Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 11:17 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,259,018 times

Advertisements

I forgot to add. If you feel strongly about the whole uniform situation and you are willing or able to do your intern somewhere else, but may try to work it out and do it at the catholic school, you can also directly approach the assistant principal and let him know how you feel and remind him about your previous agreement. By doing this you may be able to clear things upfront, or at the very least you will get a better idea of what your experience may be like. I really do not like that underhanded approach and ordering those uniforms without informing you. It is almost like "Hey, I am the boss and she is going to wear what I tell her. She has no choice if she is going to be here".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 11:49 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,947,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Wallace View Post
You have currently not earned the right to wear what the faculty wears because you haven't earned employment there and aren't yet entitled to that kind of distinction.
WOW! Is that what you think of student teachers?

Student teachers need to earn the respect of the students and it is very difficult to do so when the teacher is not allowed to fully assume the role of teacher. IMO that would include dressing like a teacher, whatever that means in a particular school.

I just met my supervising teacher and he did not seem to have the attitude of superiority that you presume. If he did it would be very intimidating.

If I were the OP I would consider other student teaching opportunities. Depending on her program it might be difficult to do so. In my program we are required to obtain our positions in a public school and everything is arranged by the university. If it is possible she should work with her university contacts to obtain another opportunity. Most universities bend over backwards to ensure that their students do well when they are student teaching.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:51 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,342,433 times
Personally, I would run as fast as I could from this place. They are sending you a message loud and clear about how they feel about you, both as a person and as an educator. They are not professional, and this is not going to turn out well.

If you absolutely must stay (and in this economy, I can't blame you), I would take the jumpers to a seamstress and have them tailored to fit you.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:02 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,594,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post

Student teachers need to earn the respect of the students and it is very difficult to do so when the teacher is not allowed to fully assume the role of teacher. IMO that would include dressing like a teacher, whatever that means in a particular school.

I just met my supervising teacher and he did not seem to have the attitude of superiority that you presume. If he did it would be very intimidating.

If I were the OP I would consider other student teaching opportunities. Depending on her program it might be difficult to do so. In my program we are required to obtain our positions in a public school and everything is arranged by the university. If it is possible she should work with her university contacts to obtain another opportunity. Most universities bend over backwards to ensure that their students do well when they are student teaching.
Yup. This is about sending the message the student teacher is an authority figure not worrying about what the teachers think. Wearing the same outfit the students do, she won't be treated with respect. She's not being treated with respect by the administration why should the kids respect her?

While I would agree there are things the teachers might do that she shouldn't becasue she's a student teacher they are things that might compromise respect for her position. For example, when I was a student teacher, the teachers wore blue jeans on Friday. I never did because I felt I needed the higher dress code to set me apart because I was a student teacher.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:42 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,166,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
You mean that they haven't earned the full status of the faculty?
That they haven't earned a paid, permanent position at that school?
That they have not completed the training required of a teacher?
That faculty members, by their completion of training and by their years of experience, have justly earned a level of respect higher than that of a student teacher?

Yes.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:51 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,241,476 times
Quote:
Then don't take the position.
If you do, you need to accept the fact that these are the requirements of the school.

You have currently not earned the right to wear what the faculty wears because you haven't earned employment there and aren't yet entitled to that kind of distinction.

Also, you're so angry that you cannot even express yourself? Many professions have either literal uniforms or nearly so, and I'm not merely speaking of the many blue-collar or service industry professions which require a uniform code of dress for their workers. You, I presume, do not like plaid. I find scrubs make me look significantly heavier. Were I a doctor and required to wear scrubs, that would be a condition of the job I would either have to accept with grace or find important enough to leave over. You have that same right.

This is their school; they have every right to dictate what they feel is appropriate for their employees, interns, and students. You, in your turn, have every right to find this an unacceptable condition of your internship and leave.

Best of luck to you in your professional endeavors.
I'm with you. The OP complained about the dress code for interns to the principal, which took major league stones in the first place, apparently trying to negotiate a different uniform. Personally, I'm amazed the principal just didn't send her packing the minute she complained.

I mean, that's like being hired as a trainee manager at McDonalds and, during the interview process, complaining to the Regional Manager about the uniform and demanding she wear something else. How presumptuous is that?

Old 08-11-2009, 02:52 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,916,377 times
OP, I'd talk to the administration and point out that the male student teacher was wearing a white button down shirt and navy pants and you should be able to wear a white button down shirt and either navy pants or a navy skirt.

Honestly the outfit you described sounds creepy on an adult female.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:10 PM

44 posts, read 27,322 times
Lisdol, what's so creepy about it? It's a uniform jumper-dress in a Catholic school setting. The school has every right to set a dress code especially for students and interns. It sounds like the assistant principal changed his mind late in the game and the OP is not happy about it. Granted, while the AP might have handled it better by giving the OP advanced notice of the change he surely is within his right to make the change.

I'm not sure why the OP is so troubled by the uniform. It sounds reasonable for a Catholic school setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
OP, I'd talk to the administration and point out that the male student teacher was wearing a white button down shirt and navy pants and you should be able to wear a white button down shirt and either navy pants or a navy skirt.

Honestly the outfit you described sounds creepy on an adult female.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:53 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,916,377 times
Its creepy because its a little girl uniform. In private school we lost the jumpers after 5th grade and I don't know of any parochial high school that uses jumpers - they use kilts or skorts in my experience. She is a fully-developed, tall adult female wearing a 10-year-old's uniform, down to the knee socks. I don't know any adults that wear knee socks with skirts or dresses.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:06 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,594,408 times
Quote:
Then don't take the position.
If you do, you need to accept the fact that these are the requirements of the school.

Also, you're so angry that you cannot even express yourself? Many professions have either literal uniforms or nearly so, and I'm not merely speaking of the many blue-collar or service industry professions which require a uniform code of dress for their workers. You, I presume, do not like plaid. I find scrubs make me look significantly heavier. Were I a doctor and required to wear scrubs, that would be a condition of the job I would either have to accept with grace or find important enough to leave over. You have that same right.

This is their school; they have every right to dictate what they feel is appropriate for their employees, interns, and students. You, in your turn, have every right to find this an unacceptable condition of your internship and leave.

Best of luck to you in your professional endeavors.
This is not an issue of expressing herself. It's an issue of being forced to dress like a student. This will not foster respect from the students.

If the teachers wore a uniform and she was being asked to wear a variant on that uniform because she's not a full teacher, it would be understandable. She's being asked to wear a variant on the uniform of the students. She's a lot closer to a teacher than the students she teaches and needs to be presented as such if she's to have any authority in the classroom.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 08-11-2009 at 04:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching