Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2007, 02:32 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,156,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeLaura View Post
lol, I had to go look at what I wrote that would make you consider me a transplant! Honestly, I feel that Texas is MY state and my first reaction is that I'm *from* here.

My boyfriend mocks me all the time. As if he even remembers living in Ohio for the first two years of his life...

Oh, for the record, he lived in California for a couple of years. Hated it. Except the Aquarium and a little deli that made potato pancakes, even if they were only good half the time.
I'm the native Texan daughter of transplants...my parents both moved to Texas as children with their families. My grandparents are carpetbaggers...my parents are transplants, i.e. not Texans, and I'm a Texan. That's how I see it anyway. My father moved here when he was 6 years old and tries to burn me with the "I've lived here longer than you have" argument, but I just whip out my birth certificate and put him in his place.

There are Texans who don't consider you a true Texan unless you were born here, and there are even some who don't consider you a true Texan until you're 3rd, 4th, even 5th + generation. Those people are pretty unusual. I'm in the "not born here, not a real Texan" camp. It chaps my a$$ when the president claims to be a Texan. Uh...he was born in CONNECTICUT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 06:36 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,392,676 times
well can ya blame Pres Bush? i wouldnt want to admit it either if i were born in CT! we should be HONORED that so many want to claim Texas as their state!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
I'm the native Texan daughter of transplants...my parents both moved to Texas as children with their families. My grandparents are carpetbaggers...my parents are transplants, i.e. not Texans, and I'm a Texan. That's how I see it anyway. My father moved here when he was 6 years old and tries to burn me with the "I've lived here longer than you have" argument, but I just whip out my birth certificate and put him in his place.

There are Texans who don't consider you a true Texan unless you were born here, and there are even some who don't consider you a true Texan until you're 3rd, 4th, even 5th + generation. Those people are pretty unusual. I'm in the "not born here, not a real Texan" camp. It chaps my a$$ when the president claims to be a Texan. Uh...he was born in CONNECTICUT.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:02 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,784,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
well can ya blame Pres Bush? i wouldnt want to admit it either if i were born in CT! we should be HONORED that so many want to claim Texas as their state!!
well doesnt the fact that bush claims texas make just a few of you want to disown Texas?

Old 10-05-2007, 09:11 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,392,676 times
not me! i love the man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
well doesnt the fact that bush claims texas make just a few of you want to disown Texas?

Old 10-05-2007, 09:17 PM

1,298 posts, read 4,290,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeLaura View Post
lol, I had to go look at what I wrote that would make you consider me a transplant! Honestly, I feel that Texas is MY state and my first reaction is that I'm *from* here.
Lol! Good enough! Let's see, you were born in Missouri which is considered half-Southern, and raised in Oklahoma which some Texans claim that Okies are just wannabe Texans, so I guess you're Texan after all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post

Well, you know, there are people like that all over, in fact in New England there are some who believe that if your family didn't come over on the Mayflower you're practically un-American! For all intents and purposes, any country in the world, unless there are exceptions that I'm unaware of, consider a person a native of whichever country they were born in. And anyway, NONE of us had a choosing in our birthplace so to sneer at someone else who's family hasn't been in a certain state or country long enough is plain stupid, IMO!

Quote:

Old 10-06-2007, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
Well, you know, there are people like that all over, in fact in New England there are some who believe that if your family didn't come over on the Mayflower you're practically un-American! For all intents and purposes, any country in the world, unless there are exceptions that I'm unaware of, consider a person a native of whichever country they were born in. And anyway, NONE of us had a choosing in our birthplace so to sneer at someone else who's family hasn't been in a certain state or country long enough is plain stupid, IMO!

I got the best of both worlds then; a lot of my ancestors in New England came over before the USA was a country.

Old 10-06-2007, 12:14 PM

415 posts, read 1,719,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
Lol! Good enough! Let's see, you were born in Missouri which is considered half-Southern, and raised in Oklahoma which some Texans claim that Okies are just wannabe Texans, so I guess you're Texan after all!
My mom has always said that Oklahoma is a watered down version of Texas. (She was even born there!)

Old 10-06-2007, 12:19 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,231,333 times
Quote:
not me! i love the man!
Good for you, belle. I think you're the first person who has ever said that on these forums. In spite of what's said, he could be much worse than people see him to be. Being born in CT isn't bad, but he truly seems like a Texan to me; after all, he was raised here.

Old 10-06-2007, 03:19 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,108,687 times
Quote:
not me! i love the man!

I love him too!!!!

But regarding California and Texas, you can not compare the 2 states. They are so completely different.

Old 10-06-2007, 04:08 PM

Quote:
No, because I don't consider him to be a Texan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas