Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 02:12 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,004,055 times

Advertisements

We'll just let next game day speak for itself.

I'm outty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 02:32 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,890,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
We'll just let next game day speak for itself.

I'm outty
WHAT?!?!!?! You mean the Super Bowl Championship game is coming up THIS SUNDAY!?!?! I did not know that the game coming up against the Cowboys and the Texans was for any championship. I thought it was just another game in the season in the long road TO the championship and anything can happen between now and that time. WOW! You would think that the media would be making a big circus out of this game promoting it and all kinds of rivalry spirit wear would be on sale in all the stores. I'm shocked.......

So you are finally coming out.......

Old 09-21-2010, 05:17 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,561,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
I think the Cowboys have been on the cusp for a couple of years now. The team is loaded with great athletes and should have achieved more than they have----something is amiss in River City.

Jones of course is a strong owner who is involved in every aspect of control-----sometimes he pretends to allow his coaching staff to have independence in planning but we know that is not true.

It is time for them to bring in a coach and allow him total control in building his team accordingly. I know this is almost impossible with Jones, but unless he decides to bring in a coach with a clear and concise structure and program, the Boys will continue to flounder.

I know they tried that in Parcells----but Jones meandered and interferred creating the usual chasm and confusion. Hire a guy like Cowher, step back Jerry, and let the man as Parcells said buy his own groceries and manuever the shopping cart. Everything else has failed----you now have your outrageous palace and palludium----step up Jerry---this coming from a guy who is definitely not a Cowboy fan.
As a Cowboy fan, I will say I don't want Cowher, Gruden, or any other retread coach. If Stephen Jones can persuade his dad to back off like he persuaded Jerry to get rid of TO and Pacman, it will be a glorious day for Cowboy fans. I want Leslie Frazier or Jim Harbaugh at Stanford. I really am set on Harbaugh though. He is a disciplinarian but not like Parcells. He loves to coach and he like his brother at Baltimore and that he does not back down. Jones didn't run Parcells out of town. Parcells was just tired of coaching.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:20 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,561,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
EXACTLY!!! I can not think of a single instance where Cowboys fans had any real hatred towards the Texans or in years past the Oilers. Why MM has this deep seated hatred against the Cowboys and Cowboys fans that he has so vehemently expressed is such a crack up. They are not even in the same division to be in such a rivalry situation. There has to be something that has only affected him to cause such hatred.
Same here TT Dave and momof2dfw. I actually root for the Texans unless playing the Cowboys. I was happy the beat Indianapolis and was double happy they beat our most hated rival. I won't mind to see them win a superbowl even if it is in Cowboys stadium. There's only one AFC team that most Cowboy fans hate and that's the Steelers.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:33 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,636,125 times
Is MM still around or is he fawning over his Schaub pics !

Old 01-17-2011, 02:37 PM

54 posts, read 131,666 times
Default Better Late Than Never

There's a reason the Cowboys turned in such an abysmal season: KARMA. Karma is interesting and operates in it's own way at it's own pace. "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" happened to fall in 2010. The owner, Jerry Jones, finally got what was a long time in coming. Too long. I'm in my 60's and had started to think I might miss it! But, no, KARMA, understood my personal involvement in this and allowed me time enough to witness what hurts him more than anything: losing money. After that comes power, prestige..all the attendant trappings that come with being omnipotent, "The Man." Now, you can correctly call him "The Man Who Destroyed The Cowboys."

When JJ took over in 1989, firing the only coach the Cowboys had ever known, Tom Landry, in a rude, crude manner so typical of a shoeless Arky numb nutz, and hiring another Arkansan and former team mate, Jimmy Johnson, Texans started to get a tad steamed under the collar..the real Cowboy fans who remembered beating Lombardi and recalled another longtime Cowboy, the amazing Tex Schramm, same man responsible for the "instant replay" taken for granite by every NFL fan. Jones placed himself in charge of "all football Matters." It was at that very instant the Cowboys became doomed.

I saw Tex every month. Picked him up at San Antonio International Airport for his radio show with Jay Howard. Of course, I had to wait, nervously sometimes, as Tex signed autographs for everyone and anyone who asked. That's what Tex was like.

Between Landry and Schramm, the seed was planted that grew the franchise into "America's Team." The team Jones feasted on til he'd devoured all the good and left only the gristle. Now, it's America's Losing Team by every standard, and you need only to point a finger at Jerry Jones after every losing game the Cowboys drop for some inane reason cooked up by owner, Jones.

It was the fans who demanded Wade get the boot. He got it. Until Jones is gone, I'm for whatever team is playing against the Cowboys. In a perfect world, the Cowboys current coach will helm the team next year, Red McCombs will head a consortium of other boardroom winners and kick Jones between the uprights.

That's when I return to being a Cowboy's fan.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:15 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,194,708 times
I think of the "karma" as being on a shorter scale. The Cowboys and many of their fans seemed to think that a Super Bowl appearance was practically a done deal at the beginning of the season, simply because of "all that talent". When they started their losing streak, they and their sad-sack head coach had no answer for it. I got so tired of seeing him pacing the sidelines shaking his head, which was about the least inspiring thing he could have done. But they were 5-3 under Jason Garrett, so there is hope.

I'm no great booster of Jerry Jones; his treatment of Landry and Schramm was inexcusable (although it must be said that time had passed Landry's strategies by; his record towards the end wasn't good). But Jerry isn't a total idiot; he watches the bottom line. At least he got rid of the sad-sack. And Jerry & Jimmy did pretty well. Jimmy had a degree of autonomy, which I hope Garrett will have.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:43 PM

54 posts, read 131,666 times
Default Great Post Catman

So refreshing to run across someone who expresses their view in such an intelligent, rational manor. No doubt, Tom was headed for the last corral. The man from Mission deserved so much more than JJ was capable of giving when Landry was unceremoniously let go. I truly believe Jones lacks some basic wiring that makes a human..well, human.

Having had the pleasure of spending time with both Tom and Tex over the years do to a position in broadcasting, it didn't take long for me to tell they were the genuine article. Tex Schramm, arguably the most innovative GM in the NFL. He devised and fought for "instant replay. Coach Landry's record and Super bowl appearances speak for our only coach until Jones showed what a classless low life he (Jones) is down deep.

Thanks, Catman. See you down the road. I believe Garrett, if left alone, can mature into a great coach.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:39 PM

172 posts, read 411,479 times
how are they the team of the 90s? they are considered by many and me, to be the best overall NFL team in NFL history. its true, only steelers fans, patriots, colts fans, and the ignorant redskins beg to differ. because those are the next best teams that can compare to cowboys. the cowboys know got rob ryan. hell the cowboys did bad this season because of wade phillips! who they were like 1 and 7 with. they put up jason garett and went 5 and 3! he is a offensive cordinator and did really good as head coach!
hell romo is injured all the time and cowboys still did fine!

you will see the cowboys in the superbowl in the next few years.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:28 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,536,770 times
A lot of people get so wrapped up in the Cowboys' five Super Bowl wins. While championships are the ultimate goal of each season and very important, I do get tired of seeing all the t-shirts and paraphernalia that go on and on about championships and rings. The Cowboys didn't earn the nickname "America's Team" from winning the most Superbowls. In fact, there were always other teams that had won more Super Bowls than us until the 1995 season. It seems like fans have this unhealthy obsession with having more rings than anybody, and at any cost need to catch up and pass Pittsburg.

I remember when being "America's Team" was more about the culture and character that surrounded this organization, not the number of championships. It was about the image. That character and those traditions are what Jerry Jones has done a good job of destroying since he got here. I don't think he ever understood what being "America's Team" meant, and it was never more apparent in the way he let Landry go. Yes, Landry was ineffective by the time he was fired, but he deserved better. It was also apparent with the hiring of thugs like Pacman Jones and Terrell Owens. Jones's ego is so transparent and so desparate for championships and fame that it drives him to make terrible decisions.

I think it's too late for change. Maybe he'll step aside and let the team blossom under Garrett. Maybe it will be another chapter of Jones's failures. Either way, I hope that when his son eventually takes over the Cowboys, Stephen has a bit more sense than his dad and a little more understanding of what being a Dallas Cowboy means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas