Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 09:41 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times

Advertisements

I just counted 64 LD teacher openings in our district, plus 14 ED and 12 Intellectual Disability positions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 09:53 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I just counted 64 LD teacher openings in our district, plus 14 ED and 12 Intellectual Disability positions.

Is that in the NoVA area?

Old 07-09-2013, 10:00 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Is that in the NoVA area?
Yes.

Job Opportunities | Fairfax County Public Schools

Old 07-09-2013, 10:11 AM

4,861 posts, read 6,927,783 times
So it is still much, much easier to get a job in some places than others. I think part of the reason is that at least in the Midwest there are tons of colleges and universities that are churning out teachers. Arizona has like 4 major universities that offer teaching degrees, that's it. Missouri has well over 10. {Quote}

Above is one of the BIGGEST problems the education field has. Far too many colleges are pumping out education graduates. Many occupations regulate their numbers and the number of colleges that are offering their majors. By doing so they can control the quality of graduates much better. The duplication of education degrees all over certain states makes for a glut of graduates pursuing too few job opportunities.

In South Dakota alone we have 9 institutions both public and private flooding the market. This is a state with just over 800,000 total population. The quality of the teachers graduating varies greatly from school to school.

Some in South Dakota think this is just wonderful, since this overflow of teachers helps keep our state 51st in teacher pay.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:43 PM

24 posts, read 47,958 times
I keep hearing NoVa mentioned as a good place to find a teaching job. What's wrong with it?

Old 07-10-2013, 05:55 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhearted View Post
I keep hearing NoVa mentioned as a good place to find a teaching job. What's wrong with it?
Beginning teacher pay is low compared to the cost of living. Large, ever growing student population, so there are always oodles of openings. Biggest headache up here? High pressure parents who are barracudas in making sure their special snowflake receives straight A's and that you acknowledge the wonders of their child. Their child can do no wrong either. All that said, most people think it is a great place to teach.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:17 PM

36 posts, read 64,967 times
I just graduated college (May 2013) with a BA in Geology and my initial certification for Earth Science 7-12 from New York State and got hired as a 7th grade Science teacher in New Jersey. I got hired 2 weeks before graduation and am extremely lucky and blessed.

My advice: Only become a teacher if it is the only job you believe you were meant to do; live, breathe teaching. About four years ago I had your same exact question and thoughts and that is why I switched my major from History to Geology instead. Thank GOD i switched to science because finding a History job on long island is extremely difficult. Bio is flooded with med school drop outs so i would advise against bio.

1. go for adolescent education (7-12) and only apply to middle schools if you only like the younger kids. Elementary jobs on Long Island are few and far between (i know you said mass but i'm sharing what i know)
2. If you choose to just do your k-5 cert.....Minor in Geology or Math if you can. Having the extra credits in math or sci will make you more desirable than just a k-5.
3. you will need to be certified in special ed at some point
4. getting your masters in TESOL is a big deal especially since the influx of immigrants are increasing

in conclusion: only become a teacher if it is what you love and can't possibly think of doing something else ANd are willing to take more credits at the undergrad level to get that minor in math or sci to make you more competative if you only stick with the k-5 or english history related. good luck.

There ARE jobs out there. My classmate just got hired as a high school Chemistry teacher in queens. good luck

Old 07-14-2013, 09:19 AM

442 posts, read 1,077,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 516xo212 View Post
I just graduated college (May 2013) with a BA in Geology and my initial certification for Earth Science 7-12 from New York State and got hired as a 7th grade Science teacher in New Jersey. I got hired 2 weeks before graduation and am extremely lucky and blessed.

My advice: Only become a teacher if it is the only job you believe you were meant to do; live, breathe teaching. About four years ago I had your same exact question and thoughts and that is why I switched my major from History to Geology instead. Thank GOD i switched to science because finding a History job on long island is extremely difficult. Bio is flooded with med school drop outs so i would advise against bio.

1. go for adolescent education (7-12) and only apply to middle schools if you only like the younger kids. Elementary jobs on Long Island are few and far between (i know you said mass but i'm sharing what i know)
2. If you choose to just do your k-5 cert.....Minor in Geology or Math if you can. Having the extra credits in math or sci will make you more desirable than just a k-5.
3. you will need to be certified in special ed at some point
4. getting your masters in TESOL is a big deal especially since the influx of immigrants are increasing

in conclusion: only become a teacher if it is what you love and can't possibly think of doing something else ANd are willing to take more credits at the undergrad level to get that minor in math or sci to make you more competative if you only stick with the k-5 or english history related. good luck.

There ARE jobs out there. My classmate just got hired as a high school Chemistry teacher in queens. good luck
Only in fields that are considered "undesirable" or in districts like Clark County that aren't good to work for.

The fact of the matter is "success" in this job is largely out of your hands. You are at the complete mercy of an administrator who can destroy your career at the stroke of a pen. Your "love" and "dedication" have nothing to do with this.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:26 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysam View Post
Only in fields that are considered "undesirable" or in districts like Clark County that aren't good to work for.

The fact of the matter is "success" in this job is largely out of your hands. You are at the complete mercy of an administrator who can destroy your career at the stroke of a pen. Your "love" and "dedication" have nothing to do with this.
Sadly this is the absolute truth. Education has become just another 7:00 am--7:00 pm job.

12 hours a day, huge co-pays, self-financed retirement and a time card.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:52 AM

36 posts, read 64,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysam View Post

First of all, where the hell is Clark County, and who cares? Actually don't even answer that because I don't even care. You say there are only jobs in undesirable fields? How do you know that? Are you currently out there interviewing??? which content specialty/field is undesirable and by what standards???
I got hired in the town I live. Are you really trying to tell me that the only jobs available are in bad neighborhoods? I live in a waterfront community on the new jersey gold coast . . . where parents are dying to rent home/apartments/use a friend-family members address/ to get their kids into my school. So you are over generalizing, and assuming and wrong wrong wrong.

Secondly, the original poster specifically asked:

" I would really like to be employed, so should I rule out education as a career option? Are things really better for science/math/ESL/special education, and by how much? Does the market show any signs of improving in the near future? I will probably go to grad school so perhaps that will buy some time?"

And my response to her question is that Yes, things really are better for Science teachers and by a lot, considering most of the students who just completed the program I did, have been already found jobs. Also, when a young person is seeking advice for their prospective career options, I'm bet its pretty safe to say to follow your dreams and pursue what you love to do. Hopefully if you do what you love you will never work a day in your life.

Finally Yes, there will always be admins that are monsters, but that is true for any supervisors at any job.

Ones love and dedication is a great motivating factor for their own personal attitude goals and success and greatly shapes your outlook and they way you conduct your life. Positive outlook people go farther and stay stronger than those who become complacent, blame others for their own failures, and complain about having to contribute to their benefit plans when so many people don't even have jobs or health insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching