Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 07:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,784 times

Advertisements

Nashville native here! I love Nashville. The music scene is so vital! People with incredible talent gravitate here to hone their craft, soak up the influences and network no matter what their genre. The restaurant offerings have exploded and the free and low-cost things to do are overwhelming. Green spaces galore and, being a dog owner I love that the parks here are pet friendly. I really figured all Tennessee parks allowed dogs but on a stop in Chattanooga, I found out this wasn't the case and we had a tough time locating a spot where we could enjoy ourselves and have our pup along for the fun. You're only a few hours down the road from Chattanooga, Atlanta and Gatlinburg - so visiting isn't a big deal. But living there? Fugeddaboudit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 01:34 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeli524 View Post
I haven't ruled out Knoxville. I don't know much about it actually I'll do my research. Are there any parts of Nashville or chatanooga to avoid when browsing go apartments? Is it hard to find a pet friendly place? I have a 4 year old beagle mix. I could get my job back at home if need be. I planned to apply to many places, explain my current thought on moving and wherever I decided to go I plan to have interviews set up for my arrival and some money to fall back on.

Knoxville is much smaller than Nashville, a little bit larger than Chattanooga. Knoxville has the same Appalachian environment that Chattanooga has, and we are pretty close to the Smoky mountain NP. If you are into outdoor stuff we are close to a lot of it. The 6000 foot peaks are visible from many places here in the Knoxville area, even though they are 20 miles away. You say that you work as a server, and that makes me think you should investigate the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area. (40 minutes from Knoxville) There is so many restaurants there to serve the huge tourist industry there, they are always looking for help in that area. There are also a lot of server jobs in Knoxville itself, but there are really a lot of them in the tourist areas of Pigeon Forge. I also agree with other posters about a blind move, you really need to come down here and visit. Its always good to know what your getting into, and if you do like it here then a visit will help you choose the best place for you in our state. Good luck.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:27 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Knoxville is much smaller than Nashville, a little bit larger than Chattanooga. Knoxville has the same Appalachian environment that Chattanooga has, and we are pretty close to the Smoky mountain NP. If you are into outdoor stuff we are close to a lot of it. The 6000 foot peaks are visible from many places here in the Knoxville area, even though they are 20 miles away. You say that you work as a server, and that makes me think you should investigate the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area. (40 minutes from Knoxville) There is so many restaurants there to serve the huge tourist industry there, they are always looking for help in that area. There are also a lot of server jobs in Knoxville itself, but there are really a lot of them in the tourist areas of Pigeon Forge. I also agree with other posters about a blind move, you really need to come down here and visit. Its always good to know what your getting into, and if you do like it here then a visit will help you choose the best place for you in our state. Good luck.
I generally don't care for server jobs in tourist areas, SOME folks don't tip as well because they think they'll never see the server again. But the biggest issue is there are not a lot of high-end restaurants in that area, so the tips will be much lower. That may be why a lot of the businesses get their staff from Russia. Best bet for a job would be Blackberry Farm, but I imagine that would extremely difficult to get into.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:26 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I generally don't care for server jobs in tourist areas, SOME folks don't tip as well because they think they'll never see the server again. But the biggest issue is there are not a lot of high-end restaurants in that area, so the tips will be much lower. That may be why a lot of the businesses get their staff from Russia. Best bet for a job would be Blackberry Farm, but I imagine that would extremely difficult to get into.
I did not think of that, but your right some tourist can be cheap tippers. There really is never an excuse to short change a server who depends on that tip income, but there is nothing you can do about cheapskates. Twenty percent is the standard in a decent restaurant, but I have see people leave 3 or 4 dollars when you know they ran up a 50 dollar bill. These folks need to have more respect for the hard working people who serve them when they go out for supper.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,045 times
We live outside of Nashville and like both it and Chattanooga. There are a lot of starving musicians in Nashville waiting on tables. It's definintely a foodie town tho and you see lot of tourists and travelers. Chattanooga is more laid-back and southern-style, but it's a quick run down to Atlanta, which is REALLY a foodie town.
Both are great - but make sure you have a job and a place to land first ... Nashville is used to folks wanting to break into the music biz and aren't going to be paying top dollar.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:43 PM

50 posts, read 106,119 times
Before you do anything I would try Airbnb and stay in both cities but stay in the neighborhoods you are interested in. This tells the tale.

I am from Chattanooga but have been in Atlanta for many moons. I have fallen in love with Memphis after working and traveling here for many years but never really got it until I stayed outside of the hotel area here. Yep moving here soon.

For Chattanooga try north Chattanooga or some of the hipper spots. I think you will like it. Not as familiar with Nashville

Old 08-16-2014, 03:25 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,578,673 times
Just stay with either west Nashville, or North Chattanooga and you'll be fine... Lots of area's in both cities that I would not want to move.... Check out both online and pick the one that interest you the most.....
Best of luck

Old 01-05-2016, 08:17 AM

193 posts, read 512,511 times
Default Nashville or Chattanooga?

This post may have been mentioned previously but I've been off the forum for YEARS. We currently live in TN and as much as I'd like to move elsewhere, I think this will be our home state. That being said, I want to move closer to a city and looking at either Nashville or Chattanooga (surrounding cities). I don't want to make another mistake of being miserable where I'm living so for those who live in TN wondering what your thoughts on both places. My husband is retired and I will be retiring soon so employment is not an issue. Thanks for any input.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:40 PM

249 posts, read 659,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluver View Post
This post may have been mentioned previously but I've been off the forum for YEARS. We currently live in TN and as much as I'd like to move elsewhere, I think this will be our home state. That being said, I want to move closer to a city and looking at either Nashville or Chattanooga (surrounding cities). I don't want to make another mistake of being miserable where I'm living so for those who live in TN wondering what your thoughts on both places. My husband is retired and I will be retiring soon so employment is not an issue. Thanks for any input.
What makes you miserable in Sparta? That way we have something to go off with advice.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:01 AM

193 posts, read 512,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithps View Post
What makes you miserable in Sparta? That way we have something to go off with advice.

There is nothing to do here and people do not like "outsiders". The way of life in the south is totally different from up north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee