Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2020, 05:46 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,427,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
OK - here is a few Golfs - https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...fire&FORM=IGRE
VW recall for fire risk https://citizensreport.org/2015/01/0...ay-catch-fire/

Toyota Camry recalls https://abc13.com/1043601/ or https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/toy...fire-risk.html

When a Tesla catches fire it is news, when a ICE catches fire, just another car. More ICE cars catch fire than EVs.
How many ICE vehicles on the road compared to EV’s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2020, 02:49 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,382,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
This is way off topic but - The question should be how many ICE vehicle fires compared to EVs. From https://insideevs.com/news/341441/ar...-engined-cars/

Quote:
Battery fires are scary but they get lots of press attention precisely because the are still relatively rare. Gasoline car fires are enormously frequent yet get almost no national news. According to the National Fire Prevention Association, in 2015, there were 174,000 gasoline fires in vehicles.
A study done by NTSB concluded that probably less risk of fire in an EV than ICE vehicle but did not quantify because they felt there was not enough data. An analysis done by Tesla that attempted to quantify the risk concluded that ICE was about 11x more likely than a Tesla to catch fire when evaluated based on miles driven.

Last edited by ddeemo; 02-21-2020 at 03:15 AM..

Old 02-21-2020, 06:20 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,327,675 times
Quote:

Doesn't matter when the RATE for EV fires is so much lower, too. Simply put if you have one of each, you're more likely to have a fire in the gasoline car than the EV.

Old 02-21-2020, 06:44 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,427,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Doesn't matter when the RATE for EV fires is so much lower, too. Simply put if you have one of each, you're more likely to have a fire in the gasoline car than the EV.
And you’re point is, still people don’t buy a vehicle based on if it’s going to catch on fire. Planes also cause more deaths in a crash than trains also.

Last edited by easy62; 02-21-2020 at 07:18 AM..

Old 02-21-2020, 07:43 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,327,675 times
Quote:
And you’re point is, still people don’t buy a vehicle based on if it’s going to catch on fire. Planes also cause more deaths in a crash than trains also.

*I* look at fires, as I said, I was a passenger in a car that exploded and burned to the ground nearly taking me with it. I got third degree burns over both legs and the side of my face and spent 6 months in a wheelchair while my legs recovered.

But to that point, people make a BIG DEAL out of rare EV fires and don't think twice about the 170,000 gasoline car fires that happen every year, so it's HYPOCRITICAL and I'm going to point it out every time it comes up!

Old 02-21-2020, 10:42 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,931,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
Interesting insight on how Tesla's Japanese competitors feel about the technology Elon has brought to the market.
"One stunned engineer from a major Japanese automaker examined the computer and declared, "We cannot do it.""

"Industry insiders expect such technology to take hold around 2025 at the earliest. That means Tesla beat its rivals by six years."
- https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Aut...Toyota-and-VW2
This is not too surprising, because all of the existing OEMs use evolutionary designs that are outgrowths or brush-ups of existing designs. Tesla started from scratch not too long ago, so for today they have the edge. The downside for Tesla is that they are also doing the beta testing for these new technologies.

Reality is that over time, Tesla will gradually become like the other OEMs. They too will be building on their old designs and incrementally improving them for the next design release. They will not maintain this edge forever, since the other OEMs will copy their designs and implement them at opportunity.

Old 02-21-2020, 12:56 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,215,130 times
Default Conspircy Theory

Quote:
Interesting insight on how Tesla's Japanese competitors feel about the technology Elon has brought to the market.
"One stunned engineer from a major Japanese automaker examined the computer and declared, "We cannot do it.""

"Industry insiders expect such technology to take hold around 2025 at the earliest. That means Tesla beat its rivals by six years."

I don't believe the earth is flat, there are ghosts or in UFOs but I do believe that some inventions, patented or not, that have been suppressed.

Now and then one invention will surface in the news but vanish. I know the auto makers or is it the oil interests? purchased all the interurban (city to city) street car companies (Roger Rabbit) to encourage car ownership of gasoline fueled buggies.

(

Think of all the R&D and investment that was diverted. Though the interstate highway system would have killed off electric cars one way or the other.)

Old 02-24-2020, 10:20 AM

1,226 posts, read 1,054,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
This is not too surprising, because all of the existing OEMs use evolutionary designs that are outgrowths or brush-ups of existing designs. Tesla started from scratch not too long ago, so for today they have the edge. The downside for Tesla is that they are also doing the beta testing for these new technologies.

Reality is that over time, Tesla will gradually become like the other OEMs. They too will be building on their old designs and incrementally improving them for the next design release. They will not maintain this edge forever, since the other OEMs will copy their designs and implement them at opportunity.
I agree and that's where I see things headed eventually. While auto companies compete with each other, they also indirectly rely on each other to beta test new technologies and new designs. I had a friend who worked for GM and she said that for their higher end cars, they use some of the same suppliers as other luxury brands like BMW (leather trim, wood accents, etc).

Tesla is a novel concept for now but eventually it'll be like the other OEMS, or the other OEMS will be more like Tesla, or they will all meet at some point in between.

I always like to point out that there really is no "bad car" these days. Disruptors help the market. In 1989 Lexus was a wakeup call for MBZ and BMW and in the long run it helped them improve rather than hurt them.

Old 02-24-2020, 12:56 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,556,387 times
20 cars with the highest Chances to catch fire. Guess whose #1

https://www.hotcars.com/20-cars-with...ching-on-fire/

I really thought the Fisker Karma's would be higher on the list considering...
After watching a number of negative YouTube Videos on, "Tesla owners having to jump through hoops just to get simple repairs done" it makes me question their whole business model.

I won't start on the tax credits, that deserves its own thread.

Quote:
Tesla spends $1 million annually on Washington lobbyists. Its cars are financed by over $280 million in federal tax incentives, including a $7,500 federal tax break and millions more in state rebates and development fees. SpaceX has also received over $5 billion in government support.

Old 02-24-2020, 02:16 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,742 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:

This is no surprise to this USA based design engineer.
Design by innovation vs, design by committee / (corp drag) and the ability to release an innovative mechanical product (risk), vs having the reputation risk of a few million units / yr sales WW.

Trust me... The Japanese, Germans, and Chinese have already 'done-it' (once they got their hands on an Tesla teardown (several years ago)). Their companies will not allow them to release it, but they are coming up to speed quickly.

Several friends have had Tesla's since Day One (available). They are fine, but risky for Toyota / VW buyers. One friend has made several Prius EV's (for last 10 yrs).

Tesla may lead the innovation in EV, as they have the balls to do it. Or... they may get neutered as happens to innovation leaders within Big Corp environment. All our managers got sent to a weekend beach retreat before taking the reins. They came back speaking very high pitched and never again had the same 'voice' at design reviews. But they supposedly got a few extra Stock Options for the 'Pain and Suffering'. (No thanks)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla