Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2011, 09:34 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,352,455 times

Advertisements

Hope A$M enjoys it's new rivalry with Vanderbilt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I honestly do not care in the least who was great when scholarships were unlimited. If you want to talk about total history then lots of teams can brag. In the modern era of college sports, with 85 scholarships for football, racially integrated teams, and Title IX your team doesn't look so heroic.

Instead of focusing on A&M mediocrity over much of that time, why don't you focus on the mediocrity of your team in all the sports it chooses to compete in? And as already pointed out (by me), UT's overall record in the last ten years isn't so special.

Scopro - maybe you can shed your hornfans 8th grade shtick and act a little more like an adult. I'm disappointed in a few A&M fans here for their name calling, but you are setting the floor of behavior.
As I stated before, most fans aren't that interested in the minor sports.

The UT football team has been anything but mediocre in the Mack Brown era....and is one of the top 5 programs in the country. On the other hand A&M's best run during the '80s & '90s resulted in their winningest coaches being fired & NCAA probation. Hardly something to brag about.

I haven't been on Hornfans for a couple years, but it appears the A&M University movers & shakers are totally immersed in Texags shtick. Their conduct has been pretty hypocritical and not very smart, especially in their dishonest attempt to cast UT as the problem.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:00 AM

663 posts, read 1,725,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyBaaBaa View Post
Aggie is going for a better neighborhood. Just as the previous two that left UT whining on the sidelines did.
Hows that Longwhorn Notwork going for you anyway?
Can't wait to see A&M and the Gators playing every year.
Have fun playing houston/pitt/byu lol
A&M won't get the Gators every year. If current SEC scheduling remains in tact (which it likely will as much as is reasonable), A&M will get a consecutive home-and-away with Florida once every few years. Even if two western teams get SEC invites, Auburn will likely be the school that flips to the East. You'll get LSU every year. You'll get Bama every year. But not Florida. The only way to get a guaranteed yearly game between East-West teams is to be the designated rival. The A&M won't swipe that designation away from LSU, Florida's currently-designated West rival. The other way is to win the SEC West and hope that other team wins the SEC East. No school in the SEC can count on that happening with any regularity. At least not anymore.

Personally, I think it's a good move for the Aggies to leave Texas' shadow. It's silly to stick around and be a Jan Brady when you have other options. I'm not sure what I think of them coming into my favorite conference, but I am excited about the prospects of getting a Georgia game in College Station once every 5 or 6 years.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:06 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,076,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No that's not the reason at all. A&M and Texas doesn't want TCU in the conference because financially they add nothing. They don't add the DFW market either because Texas, Tech, OU, and A&M have more eyes than TCU by themselves. Yes you read right. A&M dint want them either. Neither did the other big 12 schools because they didnt want more Texas schools in the conference. It's the same reason Houston isn't in the conference. TCU couldn't even sell out it's stadium last year if I believe.

Dont act like your Aggies are so innocent. You are money hungery yourself. Thats why you want to move. Texas and A&M were not interested in restarting the swc. If it was up to them,Tech and Baylor wouldn't be in the big 12 now.
I think instead of the SEC, A&M and UT should go to the Big 10 and OU and Okie St. should go to the SEC.

The 2 Texas schools bring the Texas market to the Big 10 as well as the great academics and athletics and can keep their rivalry as well as kicking Nebraskas butt every year.

OU and OSU are more in line academically with the SEC

Old 08-29-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
KDogg, you are completely myopic when it comes to the history of college sports. The Big 12 didn't decide a year ago when TCU started playing in Rose Bowls to not let them into the Big 12. TCU was lucky to win a couple of games a year when the Big 12 was formed, had virtually no fans, and brought no money into the conference. Furthermore, it was Ann Richards and others in Texas government that twisted UT and A&M's arms into bringing Baylor into the Big 12 rather than TCU when decisions were being made. I'm not trying to bag on Baylor either, but it's not like the choice was based on the merits of either school's program.

Most Longhorns completely respect TCU's program these days and how they've managed to turn it around. Many have expressed interest in bringing TCU to the Big 12. However, they made their own plays and have found themselves in the Big East. They don't need the Big 12 anymore than the Big 12 needs them.

Keep hanging on to that rare win you achieved against a 5-7 Texas team. First win in four years, third win in a decade, and absolutely no trophies to show for it. A&M manages to lose less than six games a few times a decade and they think they are rising to the cream of the crop. If not for running away, you'd be back to the usual -- fighting Baylor for 5th place in the south in no time. I guess now you can look forward to fighting the Mississippi schools for that coveted 5th place spot in the SEC West. Whoop!
Actually, it is now 3 of the last 5 and 15-11 A&M since 1984...

Does not see very rare to beat TU

Besides, you guys only win the Big 12 when OU has a bad year...OU has run this conference by itself since 2000

Old 08-29-2011, 10:17 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,187,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
As I stated before, most fans aren't that interested in the minor sports.

The UT football team has been anything but mediocre in the Mack Brown era....and is one of the top 5 programs in the country. On the other hand A&M's best run during the '80s & '90s resulted in their winningest coaches being fired & NCAA probation. Hardly something to brag about.

I haven't been on Hornfans for a couple years, but it appears the A&M University movers & shakers are totally immersed in Texags shtick. Their conduct has been pretty hypocritical and not very smart, especially in their dishonest attempt to cast UT as the problem.
I'm not "most fans" and I have been clear about that. Since the schools compete in other sports, and spend a lot of money on them - they should be good.

I also didn't say UT was mediocre under Mack Brown. I said they were inconsistent before Mack. His record is excellent. It needs to be.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I'm not "most fans" and I have been clear about that. Since the schools compete in other sports, and spend a lot of money on them - they should be good.

I also didn't say UT was mediocre under Mack Brown. I said they were inconsistent before Mack. His record is excellent. It needs to be.
The UT record was only inconsistent (mediocre, really) from 1985-97.

I agree about the minor sports being good if a lot of $$ is spent on them, but don't really care that much about them, personally.

Some schools participate it many more sports than UT (see Stanford), but that doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Howeveer, I do think A&M has not been forthcoming with their departure noises - meaning their angst-filled complaints about conference revenue distribution and the Longhorn Network. They need to set the record straight and quit blaming the evil t-sips.

But I don't care if they leave or stay. Hopefully, it will bring about the super conference realignment that is so sorely needed, which in turn will bring about some kind of football playoff. The present situation cannot endure.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Actually, it is now 3 of the last 5 and 15-11 A&M since 1984...

Does not see very rare to beat TU

Besides, you guys only win the Big 12 when OU has a bad year...OU has run this conference by itself since 2000
When did y'all last win the B12? Your last MNC? Your last top 5 ranking?

Why just go back to 1984? Why even count Sherrill's record, given that he brought shame to your program? What part of 75-37-5 don't you understand?

Old 08-29-2011, 11:59 AM

1,081 posts, read 916,534 times
All this bickering and the Longwhorn Notwork is still a blank screen.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
When did y'all last win the B12? Your last MNC? Your last top 5 ranking?

Why just go back to 1984? Why even count Sherrill's record, given that he brought shame to your program? What part of 75-37-5 don't you understand?

Cause A&M has far more class than cry baby TU fan.... remember 2008 when you guys threw the biggest hissy fit about "45-35" beating OU and meanwhile Tech beat YOU and had the same record and didn't cry like little babies about it

75-37 don't mean crap since almost the whole gap came when A&M didn't even really have a football program. What has happened in your lifetime means more.

Seems like the present and future have you TU boys being OU and A&M's kid...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas