Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 10:09 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,790,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETSUAccountingGuy View Post
J&Em, is that at Food City?

I used to work there when I was 16 and I remember them doing it. Seems like a long time ago. lol
LOL I'm sure it does!

The first place I ever saw someone carded that was clearly a senior citizen was up in NY and I think it was an A&P at the time, and probably 10+ years ago. Here it is both Krogers and Food City, doesn't matter which. It just seems funny to ask for my senior discount and still have to show ID when I pay for the groceries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 09:21 AM

1,285 posts, read 2,358,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
It just seems funny to ask for my senior discount and still have to show ID when I pay for the groceries.
Hilarious! Thanks for my morning laugh.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:19 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,790,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETSUAccountingGuy View Post
Hilarious! Thanks for my morning laugh.

You are welcome. Glad it tickled the funny bone. If we can't learn to laugh at life's absurdities we end up old sourpusses.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:34 PM

701 posts, read 2,031,577 times
It's because the penalties are harsh if you serve underage patrons... You get fired as an employee and the business loses their alcohol serving license. And let's face it, alcohol is a big revenue generator. Why not just cover your butt and check all ID's and then not serve if no ID is present? If you have an ID and are of age, then why even worry about it and question how it's enforced?

Old 11-20-2013, 03:36 PM

701 posts, read 2,031,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Our alcohol laws are heinously stupid and archaic. The entire thing....ENTIRE THING...needs to be restructured.

The people who run the ABC are a bunch of Hitler-worshiping bureaucratic clowns.
You think it's bad here? It wasn't until last year that Washington state could sell liquor outside of state run ABC stores only. ABC stores close at like 8pm and aren't open on Sunday... There are a handful of states that still operate this way.

And yes it's stupid.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:42 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandsGamecock View Post
I lived in Knoxville for three years, from 2005-2008. When I visted Pigeon Forge this weekend, I was reminded of what I consider to be the by far the most odd thing about Tennessee, and that is the sheer obession restaurants, bars and grocery stores have with checking IDs when purchasing alcohol. Where I live, in South Carolina, I rarely, if ever, get carded anymore, because I am 31 years old, and it's obvious that I am not under 21. But in Tenneseee, the waiters and bartenders are under such tremendous pressure to not serve to anyone under 21 that I witnessed them turning down folks who were clearly in their 60's if they don't have an ID with them. I have been told that the state is so strict on bars that if a bartender is caught even one time allowing a fake ID, they are fired, fined $500 and the bar is fined $1500. Is this accurate?

I'm not saying they shouldn't check IDs if the person appears to be in their mid-20's, but it seems that Tennessee has some overly zealous enforcers of this law. I know it's not difficult to show your ID, but come on, when your are CLEARLY of age, why should the waiter have to spend 10 seconds examining your ID, and turn you down from buying a Bud Light if you didn't bring your ID with you. It's borderline badgering, in my opinion. At the Wild Wing Cafe in Knoxville, I had to show my ID at the door, then wear a stupid wristband the whole night. AND I had to show my ID every time I bought a beer (which is pointless if they have already checked my ID at the door.) And I wasn't allowed to buy more than one beer at a time.

I guess attitudes toward alcohol are different in every state, but it's just strange when my 65 year old father is asked for his ID when ordering a glass of wine. What gives? Is this just in East Tennessee, or are they that strict accross the whole state?
If you think Tennessee was bad try heading over to the beach this weekend and just see how tough the Grand Strand, Charleston, and Hilton Head are.

If you are over 21, why do you care?

In South Carolina the person serving the under 21 year old gets arrested AND fined AND the establishment loses their liquor license.

My stepdaughters both worked for SLED as underage purchasers of alcohol.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:49 PM

13 posts, read 35,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
If you think Tennessee was bad try heading over to the beach this weekend and just see how tough the Grand Strand, Charleston, and Hilton Head are.

If you are over 21, why do you care?

In South Carolina the person serving the under 21 year old gets arrested AND fined AND the establishment loses their liquor license.

My stepdaughters both worked for SLED as underage purchasers of alcohol.
Although I am over 21, I care because it is a ridiculous law to begin with to suggest that an 18 year old is mature enough to fight and die for his country in war, but must wait three more years before legally drinking a beer. I thought most states agreed that it is a stupid law, but they have the law on their books so that they qualify for federal highway funding. But apparently some states actually believe that a 20 year old should be put in jail for drinking a beer. I also care because I despise "zero tolerance" policies where human beings are not encouraged to use their own brains, but are encouraged to hide behind blanket policies that require zero human judgment. It's the beginning of the end of human dignity when you tell someone "Don't use your brain. Rely on policy. We won't get sued that way."

Old 11-27-2013, 07:37 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandsGamecock View Post
Although I am over 21, I care because it is a ridiculous law to begin with to suggest that an 18 year old is mature enough to fight and die for his country in war, but must wait three more years before legally drinking a beer. ."
Everyone has been making that same argument since the beginning of time. Here is a news flash for you, in many circumstances 18 year old service men can drink on the military base.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:53 PM

550 posts, read 1,283,288 times
The drinking age should be lowered to 18. If you are mature enough to vote, die in war or have a kid, then you're old enough to have a drink.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:01 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVAunit1981 View Post
The drinking age should be lowered to 18. If you are mature enough to vote, die in war or have a kid, then you're old enough to have a drink.

You do not have to be mature to do any of the things you listed, you only have to be the required chronological age or be fertile and sexually active.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee