Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 11:33 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,324,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Toyota and VW 6 years behind, eh?

Can’t remember the last time I saw a Golf or Camry just explode into a ball of fire for no apparent reason...

If I sound like a Tesla “hater” - that’s because I’m just about “there”.

I like my toast dry, and my coffee black. No avocado, no venti swirl mochachokabullsh...

https://www.usfa.fema.gov/downloads/...tics/v19i2.pdf

"Each year, from 2014 to 2016, an estimated 171,500 highway vehicle fires occurred in the United States, resulting in an annual average of 345 deaths; 1,300 injuries; and $1.1 billion in property loss."

But you've never heard of them so they don't happen, right?

I was a passenger in a car that exploded while driving down the road and burned to the ground, nearly taking me with it. I spent 6 months in a wheelchair recovering from heavy 3rd degree burns on both legs. So I'm a bit sensitive to car fires. EVs burn at a reduced rate from gas cars, which are rolling bombs as far as I'm concerned (which is why there are nearly 500 of them burning down every damn day).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2020, 12:29 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:

Can’t remember the last time I saw a Golf or Camry just explode into a ball of fire for no apparent reason...

I like my toast dry, and my coffee black. No avocado, no venti swirl mochachokabullsh...
have you ever seen a tesla explode into a ball of fire?

what are you trying to say with that last line, that you are old and afraid of change?

Old 02-19-2020, 12:55 PM

5,517 posts, read 2,405,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
One stunned engineer from a major Japanese automaker examined the computer and declared, "We cannot do it."
So it more or less based on what one engineer said. Ok.

Waymo, GM Cruise (GM and Honda) and Argo (Ford, VW) are considered the leaders in autonomous vehicles and self-driving cars.
Developing the technology and manufacturing an autonomous vehicle are two totally different things. Who is leading the pack in manufacturing of autonomous vehicles at this time?

Old 02-19-2020, 12:55 PM

9,882 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Building an EV is actually not hard at all. There are dozens of companies in China building EVs and succeeded but few will get traction without a nameplate. Even Dyson was supposed to build an EV but pulled out because they don't have the financial backing to build an ecosystem around it.

Which is why I still believe that Apple will build their own EV. The have the manufacturing experience to do it and EV is simply a bigger iPhone with moving parts. They don't want to be forced to pay a ransom by Tesla if they are forced to license integration with Tesla's onboard system. Tesla will have their own app store and who knows they may come out with their own Android phone. Elon has been building an ecosystem around the Tesla brand.
Reports note that Apple has transitioned the Project Titan team from building a car to developing an autonomous system that they can sell to other car makers. Hundreds of jobs were shed on the project in 2019.

Old 02-19-2020, 02:15 PM

6,453 posts, read 9,814,509 times
I think the competition between automakers will be good for us all in the end.

Old 02-19-2020, 04:33 PM

12,441 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
+1 on that. If Tesla gets more serious competition in the EV space, and all the makers of ICE vehicles are fighting to hold onto their current market share - consumers win

Old 02-19-2020, 05:18 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
The design and manufacture of complex semiconductors are different skills practiced by different companies.

Could be that Tesla is designing some specialty chips in house. Virtually impossible that he is making them - Running a 5 nm process is a very large task. Even a pilot plant will run 100s of millions of dollars. Qualcomm is a good example. They design the chips but have them manufactured in the heavy Asian plants. Apple is another.

And the big Tesla issue is likely to be LIDAR. Tesla does not and everyone else does. I personally believe that the cost of LIDAR will be reduced to something reasonable- a few hundred dollars. There are also some interesting ideas for one with no moving parts.In the end I expect the winning tech will have multiple sensors.

So Tesla may end up with the best cruise control but not competitive in fully autonomous vehicles.

Last edited by lvmensch; 02-19-2020 at 05:55 PM..

Old 02-19-2020, 05:34 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,557,786 times
Haha! Fair points to cvetter and captain above! But didn’t the Tesla that was used to compare against the Porsche EV actually catch fire during the test race?

Yes, I’m getting old and no, I haven’t a clue how to set the clock on the microwave (that never keeps time).

Old 02-19-2020, 05:36 PM

1,065 posts, read 471,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Japanese manufacturers disagree. The fear that employees at suppliers will be left with no jobs:

"For suppliers that depend on these components, and their employees, this is a matter of life and death."

Old 02-19-2020, 05:46 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
have you ever seen a tesla explode into a ball of fire?

what are you trying to say with that last line, that you are old and afraid of change?
DING! DING! DING!

We have a winner!!

Personally, as I get older, the more I appreciate technology and the potential it provides to stay engaged and connected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla