Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 02:02 PM

442 posts, read 1,077,536 times

Advertisements

If you have to ask where Clark County is, then you have no business even posting here, let alone teach.

Clark County covers Las Vegas, Nevada, and is either the fourth or fifth largest school district in the United States.

I don't need your condescending attitude, thank you. It's people like you who are the problem.

I try to warn people against this occupation, which isn't like other jobs, by the way, and the working environment is getting worse because of the "reform/privatization" efforts going on all over the country. I KNOW what I am talking about--you do not despite your claims of being an educator. A REAL educator KNOWS about how terrible and unaccountable principals are, and how they can destroy your career over literally nothing. It is almost impossible to get back into the field once they non-renew or terminate you. They are NOT like other supervisors because there is no real chain of command in school systems. They are little dictators who preside over their fiefdoms and are considered untouchable. There is nothing remotely like this in other governmental jobs or in private sector. They work unsupervised, and it takes a highly ethical and mature person to successfully do the job of principal. The vast majority are not good because they are either too young for the job, or they are cronies of other people in the district, or both.

You just got hired? Wait until a principal decides to non-renew you. There goes all of the education down the drain, all of the lifestyle, everything. Your degrees are non-transferable to any other job. Just wait until you are homeless, and it has nothing do with with your silly "The Secret" beliefs about "attitude." You sound very young and very naive. "Blaming others"? It WAS WCSD's fault they kicked me to the curb, and the moron who did it is on her FOURTH job there in five years. They keep moving her around because she is incompetent. School districts don't fire principals unless they are ethical; they keep these dolts around for years and years and years. The crook in HR who put her up to it was demoted to be a supervisor of JANITORIAL SERVICES and took a 31k-a-year pay cut.

YOU don't want to hear the truth--fine. Wait until your "number" comes up and somebody comes after you because they don't like you. You will find out you HAVE no protections AT ALL from school district administrators regardless if you have "tenure," which never has existed in K-12 anyway. It has nothing to do with your ability or your "love" for children. It all has to do with the filthy politics that goes on in school systems. This doesn't happen in the private sector because of the bottom line involved there. I've worked in both. There is no comparison.

At the rate things are going now, there won't BE a public education system left in the United States in 15 years. People are wasting their time going into this field.

Last edited by tonysam; 07-16-2013 at 02:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 02:06 PM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhearted View Post
I am currently a sophomore at a small liberal arts college in Massachusetts. I would really love to become an elementary or middle school teacher, but everything I've read suggests that it is damn near impossible to find a teaching job in the United States right now. I would really like to be employed, so should I rule out education as a career option? Are things really better for science/math/ESL/special education, and by how much? Does the market show any signs of improving in the near future? I will probably go to grad school so perhaps that will buy some time?

EDIT: Also, is it true there are no teaching jobs in New England?
In ESL one can find jobs in Asia usually if one is willing to travel.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:58 PM

20,125 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysam View Post
If you have to ask where Clark County is, then you have no business even posting here, let alone teach.

Clark County covers Las Vegas, Nevada, and is either the fourth or fifth largest school district in the United States.
Why on Earth would someone on the East coast know or care about what county Las Vegas is in. Do you know the names of every county in the USA? And what pray tell, has that got to do with teaching science regardless.

Quote:
I don't need your condescending attitude, thank you. It's people like you who are the problem.

I try to warn people against this occupation, which isn't like other jobs, by the way, and the working environment is getting worse because of the "reform/privatization" efforts going on all over the country. I KNOW what I am talking about--you do not despite your claims of being an educator. A REAL educator KNOWS about how terrible and unaccountable principals are, and how they can destroy your career over literally nothing. It is almost impossible to get back into the field once they non-renew or terminate you. They are NOT like other supervisors because there is no real chain of command in school systems. They are little dictators who preside over their fiefdoms and are considered untouchable. There is nothing remotely like this in other governmental jobs or in private sector. They work unsupervised, and it takes a highly ethical and mature person to successfully do the job of principal. The vast majority are not good because they are either too young for the job, or they are cronies of other people in the district, or both.

You just got hired? Wait until a principal decides to non-renew you. There goes all of the education down the drain, all of the lifestyle, everything. Your degrees are non-transferable to any other job. Just wait until you are homeless, and it has nothing do with with your silly "The Secret" beliefs about "attitude." You sound very young and very naive. "Blaming others"? It WAS WCSD's fault they kicked me to the curb, and the moron who did it is on her FOURTH job there in five years. They keep moving her around because she is incompetent. School districts don't fire principals unless they are ethical; they keep these dolts around for years and years and years. The crook in HR who put her up to it was demoted to be a supervisor of JANITORIAL SERVICES and took a 31k-a-year pay cut.

YOU don't want to hear the truth--fine. Wait until your "number" comes up and somebody comes after you because they don't like you. You will find out you HAVE no protections AT ALL from school district administrators regardless if you have "tenure," which never has existed in K-12 anyway. It has nothing to do with your ability or your "love" for children. It all has to do with the filthy politics that goes on in school systems. This doesn't happen in the private sector because of the bottom line involved there. I've worked in both. There is no comparison.

At the rate things are going now, there won't BE a public education system left in the United States in 15 years. People are wasting their time going into this field.
In the over 20 years I have taught I have not seen what you keep describing. I also think that over two decades in the education field qualifies me as a real educator, despite having a different perspective than you. Teaching has some unique circumstances, no question about it, but it is not near as ugly as you paint it. You have a right to complain and tell your story but, seriously, you need to let go of all that bitterness. You'll never be able to get a job when you keep radiating all that negativity.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:11 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,590,261 times
You guys make it sound so great, Haha. I recently decided to go for a post-baccalaureate certification to teach high school. My degrees in history and political science have done nothing to get me a career and I'm stuck in retail hell.

I get that jobs can be hard to find, but don't you all think it's a matter of perspective? Teaching, even with the politics, low income and job instability looks better than those same things in retail.

There are a lot of attractive things about teaching. You control your classroom, get to teach interesting things, are challenged every day, and hell, you get to sit down once in a while instead of standig around selling garbage all day.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:15 AM

20,125 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
You guys make it sound so great, Haha. I recently decided to go for a post-baccalaureate certification to teach high school. My degrees in history and political science have done nothing to get me a career and I'm stuck in retail hell.

I get that jobs can be hard to find, but don't you all think it's a matter of perspective? Teaching, even with the politics, low income and job instability looks better than those same things in retail.

There are a lot of attractive things about teaching. You control your classroom, get to teach interesting things, are challenged every day, and hell, you get to sit down once in a while instead of standig around selling garbage all day.
I agree teaching is better than retail, which I did in addition to subbing the first year after I graduated. The problem some people have is that they only worked in education. However, I do want to correct one thing, how much control you get over your classroom can be highly dependent on your administration. Don't be discouraged, I loved teaching. But, you need to keep in mind that there are some schools out there with horrible work environments, and I don't mean the kids.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:19 PM

639 posts, read 1,123,070 times
I do think the teaching field is somewhat saturated which is creating the fierce competition for jobs. However, the job market varies by region. My friend just landed her first teaching job in Phoenix. In NY the market is generally though, but I feel like every person and their mom is a teacher here.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:18 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Why on Earth would someone on the East coast know or care about what county Las Vegas is in. Do you know the names of every county in the USA? And what pray tell, has that got to do with teaching science regardless.

In the over 20 years I have taught I have not seen what you keep describing. I also think that over two decades in the education field qualifies me as a real educator, despite having a different perspective than you. Teaching has some unique circumstances, no question about it, but it is not near as ugly as you paint it. You have a right to complain and tell your story but, seriously, you need to let go of all that bitterness. You'll never be able to get a job when you keep radiating all that negativity.
Very well said. Kudos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post

As a former history major (many, many years ago) with secondary ed in social studies, I feel your pain. I finally went back to school and got into computer programming which was a wise choice for me as I not only make a lot more money but have never been unemployed since. If you like teaching, get your certification. As others have said, though, pick up the extra courses in the physical sciences or math if you can to extend your certification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingElsewhere View Post
I do think the teaching field is somewhat saturated which is creating the fierce competition for jobs. However, the job market varies by region. My friend just landed her first teaching job in Phoenix. In NY the market is generally though, but I feel like every person and their mom is a teacher here.
Again, as others have said, there are openings in different areas. There are also openings in different certification areas, including math and the physical sciences as well as in Special Ed.

I will say this about teaching in inner city schools, which some on here disparage: teaching in poor schools does not have to be horrible if you have a supportive school administration. In fact, it can be very rewarding, but it depends upon your attitude as much as the support you get from the administration. If you're uncomfortable around minorities or immigrants or you "know" they'll never amount to anything because of who they are or where they come from, then your experience isn't going to be pretty. If you come in with a positive attitude and an honest interest in these kids' successes, you can have success, too. It might only be with 2 or 3 but throwing out that life-line to those 2 or 3 makes the job worthwhile.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:25 PM

639 posts, read 1,123,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Again, as others have said, there are openings in different areas. There are also openings in different certification areas, including math and the physical sciences as well as in Special Ed.

I will say this about teaching in inner city schools, which some on here disparage: teaching in poor schools does not have to be horrible if you have a supportive school administration. In fact, it can be very rewarding, but it depends upon your attitude as much as the support you get from the administration. If you're uncomfortable around minorities or immigrants or you "know" they'll never amount to anything because of who they are or where they come from, then your experience isn't going to be pretty. If you come in with a positive attitude and an honest interest in these kids' successes, you can have success, too. It might only be with 2 or 3 but throwing out that life-line to those 2 or 3 makes the job worthwhile.
I'll correct in say that Downstate NY (Long Island the worst) teaching job market is very competitive, with "everyone and their mom being a teacher." Not sure what it's like in Buffalo or other areas of Upstate NY. You're right, getting a teaching job can be dependent on if you have certain certifications. I know earth science education is in demand.

I agree that from hearing stories inner city teaching is a rewarding experience. Unfortunately, even NYC inner city teaching job market has somewhat competitive because all the people from Long Island can't get job there. But then again, it can all depend on your certification (ESL is in demand for NYC schools).

Old 07-28-2013, 01:14 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,847,696 times
Quote:
If you have to ask where Clark County is, then you have no business even posting here, let alone teach. (1)

Clark County covers Las Vegas, Nevada, and is either the fourth or fifth largest school district in the United States. (2)

I try to warn people against this occupation, which isn't like other jobs, by the way, and the working environment is getting worse because of the "reform/privatization" efforts going on all over the country. I KNOW what I am talking about--you do not despite your claims of being an educator. A REAL educator KNOWS about how terrible and unaccountable principals are, and how they can destroy your career over literally nothing. It is almost impossible to get back into the field once they non-renew or terminate you. They are NOT like other supervisors because there is no real chain of command in school systems. They are little dictators who preside over their fiefdoms and are considered untouchable. There is nothing remotely like this in other governmental jobs or in private sector. They work unsupervised, and it takes a highly ethical and mature person to successfully do the job of principal. The vast majority are not good because they are either too young for the job, or they are cronies of other people in the district, or both. (3)

You just got hired? Wait until a principal decides to non-renew you. There goes all of the education down the drain, all of the lifestyle, everything. Your degrees are non-transferable to any other job. Just wait until you are homeless, and it has nothing do with with your silly "The Secret" beliefs about "attitude." You sound very young and very naive. "Blaming others"? It WAS WCSD's fault they kicked me to the curb, and the moron who did it is on her FOURTH job there in five years. They keep moving her around because she is incompetent. School districts don't fire principals unless they are ethical; they keep these dolts around for years and years and years. The crook in HR who put her up to it was demoted to be a supervisor of JANITORIAL SERVICES and took a 31k-a-year pay cut. (4)

YOU don't want to hear the truth--fine. Wait until your "number" comes up and somebody comes after you because they don't like you. You will find out you HAVE no protections AT ALL from school district administrators regardless if you have "tenure," which never has existed in K-12 anyway. It has nothing to do with your ability or your "love" for children. It all has to do with the filthy politics that goes on in school systems. This doesn't happen in the private sector because of the bottom line involved there. I've worked in both. There is no comparison. (5)

(6)

1.) to be honest i'd be willing to bet a lot of people only know about clark county these days due to pawn stars haha.

2.) you are very correct. it is the 5th largest which i actually find surprising for some reason. not that you were correct but that clark county schools really are that populated.

3.) principals are actually very accountable. In South Carolina where I teach, administrators are normally the first ones to go in schools that are not showing gains. In Ohio where I grew up they recently passed legislation making a principal's evaluation dependent on school report card performance and data growth. poor growth / numbers = to poor eval = to no job down the road. My school district in SC is the largest mind you (70k student population) with 14 high schools, and untold numbers of k-5 schools. with that being said my district has an asst. superintendent who is in charge of all the 9-12 admins, an asst. super who is in charge of all the 6-8 admins and one for all the k-5 admins. they are all supervised, evaluated once every 3 years based on numerous categories and variables and are normally all in their 40s and 50s (principals that is), some asst. principals in their late 20s normally at the middle school level. I like how you said "almost impossible" to get back into the teaching profession once out. gives you some wiggle room to back track .

4.) you mad bro?

5.) see #4

6.) i'm saving your quote there for the year 2028. provided CD is still around (fingers crossed) we can revisit your comments at a later date and time.

god bless

Old 09-27-2013, 10:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,122 times
Don't let someone like tonysam get you down. I just graduated from grad school in boston last May and spent months searching for full time teaching jobs in the boston area before looking elsewhere. I was going to be a sub or a teaching assistant for a year or two in an area of crazy high rents and cost of living, before I stumbled upon clark county as a place that was hiring teachers. The adventure in vegas has had its ups and downs But i do not regret for a second moving across the country, life is a journey and every adventure has its ups and downs. Just roll with it.

Even with a big bump in the road in clark county, everything worked out and I am now working at a school with a very supportive grade level team and administration. The school is in a tougher neighborhood, but I feel I can truly make a difference in my students lives. The interesting thing about the district is that if you don't like the school you are at you can transfer schools, there are hidden gems in the city and hundreds of schools all with different admins. Some Teachers complain no matter what district they work in,back in the ritzy suburbs of boston teachers complained on a daily basis and yet had resources that barely any schools in the states have.

My advice, if you love to teach, then teach. Don't give up on your dreams and take chances, never let anyone like this so called teacher stand in the way of what you want to do with your life. There will always be teachers that hate their jobs, but the same goes for every profession. I would much rather be working in a classroom and have to deal with the crap that comes with it then working for some company that does no good for the world. If you are a good teacher then you will have colleagues and principals that respect you for what you do for your students... Do what you love, and don't let the haters of the world get you down. Find somewhere in the country or world where teachers are in demand and put up with the nonsense that comes with it, teaching is on a pendulum that has always swung back and forth. Trends in education come and go, but good teachers can always find a job if they put their students success first. Be strong and smile at the world... Btw the weather here in clark county is pretty awesome compared to boston... I won't miss digging out of three feet of snow 

Tonysam quit your complaining and start teaching... Ppl like you are the reason our profession gets a bad rap. Change professions if you don't like it, the students would probably benefit from getting you out of our classrooms.

Last edited by Chocrotes; 09-27-2013 at 10:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching