Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 11:10 AM

16,079 posts, read 21,163,621 times

Advertisements

I guess it's a case of better safe than sorry.
I recently had a young twenty something co-worker get hit on by a woman in her thirties and overheard him later tell another employee that she "had to have been at least fifty", lol. I think a lot of younger people are very very bad at estimating the ages of other people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 06:20 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,825,845 times
Just moved here 2 mos ago and was wondering why EVERY time I buy beer at Walmart they ask for ID....and I am 54 always shopping with my 56 yr old hubby...but on the flip side they barely look at you at the gas stations and I have NEVER had to show it to those cashiers....alas..no liquor stores in my town...it was the only place out of nine which turned liquor stores and by the drink down on the ballot a few weeks ago...

That same Walmart a year ago I still had my Michigan license and the older woman REFUSED to sell me beer...said my license was expired...it was not....they wouldn't even let hubby show his....we had like $300 worth of paint...caulk..home repair supplies already rung up and she came around my cart and grabbed it like we were under age criminals...I told her to get the manager..he sided with her...I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone....we left.. Went across the street to the gas station..the one where they don't even make eye contact and bought it there...the bottom line is we are in our mid 50s.....THAT was ridiculous...I used my Mich ID there after that one weird shopping trip and it was fine every other time.....I stay out of that woman's line now...

Old 11-16-2014, 07:09 AM

473 posts, read 797,137 times
Different places just do things differently. In St. Louis most places were really lax on id checks. However, Wal-Mart required everyone in your group to show id. So my wife and I would both have to show our id if we wanted to buy any alcohol.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:36 AM

142 posts, read 242,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
Just moved here 2 mos ago and was wondering why EVERY time I buy beer at Walmart they ask for ID....and I am 54 always shopping with my 56 yr old hubby...but on the flip side they barely look at you at the gas stations and I have NEVER had to show it to those cashiers....alas..no liquor stores in my town...it was the only place out of nine which turned liquor stores and by the drink down on the ballot a few weeks ago...

That same Walmart a year ago I still had my Michigan license and the older woman REFUSED to sell me beer...said my license was expired...it was not....they wouldn't even let hubby show his....we had like $300 worth of paint...caulk..home repair supplies already rung up and she came around my cart and grabbed it like we were under age criminals...I told her to get the manager..he sided with her...I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone....we left.. Went across the street to the gas station..the one where they don't even make eye contact and bought it there...the bottom line is we are in our mid 50s.....THAT was ridiculous...I used my Mich ID there after that one weird shopping trip and it was fine every other time.....I stay out of that woman's line now...
Why would being expired even matter? It still shows your age. Bizarre.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:38 AM

142 posts, read 242,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85rx-7gsl-se View Post
Different places just do things differently. In St. Louis most places were really lax on id checks. However, Wal-Mart required everyone in your group to show id. So my wife and I would both have to show our id if we wanted to buy any alcohol.
So if you have your child with you, you can't buy alcohol?

Old 11-17-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by October_Pumpkin View Post
So if you have your child with you, you can't buy alcohol?
I never personally encountered or witnessed that scenario so I cant state for certain. However, my wife and I would both get carded even if buying just one can of beer. I saw many college kids get declined since one person in the group was under 21.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by October_Pumpkin View Post
Why would being expired even matter? It still shows your age. Bizarre.
That too is pretty common. Strange.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:21 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Our liquor stores do not allow even accompanied minors into the liquor store. This was one of the prevailing reasons why many people voted for wine to be in the grocery store. When I walk in, I have my ID at the ready because the first thing I'm asked for is my ID, just walking into the store.

I look well over 21, and I find it kind of silly to be carded at this point, but its what I have to do when I want to buy booze. Even my 70 year old grandmother gets carded when she buys something.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:06 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,475,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
My thoughts? Stop doing this.

Government granteth the beer permit, and government can take it away. If you want to make a profit and survive, follow the law.
My thoughts exactly.

If I recall, the previous law was something along the lines of: if the customer appears 35 or older, you don't have to card them; but if they look younger than 35, card them. Which is common sense, but when the law is subject to personal judgement of someone's age it offers some grey area. Plus, it takes away that indignant factor customers might throw up ("can't you tell I'm 21", etc) because the law is written to card everyone.

I have a favorite wine store I go to and they know me personally. I'm there every week. They still ask (apologetically and with a towards the law), assuming I don't already have my ID out to show them. It doesn't bother me in the least, however.

It will be interesting to see if it does have the intended effect of cutting down on minors being able to buy alcohol. I'd like to think it will, but I suspect it won't...as others have mentioned there are still lots of places that don't even ask. Ideally, it protects both merchants and minors. But only if the merchants follow the law.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:48 PM

16,079 posts, read 21,163,621 times
Our training for our company is that we accept four forms of picture ID and they must be current, expired ID is not considered valid. We can also refuse to sell if we suspect the customer is already intoxicated or if there is any hint that someone is buying for a minor (even if it's your own kid). Our store does go over some various scenarios, so just having a kid with you usually isn't going to get you denied, we look at behaviors too.
TN likes to conduct stings and I'm not willing to potentially risk my stores license and my job, so definitely I go with better safe than sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee