Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 10:22 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,129,942 times

Advertisements

Interesting insight on how Tesla's Japanese competitors feel about the technology Elon has brought to the market.
"One stunned engineer from a major Japanese automaker examined the computer and declared, "We cannot do it.""

"Industry insiders expect such technology to take hold around 2025 at the earliest. That means Tesla beat its rivals by six years."
- https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Aut...Toyota-and-VW2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2020, 11:36 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,693,981 times
I figure they will decide I'm too old to drive in about 15 years. It sounds like I don't have anything to worry about. It bothered my mother that as she aged into her 90s she could no longer just hop in the car and go.

Designing a chip optimized for vehicle control is what happens when you listen to your engineers. I'm going to have to check on what the "AI" designation means. How good is it at learning and evaluating situations that are not in its learning tree?

Old 02-18-2020, 12:41 AM

1,950 posts, read 1,129,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I figure they will decide I'm too old to drive in about 15 years. It sounds like I don't have anything to worry about. It bothered my mother that as she aged into her 90s she could no longer just hop in the car and go.

Designing a chip optimized for vehicle control is what happens when you listen to your engineers. I'm going to have to check on what the "AI" designation means. How good is it at learning and evaluating situations that are not in its learning tree?
Well, AI is just a very small part of it. And I'd hope that the AI isn't using a learning tree... this isn't the 1980s AI of decision trees.

But yea, AI is not really the critical point here. This is a massive change... one that has Japanese manufacturers feeling obsolete in some aspects.

Old 02-18-2020, 01:20 AM

30,390 posts, read 19,184,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
Interesting insight on how Tesla's Japanese competitors feel about the technology Elon has brought to the market.
"One stunned engineer from a major Japanese automaker examined the computer and declared, "We cannot do it.""

"Industry insiders expect such technology to take hold around 2025 at the earliest. That means Tesla beat its rivals by six years."
Because Japanese companies usually copy US and European technology, they are in trouble because if it takes them 6 years to copy what Tesla has done, by then Tesla will be another 6+ years ahead.

Right now Tesla is hitting on all cylinders(metaphorically). After driving a Tesla, you want one or maybe 2 of them.

Old 02-18-2020, 05:10 AM

12,475 posts, read 9,560,412 times
'
Quote:

Yes, here's an informed appraisal of another aspect, the efficiency of their motors and the energy transduction: "An executive for Volvo’s Polestar candidly admitted that 'Tesla is far ahead of everyone else on energy efficiency' and they are going to have to catch up or find other ways to compete."
https://electrek.co/2019/09/11/volvo...gy-efficiency/

Tesla isn't a perfect company and they don't make perfect vehicles. But they are the real deal, they have genuinely been making big innovations in a range of vehicle and manufacturing technologies. There were many predictions that established automakers would blow past them, but the big automakers that have been around far longer, are struggling just to match the Tesla offerings, let alone surpass them.

Old 02-18-2020, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post

I am 60yo now, drive okay today, namely because I take it more seriously and more cautiously than when I was younger. I don't feel that autonomous driving systems are ready for general use today. But they're obviously making great progress. I too hope that developments in self-driving vehicles over the next 10-15 years will extend my independence. Today, I can tell Siri to plot my course in the GPS and give me turn-by-turn directions. Maybe in 10 years, I can tell the car to not only plot the course, and give directions, but chauffeur me there too :-). Many companies are working feverishly to bring these capabilities to fruition sooner than that, but I won't be an early adopter.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 02-18-2020 at 05:51 AM..

Old 02-18-2020, 05:54 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,625,231 times
Quote:
[indent]"One stunned engineer from a major Japanese automaker examined the computer and declared, "We cannot do it.""

People needs to understand how the auto industry works. Automotive suppliers, not automotive companies, provide the components that make vehicles function. All any auto company has to do is buy the electronics from the same supplier Tesla does.

Old 02-18-2020, 05:58 AM

30,390 posts, read 19,184,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
People needs to understand how the auto industry works. Automotive suppliers, not automotive companies, provide the components that make vehicles function. All any auto company has to do is buy the electronics from the same supplier Tesla does.
IN that case, all any auto company would have to do is get Tesla to supply them the components they need to compete with Tesla....since Tesla develops most of their products in house.

Old 02-18-2020, 06:06 AM

9,887 posts, read 7,223,915 times
The gist of the article isn't that "we can't do that." It's more "we can't do that under the traditional development processess."

As noted below, automakers rely heavily on outside suppliers to supply systems that they assemble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
True except Tesla doesn't buy electronics from outside suppliers. Tesla develops their own in house and have someone else manufacture it for them.

Old 02-18-2020, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
The gist of the article isn't that "we can't do that." It's more "we can't do that under the traditional development processess."

As noted below, automakers rely heavily on outside suppliers to supply systems that they assemble.

True except Tesla doesn't buy electronics from outside suppliers. Tesla develops their own in house and have someone else manufacture it for them.
Exactly right, if you read through the whole article, they explain that Tesla is developing many of it's *own* proprietary components that are more advanced than what are available on the commercial supply chain. Further, they say that it's the tight relationships that have been formed between traditional automakers and their suppliers, that many automakers will feel obligated to stay loyal to, that actually holds them back. They go on to suggest that breaking free of this model may be the only way for established automakers to close the gap. After all, Tesla is not only ahead, they're not sitting still, either, they're moving forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla