Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can you be a "true" Texan if you were born elsewhere?
Yes! 47 53.41%
No 25 28.41%
Maybe (Explain) 16 18.18%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 10:45 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times

Advertisements

I know people born and raised in Texas, but they're not your typical Texans/southerners. So, being born here means nothing, really. My two Texan great-nieces were both born in England, but that doesn't mean they have the mentality or culture of the Brits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 09:48 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
What is the typical Texan? This whole cowboy/country thing is only one aspect of it. It's mostly out of tradition that we tend to look fondly at the image of it being the "true" Texan. But then I also think about Selena, Beyoncé, the Houston hip hop scene that put Texas on the map. I think of ZZ Top, Richard Linklater the famous movie director, Robert Rodriguez, Bill Moyers, Molly Ivins, etc etc etc

Old 06-19-2015, 04:59 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
What is the typical Texan? This whole cowboy/country thing is only one aspect of it. It's mostly out of tradition that we tend to look fondly at the image of it being the "true" Texan. But then I also think about Selena, Beyoncé, the Houston hip hop scene that put Texas on the map. I think of ZZ Top, Richard Linklater the famous movie director, Robert Rodriguez, Bill Moyers, Molly Ivins, etc etc etc
The Houston "hip hop scene put Texas on the map"? lol

Never heard of it. Texas was on the map long before you think, but all of what you mention are certainly modern Texas icons. I love it all. (Didn't know Beyoncé is a Texan, though ).

Old 06-19-2015, 06:00 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times
I thought it was ingrained in anyone's memory who lived in Texas for more than 2 years that Beyonce was Texan, maybe it is just Houstonians.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:07 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post

Never heard of it. Texas was on the map long before you think, but all of what you mention are certainly modern Texas icons. I love it all. (Didn't know Beyoncé is a Texan, though ).
As far as hip hop, yes. That's what I meant to say. Before that it was only Geto boys and Scarface.

Beyoncé is all Houston and proud.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:02 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,037,926 times
Quote:

Actually the Houston hip hop scene did put Texas on the map. The first successful southern rap group the geto boys in the late 80s is from there. A lot of artist from other regions pay their respects to Houston hip hop culture.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:26 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
Quote:

mrfoe is trying to say that it put Texas on the "rap map".

But, yes, we've been on the actual map for centuries now.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:46 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
I wasn't born here, but I've been here since I was two or three months old. Does that mean I'm not a true Texan?

On another note, I rarely buy Blue Bell Ice Cream. I usually buy HEB's Creamy Creations.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:55 AM

875 posts, read 1,661,656 times
Okay! This thread has sparked up conversations between me and many of my friends and family who are natives, and ALL of them agreed that you have to be born here, some said its "somewhat" disrespectful to claim a place you are not from....and I agree. You don't play around with that kind of stuff..

I mean some folks may be nice and tell you "awww that cute" but some folks would be offended by it...

Old 06-21-2015, 12:12 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
Okay! This thread has sparked up conversations between me and many of my friends and family who are natives, and ALL of them agreed that you have to be born here, some said its "somewhat" disrespectful to claim a place you are not from....and I agree. You don't play around with that kind of stuff..

I mean some folks may be nice and tell you "awww that cute" but some folks would be offended by it...
I was born in a foreign country because my father was in the military. Does that mean I'm not American? I don't even qualify for citizenship in my country of birth. Does that mean the people who are defending our country are having non-American babies overseas? No, it doesn't. The only qualification for being American is citizenship. Even if you aren't a citizen, if American culture is all you know, then you are American. The same logic can be applied to any location. I've been in Texas since I was a baby. That is the only state culture I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas