Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has character and awsome scenery
Longview 10 24.39%
Nacogdoches 15 36.59%
Lufkin 3 7.32%
Neither 13 31.71%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 07:58 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times

Advertisements

We don't WANT a freeway through the middle of Tyler, Dee. What's so difficult to understand about that? Tyler is growing in leaps and bounds without having an interstate highway running right through the middle of town.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:34 AM

1,064 posts, read 1,905,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
We don't WANT a freeway through the middle of Tyler, Dee. What's so difficult to understand about that? Tyler is growing in leaps and bounds without having an interstate highway running right through the middle of town.
OK

Old 03-11-2016, 06:56 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,792,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I know you put it in quotations but your giving that area too much credit just by entertaining the mere thought of it being a metro area. LMAO
Kind of how I feel about Tyler and Longview being called metropolitan areas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
LMAO, I'll give you credit you've said the exact same thing about Tyler going on 2 years now if i'm not mistaken. Consistency is definitely not the key this go around though. LOL

I'm from Longview but I can speak on behalf of Tyler even though it'll make no difference in your eye's but this is for people who are just observing this trainwreck(and for entertainment purposes)

1. Tyler attracts many people of all age groups more so then Nac.
2. Most establishments even in major cities close normally at 10:00. What else is open on average after 10:00 in Nac? A few hole in the wall bars and rinky dink clubs that cater to the college students(which it's not a true representation of a night life especially when most students at SFA go back home during the summer time)
3.Flat is Houston, Tyler is not flat might not be as hilly as Nac but flat wouldn't come to mind and Tyler bar none is the best looking city in East Texas.
4. How many tourist are flocking to Nac? I'm actually willing to bet Tyler has more tourist then Nac on the account of the Tyler Zoo alone.
6. Nac has freeway action? What is freeway action? I've lived in Houston and I reside in Atlanta now, nothing freeway or action about Nac what's so ever.
7. Yeah the Blueberry Festivals get's people from all over the world!!! (sarcastic tone btw)
11. What city doesn't have stop lights? New York City has stop lights but I guess Nac is just much faster then the city that never sleeps?
For my money it's Nacogdoches easily. Taller hills, more trees, etc. Tyler has more beautiful homes, though.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Right - and I guess it's also absolutely possible for a meteor to hit Washington, DC.

And furthermore, even if it did manage to happen, none of us typing on this forum will be around to see it - I'm pretty sure about that. So it's a non issue to me.
I might be. I'm only 28, and people in my family live well into their 90s , so I've got plenty of time to see Nac realize its potential.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Kind of how I feel about Tyler and Longview being called metropolitan areas
The US Census Bureau has designated Tyler and Longview as metro areas. I guess you just need to accept that fact, because that's what it is. A fact.

That doesn't mean that Tyler or Longview are superior - that's far too broad a term to apply. They're bigger. They offer more amenities due to their size. They have a broader economic base. More diversity of jobs and that sort of thing. Due to size. Not due to character of the people, or the landscape, or the beauty of the terrain or surroundings. Simply size. It is what it is.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I might be. I'm only 28, and people in my family live well into their 90s , so I've got plenty of time to see Nac realize its potential.
I hope the best for you. I'm 54. Most people in my family also live well into their 90s. I wish the towns of Nac and Lufkin and their inhabitants good fortune but it really doesn't matter to me much one way or the other and will have no impact on either my happiness or sorrow over the coming decades. Meanwhile, I've probably got another 40 years left in me to enjoy the amenities of northeast Texas - or anyplace else I choose to live (though it's highly unlikely I'll ever choose to live further south in Texas, unless I wander off to the Hill Country one day).

Old 03-11-2016, 07:20 AM

Quote:
The US Census Bureau has designated Tyler and Longview as metro areas. I guess you just need to accept that fact, because that's what it is. A fact.
I'm aware of that fact, but is Tyler more like other metro areas such as Chicago or Miami, or is it more like Nacogdoches? You get my drift.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:28 AM

Quote:
I hope the best for you. I'm 54. Most people in my family also live well into their 90s. I wish the towns of Nac and Lufkin and their inhabitants good fortune but it really doesn't matter to me much one way or the other and will have no impact on either my happiness or sorrow over the coming decades. Meanwhile, I've probably got another 40 years left in me to enjoy the amenities of northeast Texas - or anyplace else I choose to live (though it's highly unlikely I'll ever choose to live further south in Texas, unless I wander off to the Hill Country one day).
I love Northeast Texas, too. Honestly, everything from Texarkana to Port Arthur is awesome in its own way. Best part of Texas

Old 03-11-2016, 08:14 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,142,203 times
Tyler and Longview are definitely metro areas as defined by the U.S. census. In other states Tyler, and even Longview would be considered among the larger cities in the state. I know if places like Roanoke, Lynchburg, VA or Springfield, Missouri can be considered metros in their regions, Tyler and Longview definitely would be.

Old 03-11-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Tyler and Longview are definitely metro areas as defined by the U.S. census. In other states Tyler, and even Longview would be considered among the larger cities in the state. I know if places like Roanoke, Lynchburg, VA or Springfield, Missouri can be considered metros in their regions, Tyler and Longview definitely would be.
I think one difference is that those cities are more isolated away from other urban centers, so they have a much larger sphere of influence than Tyler which has Dallas just two hours away and several other similarly sized urban areas two hours in the other direction.

I do know Tyler/Longview offer a lot, but for me both feel more like large towns than small cities. The main reason is the extremely low density sprawl that's pretty common for all of East Texas really.

As far as character goes, Marshall and Jefferson are the historical pillars of Northeast Texas and their proximity to Caddo Lake makes that area the most charming, imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas