Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 08:42 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,735 times

Advertisements

[quote=blueskies49;1649251]Why so rude? And diversity is great, that's what's so cool about great cosmopolitan cities such as Houston but if a certain area isn't as diverse as another I don't understand the thinking that it's bad somehow. I'll take Texas in all its variety, diverse or not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysrodgers View Post

And what is wrong with that? I'm proud of being from the "Great State of Texas!"
well some of us never figured out what was so great about it. believe me I tried. Maybe you can tell me what makes you folks get up in the morning and thank your lucky lone star that you live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 10:34 AM

165 posts, read 564,200 times
Default And so...

[quote=sberdrow;1649362]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
Why so rude? And diversity is great, that's what's so cool about great cosmopolitan cities such as Houston but if a certain area isn't as diverse as another I don't understand the thinking that it's bad somehow. I'll take Texas in all its variety, diverse or not!

well some of us never figured out what was so great about it. believe me I tried. Maybe you can tell me what makes you folks get up in the morning and thank your lucky lone star that you live there.
I was born and raised in Texas. I think it's a great state. I like the fact that we do not have winter weather in southeast Texas. I don't like the cold. I don't like the idea of paying state income tax (which I do now). Property taxes didn't bother me in Texas with a house costing 160K. Where I live now the median home price is 350K. I like going to the rodeo in Houston. I like the riverwalk in San Antonio. I like the State Fair in Dallas. I like the beach in South Padre. I like the Mardi Gras in Galveston. I like the food in the valley. I like Big Bend. I like tubing on the Guadelupe with a cooler full of Corona on a hot summer day. I like driving through the small town called Cameron where my mom spent a large part of her childhood where folks sittin' on the porch wave at you when you drive by. I like the fact that you can find great Mexican, Chinese, African, Italian, Cajun, Vietnamese, Texas barbecue and good old fashion soul food all over the state. Those are just a few things that I think are great about Texas.

I now live in Maryland. Native Marylanders that I associate with are somewhat ambivalent about their state for a variety of reasons. They don't display the same pride as Texans do. I just chalk it up to them having a different "way" of thinking. Like the poster who now lives in New Mexico says, you learn to adjust to your new surroundings. When in Rome...you know. California has it's own style. Good for Cali. But how about giving the folks who love Texas a break? Even if you don't understand why, how about giving us some props for appreaciating our little ole lone star state?

Old 10-04-2007, 11:09 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,735 times
[quote=Cheasare;1650401]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post

I was born and raised in Texas. I think it's a great state. I like the fact that we do not have winter weather in southeast Texas. I don't like the cold. I don't like the idea of paying state income tax (which I do now). Property taxes didn't bother me in Texas with a house costing 160K. Where I live now the median home price is 350K. I like going to the rodeo in Houston. I like the riverwalk in San Antonio. I like the State Fair in Dallas. I like the beach in South Padre. I like the Mardi Gras in Galveston. I like the food in the valley. I like Big Bend. I like tubing on the Guadelupe with a cooler full of Corona on a hot summer day. I like driving through the small town called Cameron where my mom spent a large part of her childhood where folks sittin' on the porch wave at you when you drive by. I like the fact that you can find great Mexican, Chinese, African, Italian, Cajun, Vietnamese, Texas barbecue and good old fashion soul food all over the state. Those are just a few things that I think are great about Texas.

I now live in Maryland. Native Marylanders that I associate with are somewhat ambivalent about their state for a variety of reasons. They don't display the same pride as Texans do. I just chalk it up to them having a different "way" of thinking. Like the poster who now lives in New Mexico says, you learn to adjust to your new surroundings. When in Rome...you know. California has it's own style. Good for Cali. But how about giving the folks who love Texas a break? Even if you don't understand why, how about giving us some props for appreaciating our little ole lone star state?
well, I would probably take Texas over Maryland. You must have moved there for the job. My guess is that you will be seeing Texas again soon as your home. Someone who has that much love for a place really should take a look at finding a way back there. You really utilized the entire state. I feel for you and hope you get back soon to your warm state.

I myself had just as many things to say about my state I moved from. Im glad that I tried Texas. It had made me appreciate cold weather like I never thought I would. It has made me appreciate mountains in a way never realized. I really missed the evergreen forests and fern plants on the ground. I have it back now and could not be more pleased.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:08 PM

165 posts, read 564,200 times
Default Came for the hubby.

[quote=sberdrow;1650692]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheasare View Post
well, I would probably take Texas over Maryland. You must have moved there for the job. My guess is that you will be seeing Texas again soon as your home. Someone who has that much love for a place really should take a look at finding a way back there. You really utilized the entire state. I feel for you and hope you get back soon to your warm state.

I myself had just as many things to say about my state I moved from. Im glad that I tried Texas. It had made me appreciate cold weather like I never thought I would. It has made me appreciate mountains in a way never realized. I really missed the evergreen forests and fern plants on the ground. I have it back now and could not be more pleased.

Thanks for the very kind words. I do hope to get back to Texas one day. I came to Maryland because of my husband. Just like you, I'm glad I tried this area and it did make me appreciate the state I was born in. But I think that's the point, each state has qualities that makes it endearing. Nothing wrong with that, whether you like the heat or the snow or like it fast or slow; there's a special place for everybody. When growing up we did not have money to take vacations on airplanes and such so exploring Texas by car was what we did. That's how I got to know areas all over the state.

You say you miss the evergreen forests and fern plants; sounds like my friend here in Maryland that is originally from upstate Michigan. WHEWWWWW, I mean Michigan is on a whole other level of COLD, but she loves cold weather and cold weather activities. She's talks about sledding in the dead of winter which is something that I just can't imagine doing. When it snows up here, I'm on serious lockdown running the heat at 95 degrees with the fireplace going and candles burning while drinking a "hot tottie"! LOL Anyway I'm glad you have your "oasis" again.

C.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:08 PM

415 posts, read 1,718,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysrodgers View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeLaura View Post
Wait. Isn't Texas your state now? Or do you still live in California?
Me>>I was born in California, I grew up in California, I lived in California for over 50 years. I've lived in Texas for 6 months......you figure it out. Yes, I still consider myself a Californian - always will.

After all, we're not the ones always running around spouting we're from the "great state of California," like Texans do.
And you're surprised you don't feel welcomed here?

I was born in Missouri, grew up in Oklahoma, and still consider myself a Texan. I think there a lot things to recommend the state. I wasn't at all thrilled about coming here, at first, but I gave it a chance and ended up loving it.

I'd have to say that if you respond to everybody here in that hostile of a manner, few people would want hang around to get to know 'the real you'. Whether you agree with it or not, people feel strongly about Texas and putting it down won't win you friends except with others who pretend they're still living somewhere else.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:10 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheasare View Post
I hope you'll enjoy the East Coast. You are in the place where America was born. Can you believe that you are in the midst of history where George Washington and other historical figures once roamed? The places that the events took place are interesting.

Marylanders probably tend to think of themselves as part of something bigger; they don't think of themselves as Marylanders but as East Coasters. If the East Coast was one huge state, it might outpace California.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:42 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
I moved to Texas in 1996 due to job transfer. The first thing I noticed was how Texans took great pride in their state. Without even trying over the years it grows on you.
You know the state flag, the state flower, start wearing your "college" football shirt on Saturday's even out of season and start using Texas slang.

It's called assimilation. Let it happen..be open to change and you will be much happier.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:22 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,287,711 times
We like transplants like you and CallMeLaura !!

I've known some transplants who have been here maybe 20 years and still don't consider themselves Texan. I can think of one in particular who came here out of college from Indiana 20 years ago and says he will never say "y'all" or any other Texas slang. His friend from college on the other hand has been saying it for years and considers himself Texan. I guess it just depends on the person. Contrary to what some might think, I think alot of us Texans would understand someone who still identifies strongly with their home state because naturally, most of us would, too, but it's the ones who don't bother to find the positive here and/or make fun of us and the culture. I mentioned in another thread how a couple of Michigan girls who had moved here were asked by a reporter how they liked it and all they could do was laugh and make fun that we say "y'all". Well, that attitude won't exactly win praise and warm fuzzy feelings from the natives!

Old 10-05-2007, 09:29 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:

I've known some transplants who have been here maybe 20 years and still don't consider themselves Texan. I can think of one in particular who came here out of college from Indiana 20 years ago and says he will never say "y'all" or any other Texas slang. His friend from college on the other hand has been saying it for years and considers himself Texan. I guess it just depends on the person. Contrary to what some might think, I think alot of us Texans would understand someone who still identifies strongly with their home state because naturally, most of us would, too, but it's the ones who don't bother to find the positive here and/or make fun of us and the culture. I mentioned in another thread how a couple of Michigan girls who had moved here were asked by a reporter how they liked it and all they could do was laugh and make fun that we say "y'all". Well, that attitude won't exactly win praise and warm fuzzy feelings from the natives!
Exactly. There's nothing wrong with being proud of where you're from...as a Texan I fully understand that. However...if you're going to move here, embrace it. Don't just sit there and ***** and complain about it the whole time, expecting us to soothe you or agree with you. If you don't like Texas, leave. Simple as.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:09 AM

415 posts, read 1,718,681 times
Quote:
lol, I had to go look at what I wrote that would make you consider me a transplant! Honestly, I feel that Texas is MY state and my first reaction is that I'm *from* here.

My boyfriend mocks me all the time. As if he even remembers living in Ohio for the first two years of his life...

Oh, for the record, he lived in California for a couple of years. Hated it. Except the Aquarium and a little deli that made potato pancakes, even if they were only good half the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas