Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 09:47 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times

Advertisements

Its both and niether. Depends on the part of the state. There is nothing Southern about El Paso and there is nothing Western about Beaumont. It just depends.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:48 PM

389 posts, read 776,870 times
Default Rodeo is Western!

OK, hold on. Rodeo is Western. It was inherited by the South, which makes it a bigger arguement.

K, go on.

Jessie

Old 06-26-2010, 09:49 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,762,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Its both and niether. Depends on the part of the state. There is nothing Southern about El Paso and there is nothing Western about Beaumont. It just depends.
I agree.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:50 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
Let me rephase that. Texas is southern except West Texas and the Panhandle.

From an outsiders perspective that makes sense

Yet Texas Southern seems different from GA Southern; not sure I can put my finger on it maybe like New England and Mid Atlantic both being Northeastern but a little different

Old 06-26-2010, 09:51 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
If there is any topic that has been done to death it is Texas' regional affiliation! LOL

Texas is TEXAS, as most Texans and non-natives would probably agree. When placed within a region, however, it is essentially a SOUTHERN state. Not - as a whole -- typically Southern nor classically Southern (if the South is defined by the "southeast"), but Southern in just about every way (history, culture, speech, religion, black-eyed peas a state-wide tradition on New Years Day, etc, etc, ).

Texas is a "western" state. true. But it is NOT western in the sense of an Arizona or Colorado. The rodeos and cowboys? Yep, for sure. BUT...how many know the typical and original Texas cowboy was a product of the South? That is, of the Southern drover tradition as opposed to the Mexican vaquero?

The point is that Texas is western, but the same fact exists as in that it is not differentiated from the South. A different and unique part of it? Yes, for sure. But to be no more sliced from the South than should Kansas be sliced from the Midwest than because it is more "west" than "east". As, say, from Ohio.

As a whole, Texas has little if anything in common with the true "West" or "Southwest" states. It is basically Southern. It is not Georgia (and why should the far southeast be considered the common demominator of the right to define the South, anyway???). Matter of fact, by golly, I am going to make a point from here on out to reclaim we Western Southerners right to stake our permanent marker on the South and our proud history of having defended her (i.e. See Hood's Texas Brigade).

But seriously, what has to be considered and understood is that Texas is "west", yet Southern in history and culture and origin. It is both. Just like Kansas is west and Midwest. Yet, neither are are part of the same region with one another nor any state west of the plains.

Last edited by TexasReb; 06-26-2010 at 10:12 PM..

Old 06-26-2010, 09:54 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
From an outsiders perspective that makes sense

Yet Texas Southern seems different from GA Southern; not sure I can put my finger on it maybe like New England and Mid Atlantic both being Northeastern but a little different
Tejano culture, Texas as a Southern state has been influenced by Spain, Mexico, France, America, Native Americans.

Most Southern states have either 2/5. Florida = Spain/America during it's colonization.
Louisiana = Spanish/French/American.

The proximity to the border and the influx of immigrants from the other portions of the world have created a "melting pot" atmosphere throughout Texas, can't find that in Savannah (which seems like a nice cultural place to see).

Selena would be an example of that. She was Tejano.

That would be my guess on it. I think it's vast landscape also helps diminish strong culture and blend it to make one of it's own.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:56 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelwoman View Post
OK, hold on. Rodeo is Western. It was inherited by the South, which makes it a bigger arguement.

K, go on.

Jessie
Right on you are, especially as concerns Texas. The origins of the Texas cowboy are Southern, which was the reason for the drover tradition. Naturally this would be the case as the vast majority of Texas settlers came from the southeastern states looking to get a new start after the "War".

The roots of the Texas cowboy are Southern.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:58 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
If there is any topic that has been done to death it is Texas' regional affiliation! LOL

Texas is TEXAS, as most Texans and non-natives would probably agree. When placed within a region, however, it is essentially a SOUTHERN state. Not - as a whole -- typically Southern nor classically Southern (if the South is defined by the "southeast"), but Southern in just about every way (history, culture, speech, religion, black-eyed peas a state-wide tradition on New Years Day, etc, etc, ).

Texas is a "western" state. true. But it is NOT western in the sense of an Arizona or Colorado. The rodeos and cowboys? Yep, for sure. BUT...how many know the typical and original Texas cowboy was a product of the South? That is, of the Southern drover tradition as opposed to the Mexican vaquero?

The point is that Texas is western, but the same fact exists as in that it is not differentiated from the South. A different and unique part of it? Yes, for sure. But to be no more sliced from the South than should Kansas be sliced from the Midwest than because it is more "west" than "east". As, say, from Ohio.

As a whole, Texas has little if anything in common with the true "West" or "Southwest" states. It is basically Southern. It is not Georgia (and why should the far southeast be considered the common demominator of the right to define the South, anyway???). Matter of fact, by golly, I am going to make a point from here on out to reclaim we West Southerners right to make a point of our our own! LOL

But seriously, what has to be considered and understood is that Texas is "west", yet Southern in history and culture and origin. It is both. Just like Kansas is west and Midwest. Yet, neither are are part of the same region with one another nor any state west of the plains.
Thank You! This whole southern thing has been done to death.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:58 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
People, you think Texas is big now. You should have seen what it looked like back when it was it's own country- The Republic of Texas.

So much regional influence back in it's hey day. Denver, Albuquerque, among other would be apart of Texas if it stayed that way.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:59 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
there's a certain poster on here (i forget his name), not even from texas, but swore up and down that i was wrong when i basically told him what you just said above. maybe i should hunt him down for you, so you can school him

Quote:
As a whole, Texas has little if anything in common with the true "West" or "Southwest" states. It is basically Southern. It is not Georgia (and why should the far southeast be considered the common demominator of the right to define the South, anyway???). .
thank you!

texreb, i've been meaning to ask your opinion on the relationship between east texas and the southeast u.s. many people seem to disagree with me, but i see practically no difference between the two areas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas