Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 02:45 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,423,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
If one drives at the speed limit when everyone else is speeding, it is more dangerous to him than if he goes with the flow. It works best when everyone is driving at a similar speed.

I can understand why the speed limit might be raised in West Texas. It's a long way between anything.
Yes, it does. That's why we have speed limits. So if someone is exceeding the speed limit which is put in place to assure this (and, yes, I know we all, including me, speed), then they are the one causing the problem.

Why is it so terribly difficult for some to acknowledge this about themselves? Why is so necessary to blame the people who are abiding by the rules that are in place to make our roads safer for being the problem when if those blaming them simply obeyed the speed limit, there would be no problem? Takes us right back to that lack of ability to accept the fact that one is responsible for the consequences of one's actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 04:15 PM

220 posts, read 454,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Yes, it does. That's why we have speed limits. So if someone is exceeding the speed limit which is put in place to assure this (and, yes, I know we all, including me, speed), then they are the one causing the problem.

Why is it so terribly difficult for some to acknowledge this about themselves? Why is so necessary to blame the people who are abiding by the rules that are in place to make our roads safer for being the problem when if those blaming them simply obeyed the speed limit, there would be no problem? Takes us right back to that lack of ability to accept the fact that one is responsible for the consequences of one's actions.
Slower people should stay to the right, if you are driving. If you are driving the speed limit and people are going faster than you, then you should move to the right.

I follow the law when I drive, I drive a reasonable and prudent speed. Most times reasonable and prudent to me can be 5-20mph over depending on conditions.

I hate people who insist on driving in the left lane and slowing everyone down just because, "they are driving the speed limit and arent doing anything wrong."

Old 04-12-2011, 05:22 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,962,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickc007 View Post
Bingo !

The first time I drove the Turnpike from CT to MA, I was
driving 75. I was practically getting rear ended.
Flow of traffic was 85 - 90

Straight Road, not many entrances/exits .....
That's the Northeast for you. Up there, people gotta go!

Old 04-12-2011, 06:47 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,762,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Anyone here want to take me up on the bet that when the speed limit is raised to 85, that people who currently drive 85 "because it's the right speed for the conditions, not 70" will be driving 100?
If I lived closer I'd take you up on it. I believe that people have their own personal speed limits. Like I've said before, if I didn't have to worry about law enforcement, my typical rural Interstate cruising speed in light to moderate traffic would be between 85 and 90. If I was driving on an 85-mile-per-hour stretch of Interstate, I'd probably be traveling maybe three miles per hour over the posted speed limit, and if it was 90, then I'd be traveling under the speed limit. Less than 80 miles per hour on a rural Interstate makes me feel like I'm going nowhere, yet I feel no need to travel over 90 either. At some point, people will stop seeing how fast they can go relative to the speed limit, and just drive. I figure that most people's personal speed limits would be between 80 and 85 miles per hour. Some will be less than 80, and some will be between 85 and 90 like me. Once in a blue moon you'd find somebody whose personal speed limit is over 90. (I believe that the minimum speed on all rural Interstates should be 70.)

Old 04-12-2011, 06:54 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,429,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
That's the Northeast for you. Up there, people gotta go!

People are much, much, much better drivers up there. They actually do things like move over from the left hand lane and go with the flow of traffic.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
People are much, much, much better drivers up there. They actually do things like move over from the left hand lane and go with the flow of traffic.
Really? My experiences up there are that they are rude and aggressive drivers. Especially around Philly and NY. The best drivers live out in LA.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:17 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,269,293 times
I don't think people are any worse drivers in Austin than anywhere else. However, it's the arrogance of people in their huge vehicles (that most cannot control decently), that makes Austin such a dangerous place to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Really? My experiences up there are that they are rude and aggressive drivers. Especially around Philly and NY. The best drivers live out in LA.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
I don't think people are any worse drivers in Austin than anywhere else. However, it's the arrogance of people in their huge vehicles (that most cannot control decently), that makes Austin such a dangerous place to drive.
Austin drivers are terrible. They don't know the rules. One time, I was going about 75 on the far left lane on I-35, and some idiot pulls out in front of me going about 65 and just stays there. He wasn't even trying to pass anyone. I flickered my lights, etc., and he didn't move. I then saw everyone exit on the far right lane and went there to pass everyone up. The fact that Austin has a bad freeway layout also does not help.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:39 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,704,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John26 View Post
Slower people should stay to the right, if you are driving. If you are driving the speed limit and people are going faster than you, then you should move to the right.

I follow the law when I drive, I drive a reasonable and prudent speed. Most times reasonable and prudent to me can be 5-20mph over depending on conditions.

I hate people who insist on driving in the left lane and slowing everyone down just because, "they are driving the speed limit and arent doing anything wrong."

I drive like a grandma. I go the speed limit or 5 over and it gets my goat when I drive in the right lane like I'm supposed to and then some dingbat that wants to drive waaayyyy faster in the right lane starts tailgating and won't get over into the passing lane.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I drive like a grandma. I go the speed limit or 5 over and it gets my goat when I drive in the right lane like I'm supposed to and then some dingbat that wants to drive waaayyyy faster in the right lane starts tailgating and won't get over into the passing lane.
Yeah, I hate those people. When I'm speeding in the right lane and someone pulls in front of me, yes, I may be a little ticked off at first if they could have waited three extra seconds for me to go in front of them, before going over to the right lane, but it is the right lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: