supposed to be the time of year to be out and about, and it's exactly the opposite of that and what I'm used to.
In winter I make it a point to be outdoors as much as possible. It doesn't last long enough and as those 85+ days approach I do get depressed (reverse SAD?) because I don't thrive at all in the heat we have here. My recommendation is to make sure you stay active with indoor activities like yoga, spin classes, rock/wall climbing, etc. Not only are you getting a good workout but you're meeting new people and mingling which should help to boost your mood.

Then maybe a few times a month, pick a weekend to get outdoors and do some biking along the trails or in the county parks, kayaking Wheedon island, or whatever else floats your boat. I always wear a large brimmed hat to keep the sun off my face, so I stay cooler, and if I don't drink a ton of water I get weak pretty quickly. Don't forget sunscreen --slather it on every two hours unless you want a burn.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:06 PM

5 posts, read 13,491 times
i've never understood why people in FLA spend time outdoors or on the water in the summer. the only place it is tolerable is INDOORS, UNDER A ROOF, SURROUNDED BY INSULATED WALLS, and IN THE AIR CONDITIONING set at 76 degrees!!!!!

if you go in the water, it is HOT WATER you are bathing in (current Gulf temp: 89 degrees); how brilliant is that?

if you are on a boat, the rays are refelecting off the water and on to you and and you are roasting

if you go in the pool, the water is too hot (unless it's a shaded pool)

if you are at the beach, you might as well put some chicken rub on yourself because you are basically in a rotisserie grill

the only place that is outdoors and somewhat relieving is some of the cool springs (68-72 degree water)

IMHO the only time the beach is comfortable is Nov-April, when you are not BROILING YOUR SKIN and BONES

Old 06-27-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by culbreathgirl View Post
i've never understood why people in FLA spend time outdoors or on the water in the summer. the only place it is tolerable is INDOORS, UNDER A ROOF, SURROUNDED BY INSULATED WALLS, and IN THE AIR CONDITIONING set at 76 degrees!!!!!

if you go in the water, it is HOT WATER you are bathing in (current Gulf temp: 89 degrees); how brilliant is that?

if you are on a boat, the rays are refelecting off the water and on to you and and you are roasting

if you are at the beach, you might as well put some chicken rub on yourself because you are basically in a rotisserie grill

the only place that is outdoors and somewhat relieving is some of the cool springs (68-72 degree water)

IMHO the only time the beach is comfortable is Nov-April, when you are not BROILING YOUR SKIN and BONES

I agree.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:23 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:

Sounds like Florida is not for you - why exactly did you move here?

Old 06-27-2010, 04:55 PM

323 posts, read 684,876 times
I hear they pay people to live in Alaska.....maybe you should look into that https://www.pfd.state.ak.us/ Oh and the water temperature there is currently a balmy 55 degrees in Anchorage, just so you know. I was at Fort De Soto yesterday and if you go out past your ankles, the water feels quite cool actually. Unless you're on the wrong end of a sandbar....then it's HOT lol.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:00 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Obviously, you do not live in FL.

Quote:

Old 06-27-2010, 05:22 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:

Went out to Lakeland today and helped a friend fix their roof. Yep, up on a roof under the direct rays of the sun then we sat outside and had a few beers. The weather was beautiful.

Then again I like warm weather and that is why I moved to Florida. I guess I could always move somewhere cold so I can be miserable and b itch all the time.

Last edited by Mike1306; 06-27-2010 at 05:32 PM..

Old 06-27-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by druthb00 View Post
I hear they pay people to live in Alaska.....maybe you should look into that https://www.pfd.state.ak.us/ Oh and the water temperature there is currently a balmy 55 degrees in Anchorage, just so you know. I was at Fort De Soto yesterday and if you go out past your ankles, the water feels quite cool actually. Unless you're on the wrong end of a sandbar....then it's HOT lol.
The skeeters are just too much there in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay