Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 07:18 PM

44 posts, read 27,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
That is a great idea.

OP, you probably are aware of this but Lands End does uniforms and you could probably find something conservative there that you could present as a suggestion.
I think the OP should not make it an issue with the assistant principal. It sounds like they've already discussed this issue and he has made his decision by ordering her the uniform he expects her to wear. If she approaches him suggesting alternatives he is just going to stand firm because he has already considered the issue, and would unlikely backtrack.

What the OP and others may not have realized about some catholic high schools, is that they tolerate skirts above the knee. I went to a coed catholic high school where the girls skirts could be 3 inches above the knee, and often were higher than 3 inches without teachers saying anything.

As long as the OP has to wear any type of jumper or skirt uniform, she should expect a little bit of leg to show, especially being tall at 5' 11'. I doubt the other teachers or administrators will even take notice considering all the female students wear these uniforms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 12:23 PM

28 posts, read 111,300 times
Friday morning, I took photobuff42's suggestion and wore navy slacks and a white button up shirt because they have me helping move books and supplies in their new library addition.

During the better part of last week, I spent my time in a jumper crouching down on the floor going through piles of books, bending, and lifting materials. Two senior-year male volunteers followed me around like puppy dogs, wanting to be my friends. They pretty much hung around, standing over me talking to me as I worked.

At lunch time, the AP spotted me in the hall and walked me to his office. He told me that what I wore wasn't permitted, and he told me that I had to go home and either change and come back, or take the afternoon off and think about whether I wanted to continue there over this weekend.

I don't know if I am going back tomorrow. He essentially said I would be on probation, and that I would need to stop by his office in the mornings so he could eyeball my attire.

I called my advisor Friday afternoon, but he had not talked directly to the assistant principal as of this weekend. It would be ideal if he could find me another placement on this short notice, or get the AP to work out some other options for me.

I'm at a total loss as to what to do in the morning. My gut is saying don't go back, but my mind is saying don't screw up the internship in case I can't get another one on short notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
What would happen if you did the rebel yell, and showed up in a white button up shirt or polo with nice navy slacks or tailored navy skirt? Since the administrator didn't tell you what he did, I bet he wouldn't have the guts to tell you that your attire wasn't appropriate! I hope you didn't have to pay for those uniforms....

Old 08-16-2009, 03:13 PM

13,255 posts, read 33,610,253 times
My guess is that the AP thought that you were undermining his authority by not wearing what you were specifically told to wear. It's one thing to disagree with your supervisor but still do what he or she asks, but it's another to pretend you agree and then do what you want to do. By not talking to him again with your objections and offering some alternative outfits and just wearing what you wanted to wear you were in effect telling him that you did not respect his judgment or authority. It may be hard for him to back down at this point.

If I were you, I would wear the jumper but have your adviser look hard for another position. Knowing that you might be able to get out of this mess might help.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:47 PM
Ohs

236 posts, read 713,739 times
[quote=megansmom;10304076]

During the better part of last week, I spent my time in a jumper crouching down on the floor going through piles of books, bending, and lifting materials.

What kind of internship is this, you aren't even in the classroom with a teacher observing and learning how to teach. Instead you are organizing books!!!! What a load of BS, who care if it takes longer to get another internship this is not ok. My student teaching was set up so that I was working side by side with a teacher and was eased into teaching the class on my own. You observe, work in groups, present small lessons and so on. I'm sure it's a little different in High School then Elementary but not so different that you are put to some menial task that has nothing to do with teaching and then given grief because you didn't wear your stupid jumper. Do you plan on working for a private or public school? Because if you aren't planning on a private you shouldn't be putting up with this crap and just look into public schools. If you don't hear from your advisor right away then call in sick that day and make sure you talk to them. You are paying your school to give you a good well rounded education and if they aren't watching out for your welfare then they aren't doing their job. My second student teaching experience was in a really bad school were the administration had no control, there was fights in the class I was in and the kids called me a liar and said they were going to kill me and the principal talked to them and sent them back to the class with candy. Then there was groups of gangs chasing other kids around threatening to kick their a$$, and students starting fires and well the list goes on and on. So I asked to be moved because it wasn't a healthy learning environment and I didn't feel safe. My advisor tried to say at first well you know you might get a rough class and have to deal with this bla bla, and I said I would never work somewhere I felt my life was in danger and they moved me. This was a fourth grade class not even in high school. So yes your situation isn't dangerous or anything but it's still not a good match and you aren't being taught how to teach so it's your administrators responsibility to change that for you. Good luck, keep us posted...

Old 08-16-2009, 04:01 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,261,303 times
I agree with Ohs, that is not what an intership should be about. I can understand if part of a day, or an hour, helping organize books with your supervising teacher or any teacher at that. But the better part of the week, NO WAY! It sounds like they may be utilizing their interns as clerks, or to do labor, or other type of work that they may usually have to pay some one to do.

I understand that in a school setting, particularly a private school setting teachers perform duties that are not in their job descriptions. But to be doing that for the better part of the week sounds crazy. For that you can be doing an internship at a library or book store. Like I mentioned before, I do not like the direction of this internship. It appears that you may have more to worry about than just the dress code issue.

Good luck and keep us inform.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:59 PM

31,690 posts, read 41,126,622 times
As presented this is starting to sound a bit odd and strange. I am not sure what is meant by the two men following her like puppy dogs. That could use some additional clarification as it sounds like it might be problem.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:02 PM

31,690 posts, read 41,126,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
fetish maybe??
I am beginning to wonder!

Old 08-16-2009, 05:05 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,634,920 times
Maybe school hasn't started yet?

Old 08-16-2009, 05:08 PM

28 posts, read 111,300 times
Ohs & Observer, classes don't start for another week. This is an orientation before classes begin where they requested that I come in and become familiar with the school and get to know others. It just so happens that they are pushing to get the new library addition organized by opening day.

I wanted to start off on the right foot and make a good impression, so I agreed to help out in the library before classes start.

The problem is I feel completely out of my element wearing this ridiculous uniform for someone my age - especially while spending so much time maneuvering around on the floor with piles of books and boxes.

The hem is virtually impossible to keep down while I am on the floor, and meanwhile, I have two high school boys hanging around me, pretty much loitering over me while I work.

All I wanted was to show people that I can look professional in navy slacks and a white button up top, given it was a Friday and classes aren't even in session yet. Additionally, the male teaching intern gets to wear the same.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:31 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,370,541 times
Welcome to the Catholic life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching