Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 01:33 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Also, I wonder how the texting / talking idiots will do at 85 since they stink at 45?
Where I worked 10 years ago talking on the cell phone while driving was a fireable offense if they found out such as if you had an accident.

If you respect risk and believe in safety, you wont talk on a cell while driving and certainly dont text.

I worked for decades in very dangerous places and you learn to respect risk and to take precautions. My car and tires are in tip top shape and designed to handle good at high speeds but the huge risks are the drivers around you many of whom are on cells and some maybe texting as noted. Be prepared with your vehicle in good shape for these speeds but drive far away as you can from these traffic clumps...

knock on wood, one accident 40 years ago and none since ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 06:00 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,278,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Sounds like California conditioning for sure. You guys don't seem to mind having your basic rights taken away. That is why this is a gun free state. Your basic right to protect yourself has been taken away.

But you still did not answer the question...just because some people are not very good at doing something why should everyone be punished for it? It is a known fact that teenage boys cause the most wrecks and collect the most speeding tickets and DWI's...so should we pass a law banning all teenage boys from driving? Even though it sounds like a good idea do you think taking all teenage boys rights to drive away is the way to solve the issue?

I am glad Texas allows people to use their cell phone while driving. If you can handle it great but it you can't then don't...pull over and use it instead.

I still use mine sometimes while driving in CA Actually many people do Interesting that I have never been involved in a wreck or any type of driving offense during all of the years I used my cell phone while driving. I am sure there are many others who can claim this as well.
Well, I haven't lived there for 34 years, so more than 1/2 my life has been spent in Texas. Therefore, I doubt I'm "California conditioned", whatever in the heck that means. I suppose I'm not southern conditioned either and again, whatever that means.

I just don't believe people should talk on cell phones and drive; it has nothing to do with the law in CA. I kind of answered the question, but I'll try again to appease you. It's true not all should be punished because of irresponsible teens, drunks, and the like, but I don't feel it punishment to ban cell phone use while driving. I mean really ... not having a cell phone is punishment? Anything that can be done to avoid distraction should be done. Law dodgers will do what they want anyway, hence the reason people speed, drink and drive, etc.

Kudos to you for not having an accident or getting ticketed. It's kind of like people who use chainsaws and never have an accident even though they're dangerous or the drunk driver who has avoided "getting caught" or being involved in a tragedy ... something like that anyway.

I hope that helps you to understand what I'm trying to say. What I say doesn't matter anyway as I'm only responsible for myself and my actions. There's a quote my parents taught be long, long ago and it goes something like this:

"The true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching." Yep, I've faltered much, but I try to remember the good advice my parents taught me (conservative by the way) growing up in CA so many years ago.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Where I worked 10 years ago talking on the cell phone while driving was a fireable offense if they found out such as if you had an accident.

If you respect risk and believe in safety, you wont talk on a cell while driving and certainly dont text.

I worked for decades in very dangerous places and you learn to respect risk and to take precautions. My car and tires are in tip top shape and designed to handle good at high speeds but the huge risks are the drivers around you many of whom are on cells and some maybe texting as noted. Be prepared with your vehicle in good shape for these speeds but drive far away as you can from these traffic clumps...

knock on wood, one accident 40 years ago and none since ..
I totally agree with you. I've been driving for nearly 48 years and have never had an accident ... knocking double on wood. I've had one ticket in CA, one for going 50 in a 35 and a warning (I think it was just a warning - long time ago) for not making a complete stop (also in CA) at a stop sign. I was like 19 when I got the ticket and 22 for the warning. I learned my lesson quickly.

Thank you for a common sense and responsible post, very refreshing indeed in this day and age.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:09 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,449,471 times
Quote:
Kudos to you for not having an accident or getting ticketed. It's kind of like people who use chainsaws and never have an accident even though they're dangerous or the drunk driver who has avoided "getting caught" or being involved in a tragedy ... something like that anyway.
Actually no it is nothing like that

Quote:
I hope that helps you to understand what I'm trying to say. What I say doesn't matter anyway as I'm only responsible for myself and my actions. There's a quote my parents taught be long, long ago and it goes something like this:

"The true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching." Yep, I've faltered much, but I try to remember the good advice my parents taught me (conservative by the way) growing up in CA so many years ago.
No need to advertise that you're conservative...your entire post screams it More and more the conservatives are chipping away at our basic rights. That is why it cracks me up that Californians think they live in liberal land...over regualation is not liberal.

BTW I'm not looking to be appeased. I just wanted to hear the rationale for taking away a person’s right to use a cell phone while driving. So far you have not provided anything that sounds rational only calling people idiots who do would use a cell phone while driving. What is wrong with leaving work and not planning on stopping at the store or even thinking about a store and then you see your store in the horizon and wonder if your partner needs anything and who is still at work. So you call them to find out if there is anything they need from the store before passing it by and getting home? Wow that is so horrendous and irresponsible and deserves a huge fine. The only times I have used the cell phone while driving is either in that scenario or if I am running late to an appointment due to unforeseen traffic or an accident…I like to call and let people know that I am running late. There are many examples of when people need to use a cell phone for a quick call. No one should have this right taken away from them or fined a huge amount (what I call being punished) Thank goodness Texas allows the use of a cell phone! Amen to that one! It is not against the law!

Funny you claim that all things distracting should be banned from drivers...so should rambunctious kids or dogs...screaming babies…TV’s and stereos, smoking cigarettes or opening a bottle of water also be banned?...since those are more distracting then using a cell phone to make a quick call.

Ok now back to the topic. If they want to raise it to 85 then so be it most are driving at that speed on open highways already.

Last edited by TVC15; 06-10-2012 at 07:43 PM..

Old 06-10-2012, 08:03 PM

You have it your way, I'll have it mine, and never the twain shall meet.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:14 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
You have it your way, I'll have it mine, and never the twain shall meet.
But you are not having it your way...it is not against the law to talk on a cell phone while driving in Texas.

Back to that 85mph discussion...like one poster said if you don't like it then please stay to the far right.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
But you are not having it your way...it is not against the law to talk on a cell phone while driving in Texas.

Back to that 85mph discussion...like one poster said if you don't like it then please stay to the far right.
Of course I am as are you. I will stay off a cell phone in Texas where it's okay to be on one and you will stay on a cell phone in California where it's not okay to be on one ... perfect solutions.

I wouldn't have it any other way than to stay on the far right. That is so not a problem.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Of course I am as are you. I will stay off a cell phone in Texas where it's okay to be on one and you will stay on a cell phone in California where it's not okay to be on one ... perfect solutions.

I wouldn't have it any other way than to stay on the far right. That is so not a problem.
Awesome!

BTW I don't "stay" on my cell phone here...only use it to make a quick call not a long converstion

Old 06-11-2012, 04:47 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
If they decide to do this, then they need to make rules for the road. I read the autobahn rules last night and they stated that cars and trucks pulling trailers could not drive as fast as they want. I believe it was somewhere between 60-70mph. 18 wheeler's have to stay in the right lane and are also speed limited. They can pass slower traffic though. Actually noone is allowed to drive in the left lane....only pass. You get a ticket if the cops see you hanging out in the fast lane, even if you are driving 100+. Everyone in Germany is required to be cpr certified to get a licence. You must stop and render aid for an accident whether you are involved or not. You will get a ticket if you run out of gas on the autobahn. Tailgating and flashing headlights at people is frowned upon. The suggested speed on the autobahn in the zones with no speed limit is 81, but it's only a suggestion. Speed limits are enforced through cities and towns and where road conditions warrant slower speeds. If you have tires on your car that can't t handle high speeds, such as snow tires then you have to have a special sticker on your windshielld. I wonder what people in Texas would do if they had laws like that put in place before they raise the speed limit.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
If they decide to do this, then they need to make rules for the road. I read the autobahn rules last night and they stated that cars and trucks pulling trailers could not drive as fast as they want. I believe it was somewhere between 60-70mph. 18 wheeler's have to stay in the right lane and are also speed limited. They can pass slower traffic though. Actually noone is allowed to drive in the left lane....only pass. You get a ticket if the cops see you hanging out in the fast lane, even if you are driving 100+. Everyone in Germany is required to be cpr certified to get a licence. You must stop and render aid for an accident whether you are involved or not. You will get a ticket if you run out of gas on the autobahn. Tailgating and flashing headlights at people is frowned upon. The suggested speed on the autobahn in the zones with no speed limit is 81, but it's only a suggestion. Speed limits are enforced through cities and towns and where road conditions warrant slower speeds. If you have tires on your car that can't t handle high speeds, such as snow tires then you have to have a special sticker on your windshielld. I wonder what people in Texas would do if they had laws like that put in place before they raise the speed limit.
They'd fuss, moan, and complain and call the rules "stupid." I wonder if the Germans fuss, moan, and complain too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas