Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 09:23 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,304,323 times

Advertisements

I don't care about the speed limit.
My issue is "Why is the speed limit raised only on a toll road to benefit a private company???"

Why is it that our government (Texas government) only improve things when somebody (toll road) is going to make money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 10:31 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,962,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
If they decide to do this, then they need to make rules for the road. I read the autobahn rules last night and they stated that cars and trucks pulling trailers could not drive as fast as they want. I believe it was somewhere between 60-70mph. 18 wheeler's have to stay in the right lane and are also speed limited. They can pass slower traffic though. Actually noone is allowed to drive in the left lane....only pass. You get a ticket if the cops see you hanging out in the fast lane, even if you are driving 100+. Everyone in Germany is required to be cpr certified to get a licence. You must stop and render aid for an accident whether you are involved or not. You will get a ticket if you run out of gas on the autobahn. Tailgating and flashing headlights at people is frowned upon. The suggested speed on the autobahn in the zones with no speed limit is 81, but it's only a suggestion. Speed limits are enforced through cities and towns and where road conditions warrant slower speeds. If you have tires on your car that can't t handle high speeds, such as snow tires then you have to have a special sticker on your windshielld. I wonder what people in Texas would do if they had laws like that put in place before they raise the speed limit.
I wish these rules were enforced here. It makes traffic flow so orderly, with people always yielding to faster traffic. Germans understand traffic flows at higher speeds and to keep slower traffic to the right. We got too many entitled people in America.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:30 AM

816 posts, read 1,948,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
The number of people who died in car accidents is closing in on all-time lows (not including adjustments for millions of miles driven and population increases by which driving now is so much safer than it was in the past it's not even funny) so the gov't should just declare the war won and strongly police the laws in place but really doesn't need to add new ones about texting and driving.

1957 38,702
1963 43,564
1964 47,700
1965 49,163
1966 51,524
1967 51,559
1968 53,831
.... 38k-40k per year every year....
2006 38,648
2007 37,435
2008 34,172
2009 33,808
2010 32,788
Wow! Not only that but the population of the U.S. since 1950 has doubled.

Cars are getting safer, everyone. Like I said, drive carefully and be aware of the surroundings. You will be just fine.

Speed does NOT kill.

Can anyone guess why I got in an accident once?

Old 06-12-2012, 10:49 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,704,369 times
Hmmmmm....maybe you took your eyes off the road? Speed in and of itself doesn't kill, just like guns don't kill. It's people that do idiotic things with either of them that do. Speed also would seem to up the odds of dying if you or someone else do something stupid that causes an accident.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:21 AM

816 posts, read 1,948,277 times
Quote:
Hmmmmm....maybe you took your eyes off the road? Speed in and of itself doesn't kill, just like guns don't kill. It's people that do idiotic things with either of them that do. Speed also would seem to up the odds of dying if you or someone else do something stupid that causes an accident.
I agree.

Good try though. The car was apparently on the freaking shoulder of the major highway and decide to make a U-turn to go the opposite direction and I went right toward her. I was going the speed limit or under. Luckily, I was fine with no bruises. She was just some white-trash lady who had no insurance.

Head-on crash are far more dangerous than speeding.

Bring it on 85 mph!

Old 06-12-2012, 02:06 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,423,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
I wish these rules were enforced here. It makes traffic flow so orderly, with people always yielding to faster traffic. Germans understand traffic flows at higher speeds and to keep slower traffic to the right. We got too many entitled people in America.
Did you read all of those rules? I'm willing to bet, based on your past posts, that you'd be whining about more than a couple of them, if they were required for you.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Exactly!

Old 06-12-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Did you read all of those rules? I'm willing to bet, based on your past posts, that you'd be whining about more than a couple of them, if they were required for you.
Please explain. Only thing on that list I don't agree with is the flashing headlights. That should be allowed to the slow pokes who want to crowd the left lanes.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:25 PM

See below.

Actually noone is allowed to drive in the left lane....only pass. You get a ticket if the cops see you hanging out in the fast lane, even if you are driving 100+. Everyone in Germany is required to be cpr certified to get a licence. You must stop and render aid for an accident whether you are involved or not. You will get a ticket if you run out of gas on the autobahn. Tailgating and flashing headlights at people is frowned upon. Presumably even if they're going slower than you would like. The suggested speed on the autobahn in the zones with no speed limit is 81, but it's only a suggestion. Speed limits are enforced through cities and towns and where road conditions warrant slower speeds.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
See below.

Actually noone is allowed to drive in the left lane....only pass. You get a ticket if the cops see you hanging out in the fast lane, even if you are driving 100+. Everyone in Germany is required to be cpr certified to get a licence. You must stop and render aid for an accident whether you are involved or not. You will get a ticket if you run out of gas on the autobahn. Tailgating and flashing headlights at people is frowned upon. Presumably even if they're going slower than you would like. The suggested speed on the autobahn in the zones with no speed limit is 81, but it's only a suggestion. Speed limits are enforced through cities and towns and where road conditions warrant slower speeds.

Really? Like I've discussed with you on here time and time and time again, it's all about yielding to faster traffic. I don't left lane hog, so I've got no problem with that rule (and it would help keep people like you out of the left lane, since you have said before that if you come up behind someone going slow in it, you will just stay behind that person and "laugh" at yourself). I really don't have a problem with speed limits, but just how low they are. 70 MPH should be the lowest. And like I've said, on the tollways here in DFW, the speed limit is 70 MPH and the general flow of traffic is between 70-75, with a few flying by at 80+, but not much more than any other freeway. The lowest speed limits on the autobahn are 70+ (was lower back during the 1970s gas crisis, like in America, but the smart Germans changed it once it was over).

Oh, and the flashing headlights thing is wrong actually. You can't tailgate AND flash your lights (too close), but you can flash your lights from a safe distance to tell the other driver that you're coming and they should yield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas