Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 10:18 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Yes this is very troubling. But let's say I live in Maryville and have an emergency. How do I get out of the local hospital and transferred to Knoxville once I am stabalized? How exactly do you go about doing that?
That is the subject for another thread and one that really isn't a local forum topic. There are protocols in place for what you describe.

By and large, hospitals in both areas do work together to treat what is in their scope and transfer out what is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 09:24 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
I don't understand the constant back and forth on the health point.

If you're looking at county or community hospitals, I don't know why someone would expect extremely sophisticated treatment to be available at a local hospital in an outlying, sparsely populated county. I would not move to, say, Fentress County, and expect a specialized cancer treatment facility. You're not going to get that there. There are multiple issues at play - payments back to providers, ability to attract and retain talent, pay for the talent, how often/much the facility gets utilized, the ability of the hospital to simply break even, regulatory issues, bureaucratic bloat, etc. I see the business side of this every day and it is a real hornet's nest.

Here's a nugget for those not familiar with east TN healthcare. The majority of the hospitals in east TN are not even breaking even. I doubt the dynamics are much different for the Knoxville based health systems - there will be a few profitable hospitals in the urban core, affluent areas, and the flagships. The rest of the hospitals, mostly smaller community hospitals in poor areas, a numerical majority, will lose money. I'm not going to go into detail beyond that, but it's safe to say that small, community hospitals are basically being kept afloat by profitable hospitals in the population centers. You might have one profitable hospital in a city keeping three community hospitals in outlying areas going. I'd say you'll find the same scenario around the country.

You can also have extremely variable outcomes within the same system - whether by speciality or by facility. My girlfriend has received poor care at one local hospital. I've had other situations personally with that hospital where I wouldn't send a dog to it. However, I've had family and friends receive great care at a hospital in the same system, one town over. Cardiology is well-represented here in the Sri-Cities. Rheumatology - not so much.

You also need to compare apples to apples. It is not fair to compare Johnson City - a relatively isolated metro of <200,000, with no major teaching/university hospital, to metro Knoxville, which is close to four times the population of Johnson City, with the state flagship university. I'm far from happy with the healthcare here, but I don't think it's going to be a lot better in metros of comparable dynamics.

If you're a transplant looking at any given area and you have a medical concern, the best thing you can do is to contact the medical systems in that local area and explain your needs and concerns.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:40 PM

SC - you don't have to understand it. This is a relocation forum and people can ask what they want about an area. People come as they are and it is all ok. We are here to help everyone understand the lay of the land. Thanks for your help, and for everyones posts, in assisting everyone in learning more about the area.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:49 PM

46 posts, read 76,180 times
Default Just listening is a great trait..................

Actually, as usual, I thought Serious did an excellent job, describing the health care industry in East TN.
At his age, I doubt very much if health care concerns and questions are very high on his life list,[well, at least not where it might pertain directly to him anyway] I'm sure when I was in my early 30's it wasn't on my top 10 list of things to be concerned about either, which is normal at that age.
So, at his age, I can definitely also understand why he might feel a bit perplexed over the seemingly constant concern over health care issues, that folks relocating to the area might have.

Years ago someone told me, "you know, some folks you come across, just require an extra measure of mercy"..................
And to that, I say, Amen & Amen !!!!!

Old 06-12-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonegirl49 View Post
Actually, as usual, I thought Serious did an excellent job, describing the health care industry in East TN.
At his age, I doubt very much if health care concerns and questions are very high on his life list,[well, at least not where it might pertain directly to him anyway] I'm sure when I was in my early 30's it wasn't on my top 10 list of things to be concerned about either, which is normal at that age.
So, at his age, I can definitely also understand why he might feel a bit perplexed over the seemingly constant concern over health care issues, that folks relocating to the area might have.

Years ago someone told me, "you know, some folks you come across, just require an extra measure of mercy"..................
And to that, I say, Amen & Amen !!!!!
Gone girl, are you still entertaining a move to TN? I looked at your other posts and it seems that KY might be on your radar now.

Old 06-12-2018, 05:49 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Take a look at Maryville, with the Univ. of TN Medical Center. A level one Trauma Center.

I'd also be looking into areas near Winston-Salem, NC if healthcare is of primary importance.

If you love mountains, then investigate Hendersonville, NC -- excellent healthcare centers.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:42 PM

Default Still movin' to TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Gone girl, are you still entertaining a move to TN? I looked at your other posts and it seems that KY might be on your radar now.
Nope, still movin to TN . I really wanted JC, but houses in my price range are few and far between there, so settled on Knoxville or Maryville, but, not a lot in my range in Maryville either, so it'll probably be Knoxville after all.

Old 06-13-2018, 03:38 PM

16,279 posts, read 10,418,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Take a look at Maryville, with the Univ. of TN Medical Center. A level one Trauma Center.

I'd also be looking into areas near Winston-Salem, NC if healthcare is of primary importance.

If you love mountains, then investigate Hendersonville, NC -- excellent healthcare centers.
Hey there QC, remember me?

gonegirl: I'm sorry if I missed it but are you saying housing prices are higher in JC than Knox/Maryville? I sure didn't see that in the price range we are looking at ($140-$165,000)

Old 06-13-2018, 08:22 PM

Wink Housing costs in JC vs. Knoxville vs Maryville TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Hey there QC, remember me?

gonegirl: I'm sorry if I missed it but are you saying housing prices are higher in JC than Knox/Maryville? I sure didn't see that in the price range we are looking at ($140-$165,000)
Hi Dave,
When I was looking in JC at $140,000 I really couldn't find any decent housing for that price, and what was there was very limited. And, I didn't want to go to a condo there, which may have been the route I would have had to go in JC.
Many more options for me, price-wise in Knoxville. Than of course there is the health care issue, being better in Knoxville [shhhh, don't let SC know I brought "health-care up" that up !!!] for those of us with existing conditions.
With 100 being average in the US:
JC = 73, or !3.3% higher than Knoxville, which comes in at 63
Maryville = 83 or 12.5% higher then JC
Maryville housing costs are 23% higher than Knoxville

Old 06-14-2018, 04:16 AM

16,279 posts, read 10,418,527 times
Interesting. When I looked at JC a few years ago I seem to recall seeing several good homes in that price range. Also not happy to see the difference between Maryville and Knoxville. We're off for our first visit in a few weeks and anticipate Maryville as being our first choice. I did find housing and property taxes in Oak Ridge to be high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee