Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 11:33 PM

1,070 posts, read 787,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
Interesting insight on how Tesla's Japanese competitors feel about the technology Elon has brought to the market.
"One stunned engineer from a major Japanese automaker examined the computer and declared, "We cannot do it.""

"Industry insiders expect such technology to take hold around 2025 at the earliest. That means Tesla beat its rivals by six years."
- https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Aut...Toyota-and-VW2

It's a very big world and every innovation by an innovator rides on the back of a previous innovators innovation. Tesla's are being dissected by the hundreds around the world as this thread discusses Tesla's innovations.

The new world of computer technology has brought a 1000 fold competition which did not exist even 50 years ago. I'm sure a PhD in in reverse engineering is offered at quite a number of colleges today.

https://www.embibe.com/exams/top-10-...ost-engineers/
Attached Thumbnails
Tesla teardown finds electronics 6 years ahead of Toyota and VW-engineering-grads-country.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2020, 11:45 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,129,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corolla5speed View Post
It's a very big world and every innovation by an innovator rides on the back of a previous innovators innovation. Tesla's are being dissected by the hundreds around the world as this thread discusses Tesla's innovations.

The new world of computer technology has brought a 1000 fold competition which did not exist even 50 years ago. I'm sure a PhD in in reverse engineering is offered at quite a number of colleges today.

https://www.embibe.com/exams/top-10-...ost-engineers/
Reverse engineer a supply chain and manufacturing plant? If you need a PhD to do that, god help you. It's not rocket science. Tesla's advantage was that they got to start from scratch... not anything that needs to be reverse engineered in their manufacturing process.

Old 02-19-2020, 03:52 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,625,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
You are completely wrong. If you don't know what you are talking about, just don't post. It's that simple.
When I have meetings with suppliers and they tell me they are working on tesla vehicle programs, it must be an illusion.

Old 02-19-2020, 05:10 AM

12,475 posts, read 9,560,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
When I have meetings with suppliers and they tell me they are working on tesla vehicle programs, it must be an illusion.
The article didn't say that Tesla makes *everything* in-house, from scratch. It may be that Tesla sources most components from the conventional commercial supply chain, but identifies strategic areas where that supply chain cannot provide components that are up to the level that Tesla deems is necessary (e.g. electronic/computing components), and here they go off the supply chain and build their own.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 02-19-2020 at 05:55 AM..

Old 02-19-2020, 07:48 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
You're not understanding the article at all.
Again, I understand perfectly well. It is tech developed by Tesla allowing this, tech that other companies do not have. Not understanding why you are not understanding thus.

Yea, it is not a tech hurdle that is impossible to overcome, just it will take a few years, just as the OP stated.

If Apple develops a widget that reduces it's supply chain by half over Samsung, and it will take Samsung a few years to match, that it Apple being ahead of Samsung in this area of tech.

Tesla is a tech company, they improved and area of tech they are proficient at, they did not develop a new axle, bearing, etc. Just as if BMW is ever successful at developing it's carbon fiber production, that will rattle the supply market also and they will be well ahead of other companies in thus area.

Old 02-19-2020, 07:52 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times
Quote:
Reverse engineer a supply chain and manufacturing plant? If you need a PhD to do that, god help you. It's not rocket science. Tesla's advantage was that they got to start from scratch... not anything that needs to be reverse engineered in their manufacturing process.
You are not understanding, the supply chain and manufacturing process improvements are due to innovation by way of the electronic components they created that other companies have not created, and said it will be a few years before they can create and put in place.

To be able to do this, you have to know what exactly Tesla created, your article was pretty clear about this, it is even the title of your thread.

Old 02-19-2020, 08:45 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Quote:
Building an EV is actually not hard at all. There are dozens of companies in China building EVs and succeeded but few will get traction without a nameplate. Even Dyson was supposed to build an EV but pulled out because they don't have the financial backing to build an ecosystem around it.

Which is why I still believe that Apple will build their own EV. The have the manufacturing experience to do it and EV is simply a bigger iPhone with moving parts. They don't want to be forced to pay a ransom by Tesla if they are forced to license integration with Tesla's onboard system. Tesla will have their own app store and who knows they may come out with their own Android phone. Elon has been building an ecosystem around the Tesla brand.

Old 02-19-2020, 10:06 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,556,387 times
Listening this guy Tesla seems to be pretty shady

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t3uxZQh-r0

Old 02-19-2020, 10:48 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,560,991 times
Toyota and VW 6 years behind, eh?

Can’t remember the last time I saw a Golf or Camry just explode into a ball of fire for no apparent reason...

If I sound like a Tesla “hater” - that’s because I’m just about “there”.

I like my toast dry, and my coffee black. No avocado, no venti swirl mochachokabullsh...

Old 02-19-2020, 11:13 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,192,804 times
One stunned engineer from a major Japanese automaker examined the computer and declared, "We cannot do it."
So it more or less based on what one engineer said. Ok.

Waymo, GM Cruise (GM and Honda) and Argo (Ford, VW) are considered the leaders in autonomous vehicles and self-driving cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla