Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 12:12 PM

13 posts, read 35,640 times

Advertisements

I lived in Knoxville for three years, from 2005-2008. When I visted Pigeon Forge this weekend, I was reminded of what I consider to be the by far the most odd thing about Tennessee, and that is the sheer obession restaurants, bars and grocery stores have with checking IDs when purchasing alcohol. Where I live, in South Carolina, I rarely, if ever, get carded anymore, because I am 31 years old, and it's obvious that I am not under 21. But in Tenneseee, the waiters and bartenders are under such tremendous pressure to not serve to anyone under 21 that I witnessed them turning down folks who were clearly in their 60's if they don't have an ID with them. I have been told that the state is so strict on bars that if a bartender is caught even one time allowing a fake ID, they are fired, fined $500 and the bar is fined $1500. Is this accurate?

I'm not saying they shouldn't check IDs if the person appears to be in their mid-20's, but it seems that Tennessee has some overly zealous enforcers of this law. I know it's not difficult to show your ID, but come on, when your are CLEARLY of age, why should the waiter have to spend 10 seconds examining your ID, and turn you down from buying a Bud Light if you didn't bring your ID with you. It's borderline badgering, in my opinion. At the Wild Wing Cafe in Knoxville, I had to show my ID at the door, then wear a stupid wristband the whole night. AND I had to show my ID every time I bought a beer (which is pointless if they have already checked my ID at the door.) And I wasn't allowed to buy more than one beer at a time.

I guess attitudes toward alcohol are different in every state, but it's just strange when my 65 year old father is asked for his ID when ordering a glass of wine. What gives? Is this just in East Tennessee, or are they that strict accross the whole state?

Last edited by WoodlandsGamecock; 11-15-2013 at 12:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 01:50 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,720,623 times
I am +50 and I know I don't look my age, but I get checked always at concerts, the Titans games, going into a bar (sometimes). Not so much at restaurants. Moved to Nashville from California and the alcohol laws/taxes in TN are whacked.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:35 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Tennessee was the first state to make universal carding mandatory.

It eliminates the need for clerks to try to guess how old people are, and it makes it easier for stores to comply.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:28 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,357,007 times
Its better to have one easy guideline to follow for every person.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:59 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,332,110 times
Our alcohol laws are heinously stupid and archaic. The entire thing....ENTIRE THING...needs to be restructured.

The people who run the ABC are a bunch of Hitler-worshiping bureaucratic clowns.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:36 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
I'm 27 and get carded everywhere I'm not personally known, but I find the carding to be no more intensive than any other state I've been in. Yes, it's silly to card my grandfather, but it's for legal compliance. I'm not going to fault the store clerk or bartender for just complying with the letter of the law.

I do agree that the alcohol laws are a mess. I like craft beer and am forced to shop at a package store to get what I like. Markup is awfully high and grocery stores can't even sell wine. It's not a major issue for the state, but does turn off a lot of people.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:16 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,742,391 times
If the place you are buying has ever been busted for serving minors, they are going to card everyone.

We were always told if a person looks older than 35 it was ok to give them a pass. (Starwood)

Old 11-16-2013, 05:17 AM

712 posts, read 1,488,007 times
I believe the laws are great. Everyone should be checked no matter how old. I am pretty liberal on alcohol laws, I believe that alcohol should be allowed on college campuses, in any city sponsored events, etc. And I also think that the concept of a "dry county" is stupid and increases DUI. At the same time, I believe that underage drinking should be strictly enforced, and the hassle of making someone show their ID is well worth the benefit of reducing underage drinking.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:33 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,784,754 times
It is not something that just occurs in TN. Before we moved here we had exactly the same carding at the supermarket where I lived in NY, a state considered far more "progressive" for alcohol use.

This started back at least a decade ago. The first time I saw the all or nothing practice was when very young cashier had to check the ID of a gentleman who did not look a day younger than 80! It's an extension of the no judgement required mentality that is used in schools and government all over the country.

The silliest aspect for me is that when I buy beer at the supermarket the manager has to come over to do the ID check, apparently if the checkout operator is younger than 21 they aren't allowed to verify you are old enough to buy alcohol.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:53 AM

1,285 posts, read 2,357,007 times
J&Em, is that at Food City?

I used to work there when I was 16 and I remember them doing it. Seems like a long time ago. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee