Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2017, 10:20 PM

256 posts, read 474,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Looks like you missed a few. Most notably the Dior flagship in River Oaks District.
What others would you consider I to be missing?

The Dior in Houston has been on the list for a while, under Christian Dior. The Houston store although in its own building is not what I would consider a flagship store. Even just a quick glance online shows that the Dallas store carries lines that Houston does not including the exclusive Exotic Leathers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 11:03 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
If anything returns to the market, I'd imagine it would be Bloomingdales.
Bloomingdales? That's a modern(-ist), true-blue, bi-coastal chain. I doubt that it would appeal to conservative Dallasites' traditionalist decor/tastes. It might have an easier time in Houston with all the young people here.

The store seems to be shifting to appeal to hipsters/yuppies. Their newest L.A. stores in Glendale and Santa Monica are acid-washed polished concrete floors and ironic youth-oriented displays and merchandise. In contrast, the Century City store seems to stay in the traditional polished, sophisticated checkerboard tile look. But that is a whole another level of Bloomingdales!

Old 12-02-2017, 10:50 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Bloomingdales? That's a modern(-ist), true-blue, bi-coastal chain. I doubt that it would appeal to conservative Dallasites' traditionalist decor/tastes. It might have an easier time in Houston with all the young people here.

The store seems to be shifting to appeal to hipsters/yuppies. Their newest L.A. stores in Glendale and Santa Monica are acid-washed polished concrete floors and ironic youth-oriented displays and merchandise. In contrast, the Century City store seems to stay in the traditional polished, sophisticated checkerboard tile look. But that is a whole another level of Bloomingdales!
We don't have that demographic in Dallas?

Old 12-03-2017, 11:34 PM

Quote:
We don't have that demographic in Dallas?
In L.A., you really have to bring your A-game. Century City is a whole another level of upscale that cannot be found in Texas, even in Houston and Dallas. (Even Rodeo Drive is being ceded to tourists; the locals have moved on to C.C.) Caruso's Grove and Americana are also worth an honorable mention for the immersive 1920's-1930's Art Deco architecture.

Dallas tends to stick to the traditional, WASP-y Southern fashion sense. Dillard's is a good example of that style.

Bloomingdales is iconoclastic; well suited for the coasts. They have already closed most of their Middle America stores a few years ago (and declined to build their first western store outside of California, in Phoenix, as the recession started).

Old 12-04-2017, 08:15 PM

But I wouldn't say Houston has a hip young demographic that Dallas doesn't as was implied earlier.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:44 PM

Quote:
But I wouldn't say Houston has a hip young demographic that Dallas doesn't as was implied earlier.
The Westside is so affluent that it makes River Oaks and the Park Cities middle-class.

But recently Houston has been attracting the young, while Dallas was chasing corporate relocations--different strategies. But if Bloomingdales has been trying to attract a younger crowd evidenced with the SoHo store and cumulating in the Glendale and Santa Monica stores, Houston would be a far likely contender to land Bloomingdales with the demographics.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:43 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,405,851 times
Quote:
Century City is a whole another level of upscale that cannot be found in Texas
What? Are you referring to some other Century City mall than the one on Santa Monica Blvd in LA? That place is like a mid-tier mall, like StoneBriar in Frisco or maybe the Dallas Galleria since it has fallen so far. It doesn't compete with fancy malls.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:36 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
What? Are you referring to some other Century City mall than the one on Santa Monica Blvd in LA? That place is like a mid-tier mall, like StoneBriar in Frisco or maybe the Dallas Galleria since it has fallen so far. It doesn't compete with fancy malls.
I wouldn't put Westfield Century City to that level at all. It is definitely above Stonebriar and the Dallas Galleria. Those malls you named are more akin to say Westfield Culver City or Westfield Arcadia. Century City is like a hybrid between Northpark and Stonebriar.

It's also false to say that the locals have completely abandoned Rodeo Drive. Still plenty of shopping down in that area (just maybe not on Rodeo).

Old 12-05-2017, 10:32 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,405,851 times
Quote:
It is definitely above Stonebriar and the Dallas Galleria.
I guess... I didn't see any fancy stores on their listing, and going there is totally unremarkable, unlike a place like say Fashion Island maybe.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
The Westside is so affluent that it makes River Oaks and the Park Cities middle-class.

But recently Houston has been attracting the young, while Dallas was chasing corporate relocations--different strategies. But if Bloomingdales has been trying to attract a younger crowd evidenced with the SoHo store and cumulating in the Glendale and Santa Monica stores, Houston would be a far likely contender to land Bloomingdales with the demographics.
Dallas like Austin just attracts young professionals for what it has to offer. The city doesn't have to do it.

Central Dallas in particular is full of young professionals from all over. I'm not sure your view of Houston to Dallas is accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas