Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 01:27 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,529,541 times

Advertisements

God, as a parent to a 3rd grader, I am really saddened by this thread. I think teaching is such a respected, honorable field, and am surprised to hear that teachers believe most parents feel otherwise. Though an incredibly difficult job, you guys really do have a major impact in the lives of our children. I can't think of a more important job. Thank you for all you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 10:03 AM

177 posts, read 366,382 times
I am a foreign language teacher with over 20 years experience and I've personally seen some really good teachers go through h... with being demonized by administrators determined to make them look incompetent. I personally have enjoyed most of my time working with students in both middle/high school grades, but I have also had some awful administrators myself I've worked under, especially the last few years. Have been RIF'ed twice the last three years due to budget cuts; have looked all spring/summer (and still am now) trying to find another job - and after MANY interviews during this time frame, both in and out of education and out of my area; still nothing has come through. The "red flag syndrome" is probably part of this; as well as being viewed as overqualified or the "just a teacher" perceptions. Part of it is probably also due to having a lot of experience and a Master's degree; part of it based on what I've endured the last 3 years or so which has probably "tarred and feathered" my reputation professionally. If a federal job I've already applied and interviewed for comes through I will more than likely leave education and not look backward. I do/would miss working with the kids , but I am burned out on being made to feel as if something is wrong with me professionally from administrators who are extreme micro-managers yet ignore/overlook bigger areas of concern in their schools, or ones who seemingly purposely target teachers they perceive as weak, incompetent, or whatever else to get rid of them. I am a good teacher and if I weren't I wouldn't have done this for so many years already, but the politics and inflexibility of administrators anymore seems to be worsening - and heaven help you if you are perceived as not agreeing with their ideas/philosophy in whatever way. If I were considering going into this career now I'd consider other options or have a definite backup plan too, b/c all it takes is ONE administrator to damage/ruin your career - I've seen it happen personally.

Last edited by profesora; 10-01-2013 at 10:53 AM..

Old 10-01-2013, 10:38 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,238,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by profesora View Post
I am a foreign language teacher with over 20 years experience and I've personally seen some really good teachers go through h... with being demonized by administrators determined to make them look incompetent. I personally have enjoyed most of my time working with students in both middle/high school grades, but I have also had some awful administrators myself I've worked under, especially the last few years. Have been RIF'ed twice the last three years due to budget cuts; have looked all spring/summer (and still am now) trying to find another job - and after MANY interviews during this time frame, both in and out of education and out of my area; still nothing has come through. The "red flag syndrome" is probably part of this; as well as being viewed as overqualfied or the "just a teacher" perceptions. Part of it is probably also due to having a lot of experience and a Master's degree; part of it based on what I've endured the last 3 years or so which has probably "tarred and feathered" my reputation professionally. If a federal job I've already applied and interviewed for comes through I will more than likely leave education and not look backward. I do/would miss working with the kids , but I am burned out on being made to feel as if something is wrong with me professionally from administrators who are extreme micro-managers yet ignore/overlook bigger areas of concern in their schools, or ones who semmingly purposely target teachers they perceive as weak, incompetent, or whatever else to get rid of them. I am a good teacher and if I weren't I wouldn't have done this for so many years already, but the politics and inflexibility of administrators anymore seems to be worsening - and heaven help you if you are perceived as not agreeing with their ideas/philosophy in whatever way. If I were considering going into this career now I'd consider other options or have a definite backup plan too, b/c all it takes is ONE administrator to damage/ruin your career - I've seen it happen personally.

Thank u for the excellent sumary and honest opinion of administrative attitudes of SOME.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:51 AM

177 posts, read 366,382 times
I never stated that all the administrators I've worked under were/are like this; but in the last few years I have seen more and more of an inflexibility/micromanaging than ever before. And after over 20 years I think I have seen a wide variety of people I've worked with/for in various locations all over the country as well as having taught overseas. If I were able to locate a school/fulltime position in a decent location that would be willing to acknowledge that sometimes, no matter how hard one works even if they do everything expected/required it will never be enough for the administrator in charge, then I would be definitely willing to consider that location/job. But so far that doesn't seem to be happening after all my previous interviews this spring/summer - and after while it becomes pretty clearly obvious...

Old 10-22-2013, 12:13 PM

398 posts, read 698,881 times
Wow I have to thank each and every one of you for posting in this thread. I had just signed up for the first teaching certificate exam in my state, to begin the road - and I have just as quickly canceled it. I currently have a full-time admin job which I was even considering quitting, and now have to consider what the heck was going through my mind.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:04 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,756,094 times
Wow! I have love, love, LOVED my 25 years of teaching, so much so that I now sub in retirement to get my kid-fix. For me, it has been the most rewarding, stimulating job.

Besides my love for my job & students, I have loved having the lifestyle to be able to backpack, hike, bike, camp and travel during my summers. That has been such a wonderful balance with the school year.

As for whether there will be job openings, just think of the huge number of baby-boomer teachers, like myself, who are retiring or getting ready to do so.

Spend some time volunteering in classrooms to see if it is a good match for you. I would hate to have aspiring teachers quit on the basis of a C-D thread alone LOL.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:41 PM

20,127 posts, read 16,173,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Wow! I have love, love, LOVED my 25 years of teaching, so much so that I now sub in retirement to get my kid-fix. For me, it has been the most rewarding, stimulating job.

Besides my love for my job & students, I have loved having the lifestyle to be able to backpack, hike, bike, camp and travel during my summers. That has been such a wonderful balance with the school year.

As for whether there will be job openings, just think of the huge number of baby-boomer teachers, like myself, who are retiring or getting ready to do so.

Spend some time volunteering in classrooms to see if it is a good match for you. I would hate to have aspiring teachers quit on the basis of a C-D thread alone LOL.
I would hate that too. I too loved teaching, and did so for 27 years, but you and I both know the working environment has radically changed for teachers over the past decade - and not for the better. The true summer vacations we had when we first started have been curtailed, and in some places essentially eliminated, with the demands for summer PDs to implement the newest fad. The pressure of being evaluated on test scores which are impacted by things beyond a teacher's control has made teaching a far more stressful job that we first encountered. The latest and greatest, total inclusion and differentiation within every classroom, has now forced teachers to make at least three lesson plans for every lesson. The erosion of teacher planning periods to have parent meetings, collaborative meetings, special ed meetings, and learning communities has resulted in more planning and grading being done at home. Parents these days demand to be able to see their children's grades every day on the computer and don't hesitate to call if they have a single question they do it before they ask their child why they have that grade. Email has created an expectation of immediate response to parent inquires. Technology has not made teaching easier, to say the least, among other things, teachers are now expected to create presentations and interactive technological lessons rather than just teach. The trend of blaming the teacher for the child's failure to perform has gotten way out of hand and is a source of constant frustration. Mandatory tutoring during planning, before school, and after school are now the expectation.

I miss the kids, miss them bad, but all the extra stuff was sucking the joy out of teaching. You and I were lucky, we got to teach when teachers still had autonomy over their classrooms. If it ever goes back to that I would love to go back, but right now? No. If I were starting out today I would go into a different profession.

But she needs to decide whether it is for her, herself.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 10-22-2013 at 07:51 PM..

Old 10-23-2013, 07:48 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,238,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post

I would HATE to see someone go into teaching not knowing the reality and how it is on MANY states today.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:52 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Anyone thinking of going into teaching should volunteer in their local school first.
Volunteer to help in the classroom though so you can see what goes on.

Know what you are getting into before you jump in.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:01 PM

398 posts, read 698,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Anyone thinking of going into teaching should volunteer in their local school first.
Volunteer to help in the classroom though so you can see what goes on.

Know what you are getting into before you jump in.
This gave me pause also. I am currently working full-time and wouldn't be able to give up my job in order to substitute teach or earn the experience for peanuts as "they" (you know!) want you to do. For those of us working a regular 9-5 job, I guess it's just not happening. I'm so glad I made the decision to pull out of it early on, unlike the thousands of college students who will realize the hard way that what they're doing is not all it's cracked up to be. I thank the CD community for that at least, and the opportunity for me to hear it like it is from you guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching