Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 06:18 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,625,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
since Tesla develops most of their products in house.
No they do not. The auto suppliers supplying GM/Ford/FCA are the same ones supplying Tesla.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2020, 06:48 AM

1,950 posts, read 1,129,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
People needs to understand how the auto industry works. Automotive suppliers, not automotive companies, provide the components that make vehicles function. All any auto company has to do is buy the electronics from the same supplier Tesla does.
Why do you think that Tesla will sell parts to other automotive companies? YOU need to understand how the auto industry works, it seems. This isn't like Toyota lending technology to another Japanese manufacturer. Tesla isn't going to start manufacturing parts for other companies. They might provide free use of the patents, but their competitive edge IS manufacturing.

Old 02-18-2020, 06:51 AM

12,477 posts, read 9,560,412 times
Quote:
No they do not. The auto suppliers supplying GM/Ford/FCA are the same ones supplying Tesla.
You may want to read the full article.

Old 02-18-2020, 06:52 AM

1,950 posts, read 1,129,942 times
Quote:
Not even close. You should actually read the article.

Old 02-18-2020, 07:11 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,244,443 times
Quote:

You are completely wrong. If you don't know what you are talking about, just don't post. It's that simple.

Old 02-18-2020, 09:14 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,152,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I am 60yo now, drive okay today, namely because I take it more seriously and more cautiously than when I was younger. I don't feel that autonomous driving systems are ready for general use today. But they're obviously making great progress. I too hope that developments in self-driving vehicles over the next 10-15 years will extend my independence. Today, I can tell Siri to plot my course in the GPS and give me turn-by-turn directions. Maybe in 10 years, I can tell the car to not only plot the course, and give directions, but chauffeur me there too :-). Many companies are working feverishly to bring these capabilities to fruition sooner than that, but I won't be an early adopter.
So This will be a funny day, if it hasn't happened already (not that I've heard of):

Outdoor drives eCar to pal's BBQ. Outdoor enjoys outdoors and has a few wienies, and a beer or two. Or three. Hey: is that Bushmill's?

So heeey! Few more and he's got a good buzz on, but it's time to split and getting dark. Bugs are coming out. Mmkay, he staggers to the new 2029 Chauffeur Especial that got him here, w/full electronics package cause hey: why not? He's in the bag, but like most can focus on one (1) task pretty well. So the car unlocks itself, and he leans in and sits. Belt on, even. Then he focuses on the panel: "Autodrive...Return to Home...Full Auto...depart (Now)...go." 5...4...3...2...1: car gentle pulls out on its own, off it goes Home.

Outdoor is beat, looks up a second, then pretty much passes out. He's happy, lightly snoring.

Miles later, Chauffeur Especial pulls into his driveway, chimes, opens door, and otherwise indicates "Home!" Doesn't fully shut down, door is open, but goes into a Standby mode.

Local PD, on burglary patrol, happens to drive by seconds later. Yep, that timing happens. They're PD, and curious: two of them pull in the driveway as this looks a bit "weird" (doors open, slumped figure, mid-evening dark, no movement).

PD notices buckled in driver, smells like Old Milwaukee and shots of whiskey, notes car is...doing not much.

Outdoor wakes up with a little help from PD, disoriented. "Were you driving..."Yessh, sort-of!"...."field sobriety!.... and he blows a .15 .

Anyone guilty of anything here? Burden of proof is on...(the State, of course, but in this case...?)

Old 02-18-2020, 09:28 AM

1,499 posts, read 1,674,386 times
The headline misunderstands a lot. It's just a computer, not some magical technology. You could build a more powerful one with no issues today. The AI is pretty good, but that's all software, and there are a few non-Tesla non-car companies that are developing similar stuff which is sooner than 6 years away. It's just a licensing deal away. And the six year thing is a misunderstanding too - it's when the tech is expected to take hold, not be introduced. Any technology that isn't limited by physical things is really only a couple of years away from scratch. I think the other car companies are just being cautious right now, letting Tesla test the market before they invest too heavily themselves. I think we need a bit more context around the remark that the Japanese engineer said about not being able to do it. Design it? Make it? Sell it?

Yes, Tesla is ahead of the rest of the market, but not six years. They are also willing to take the most risks, which is another advantage the older companies don't have.

Old 02-18-2020, 09:28 AM

30,390 posts, read 19,184,321 times
Quote:
They may but some parts from the same companies that others are using but the key parts that give them a giant edge over all of their competititors were designed and built by Tesla....if that were not the case, all the other manufacturers would be getting over 300 miles range and have double their current efficiency.

Old 02-18-2020, 09:34 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,427,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
Why do you think that Tesla will sell parts to other automotive companies? YOU need to understand how the auto industry works, it seems. This isn't like Toyota lending technology to another Japanese manufacturer. Tesla isn't going to start manufacturing parts for other companies. They might provide free use of the patents, but their competitive edge IS manufacturing.
AMC did they used General Motors-built 2.8 L in the early 80’ until Chrysler bought JEEP.

Old 02-18-2020, 09:38 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times
Well, as investors think among with others, Tesla is tech company that builds cars, lol. I know it is almost semantics, but there is a bit of real difference, which investors over the years have pounced on, and forgiven in this regards. So it would be expected Tesla would exceed automotive manufacturers in this area. It would actually be rather disappointing and troubling if they did not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla