Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 10:00 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,194,708 times

Advertisements

spicemeister: Thanks for the compliments. I thought of Landry as being a bit aloof, but I didn't hold that against him. That was his public persona, and for a long time it worked. His team respected him. I thought Tex Schramm was great; I watched his TV show often and realized he was truly the "genuine article".

I must say that the Cowboys going 5-3 after a 1-7 stretch was a very pleasing surprise! It reflected favorably on Jason Garrett and on the team. They showed they had heart, and some pride as well, which was all they were playing for at that point. Next year should be interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 10:34 AM

54 posts, read 131,666 times
Default Jones Must Go

You're quite welcome, Catman. Next season, and any subsequent seasons that find JJ as the owner..hinge on one thing, IMO. JJ must count to 10 (I assume he can do that), take a deep breath and (even if he has to struggle) delegate authority.. most of all, let the coach..coach..leave him and the players alone.

They started, IMO, playing PeeWee which would have the majority on the field for 14 years prior to getting to the NFL. They know the game. JJ played. Now, he's an owner, and a lousy one at that, possibly the worst in the league. If he has any hopes of keeping the team (he won't with another season like this) he'll give his son more reign assuming the Lad isn't doing most of the day to day now.

Some would say, but he owns the team, he can't be fired! Incorrect. 3/5-11 seasons back to back to back tend to make those with a vested interest in the team very nervous. "Vested" as investors. We've all heard of the board room "Trojan Horse." A new board member that can bring ol' Jerry down and out..on a vote.

Shape up JJ, or there will never be another season for you with what use to be a great team, an admired team..a team that people truly loved. It all starts at the top...and only gathers speed as it rolls down. Let's hope two things happen in the next 2 to 3 years: JJ is gone (I could say he lacks the class and talent of Landry and Schramm, however that's a given) and Garrett produces teams that can bring people like me back to the fold. Truth be told, JJ gone would start me, and 1000's others who remember what class means, rooting for the Boys..No Injuries..Good Luck!

Old 01-21-2011, 02:12 PM

I didn't know that about owners. I think Jerry could be acceptable if he could delegate authority more and appoint a GM other than himself, but that may be asking far too much as I don't imagine he can (or will). Keeping it 'all in the family' probably won't help.

You reminded me of a button I saw that I particularly like: "I may be over the hill, but I'm picking up speed"!

Old 01-21-2011, 03:26 PM

54 posts, read 131,666 times
I'll take a bunch of those, Catman! Thanks! Interesting, quick OT story speaking of over the hill! Mybirthday is 01/02. last year was my "Palindrome Year" when my birthday rolled around. It was on 01022010..numbers are sequentially the same coming and going! Won't happen again for another 780 years. I will have gained break neck speed by then!

Old 01-21-2011, 08:30 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,561,459 times
I think Jerry has heard it from the fans, the analysts plus experts, and most importantly, his son. I've been saying this for years. Stephen Jones is slowly but surely starting to make his presence known behind the scenes. He is part of the reason TO and Pacman is gone. Jerry said that JG will be on hands on picking a coaching staff and JG went out and got what he wanted. An aggressive style 3-4 coach in Rob Ryan. He also got rid of Ray Sherman which is a step in the right direction. Great WR coach. But he coddles his receivers to much. JG does not want that atmosphere in the locker room. I'm loving how he is choosing coaches right now. Let's see what he does for players.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:04 PM

spicemeister: Wow, that 'Palindrome year' thing is amazing! Not many people have that opportunity. I'll be long gone by 5070.

Spade: Yeah, it will be interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas