Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has character and awsome scenery
Longview 10 24.39%
Nacogdoches 15 36.59%
Lufkin 3 7.32%
Neither 13 31.71%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 04:09 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,142,203 times

Advertisements

Well SFA has an enrollment of 11,600...and TJC has an enrollment of 12,000, so technically................ .. .

Old 03-16-2016, 04:12 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,087,407 times
Just to throw this in, Tyler has more than 20,000 college students, U.T. Tyler last fall 8,800 growing about 500 per year. Now College of Pharmacy added, more additions coming.
Tyler Junior College is a two-year community college in Tyler, Texas, United States. TJC is one of the largest community colleges in Texas, with an enrollment of more than 12,000 credit students each ... Wikipedia

Not counting a small number at Texas College. Adds to almost 22,000 just saying, no not a one school.

I think the number thing makes it a "major university". Ok, I can buy that, no problem, I can agree. lol

Old 03-16-2016, 04:26 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,905,150 times
[quote=Mark Senior;43381480]Just to throw this in, Tyler has more than 20,000 college students, U.T. Tyler last fall 8,800 growing about 500 per year. Now College of Pharmacy added, more additions coming. Tyler Junior College 10,000 to 12,000 hard to get the exact figure. Not counting a small number at Texas College.

I think the number thing makes it a "major university". Ok, I can buy that, no problem, I can agree. lol
Nacogdoches is has the largest campus and stilling growing with three new dorms and two parking garages
and people take classes online at SFA and it does have a great football and basket ball program.U.T of Tyler don't have a football team lmao etc.........Ok again Nac has a tech school and AC branch here so we boast more then one college lol.Tyler has a older crowd and Nac has a younger crowd the stat's show.

Now if Tyler had a better scenery and better clubs and more festivities and more younger people to vibe with then maybe I would choose Tyler but untill then NO!

Oh yeah I actually work at UT of Tyler and baby it is not enough room for 20 nothing thousand lol but good one.Stephen F.Austin had the only Tallest building between Shereveport and Houston and no Tyler skyline was sitting to high.

Anyone that want to know the truth of SFA being a major UNIV. goggle.

Old 03-16-2016, 05:50 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,792,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Well SFA has an enrollment of 11,600...and TJC has an enrollment of 12,000, so technically................ .. .
Ywah, but junior college =/= university, in the grand scope of things.

As it turns out Nacogdoches may actually be the most educated town in East Texas, with 31.5% of the population holding a bachelor degree or higher; compared to Tyler with 28.5% and Longview at 17.8%.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:21 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,142,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Ywah, but junior college =/= university, in the grand scope of things.

As it turns out Nacogdoches may actually be the most educated town in East Texas, with 31.5% of the population holding a bachelor degree or higher; compared to Tyler with 28.5% and Longview at 17.8%.

I thought u said SFA was "larger than anything Tyler has..."?...in which case it isn't really any larger than anything Tyler has. Larger than any university in Tyler? sure..but it's definitely not larger than anything Tyler has. But then again, if semantics are the issue then we shouldn't even be discussing higher education at all, since neither SFA nor TJC are considered major universities anyway, as was the initial claim made about SFA.

But it makes sense that Nacogdoches is the most educated city in east Texas though. It's only other real competition for Bachelor degrees in East Texas is Huntsville (and to a lesser extent Lamar if you include Southeast Texas) which is effectively just a commuter school for students and faculty from Houston & College Station. At SFA, once you're there, you're there until you decide to uproot and move. Huntsville is a literal ghost town on weekends and during the summer. So I would definitely say hats off to Nacogdoches in that regard.

Of course, on the flipside, one could also say that Tyler, even with a university that has an undergrad population of half that of SFA's, is still roughly neck and neck on a percentage basis with a town that has its own much larger baccalaureate institution.

Last edited by soletaire; 03-16-2016 at 07:39 PM..

Old 03-16-2016, 09:17 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,087,407 times
[quote=dee936;43381655]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Just to throw this in, Tyler has more than 20,000 college students, U.T. Tyler last fall 8,800 growing about 500 per year. Now College of Pharmacy added, more additions coming. Tyler Junior College 10,000 to 12,000 hard to get the exact figure. Not counting a small number at Texas College.

Nacogdoches is has the largest campus and stilling growing with three new dorms and two parking garages
and people take classes online at SFA and it does have a great football and basket ball program.U.T of Tyler don't have a football team lmao etc.........Ok again Nac has a tech school and AC branch here so we boast more then one college lol.Tyler has a older crowd and Nac has a younger crowd the stat's show.

Now if Tyler had a better scenery and better clubs and more festivities and more younger people to vibe with then maybe I would choose Tyler but untill then NO!

Oh yeah I actually work at UT of Tyler and baby it is not enough room for 20 nothing thousand lol but good one.Stephen F.Austin had the only Tallest building between Shereveport and Houston and no Tyler skyline was sitting to high.

Anyone that want to know the truth of SFA being a major UNIV. goggle.
You misunderstood and then added something, which not unusual to make Nac look better, larger. But you are being a little be fairer, I will hand it to you.

However if you will reread, I did not say UT Tyler had or would have 20,000 to 22,000 students. Read again. As far as I know the Bank of America downtown Tyler has 22 stories. The Dorms on SFA campus, I really don't know. You can support that if you want add something to the subject. Like proof of how many feet tall are each? You're doing better keep up the good work.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:21 PM

[quote=Mark Senior;43384646]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post

You misunderstood and then added something, which not unusual to make Nac look better, larger. But you are being a little be fairer, I will hand it to you.

However if you will reread, I did not say UT Tyler had or would have 20,000 to 22,000 students. Read again. As far as I know the Bank of America downtown Tyler has 22 stories. The Dorms on SFA campus, I really don't know. You can support that if you want add something to the subject. Like proof of how many feet tall are each? You're doing better keep up the good work.
Google it lol!!!!
In my Beyonce' voice.........

Old 03-16-2016, 11:43 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,566,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
Stephen F.Austin had the only Tallest building between Shereveport and Houston and no Tyler skyline was sitting to high.
Tyler has 7 buildings (252', 202', 187', 180', 150', 150', 142') taller than SFA's two 10 story dorms (122').

Old 03-17-2016, 12:34 AM

4,383 posts, read 4,626,910 times
The fact that both Nacogdoches residents are bringing up SFA now just further proves my original point that Nac has nothing else going for itself but SFA and it's history. And don't get it twisted, I have not a single form of hate for any city or town in East Texas. When you move outside the Piney Woods you learn to appreciate all of it for what it is. Matter fact I stopped disliking certain cities in East Texas once I graduated Longview High School and realized that was only high school football rivalry(Which Nac dragons were always at the bottom of that how ironic lol). But I have to call a spade a spade. Nac is a charming town(hell what city or town doesn't have some kind of charm to it in East Texas). East Texas is not full of bland suburbs, they all have they're unique flare about them. Nac is definitely not short of that. However here's the think Gunion and especially Dee are trying to make Nac something that it is definitely not.

See I have alot of friends from Longview,Marshall and Tyler who went to school at SFA. I know people from Dallas and Houston who went to SFA as well. Let me tell you, they enjoyed they're time at SFA, but didn't care for Nacogdoches. Basically they'res SFA and then they'res Nacogdoches. And once most graduate they move back to they're hometowns or move to Dallas or Houston. Matter fact my cousin is a famous SFA alumni(I won't tell you who he is) but he shared the same sentiments. Alot of people from Longview,Tyler and Marshall went to SFA because it was a good school and it was a convenient location. Nacogdoches wasn't a big draw because it was a "up and coming city". I mean what would convince somebody who is not elderly or a college student to move to Nac over any other city in East Texas.

You would think with Nac being so youthful that some of that youthful energy would spill into the social scene and businesses in Nac but it doesn't. Mostly 2 separate entities. Meanwhile I can applaud young entrepreneurs coming out or to Longview to really create some innovative and creative businesses in the city. For decades I always felt like Longview was 2 years behind Tyler as far as attracting businesses in the city that you would find right up I-20 West. Usually that's how it would go, if Tyler got a national chain first then we knew it would be 2 or 3 years till Longview get's that same chain. In recent years the Longview economic development corp. has did much much better attracting businesses to enhance the city and atleast add a little something to the nightlife. People in Longview get tired of driving to Shreveport or Dallas every other weekend so people are deciding to build it in Longview. I hear young entrepreneurs talk use terms like "entertainment district", "revitalizing downtown" and things of that nature. I can only assume the same thing is happening in Tyler as well.

Old 03-17-2016, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
The fact that both Nacogdoches residents are bringing up SFA now just further proves my original point that Nac has nothing else going for itself but SFA and it's history. And don't get it twisted, I have not a single form of hate for any city or town in East Texas. When you move outside the Piney Woods you learn to appreciate all of it for what it is. Matter fact I stopped disliking certain cities in East Texas once I graduated Longview High School and realized that was only high school football rivalry(Which Nac dragons were always at the bottom of that how ironic lol). But I have to call a spade a spade. Nac is a charming town(hell what city or town doesn't have some kind of charm to it in East Texas). East Texas is not full of bland suburbs, they all have they're unique flare about them. Nac is definitely not short of that. However here's the think Gunion and especially Dee are trying to make Nac something that it is definitely not.

See I have alot of friends from Longview,Marshall and Tyler who went to school at SFA. I know people from Dallas and Houston who went to SFA as well. Let me tell you, they enjoyed they're time at SFA, but didn't care for Nacogdoches. Basically they'res SFA and then they'res Nacogdoches. And once most graduate they move back to they're hometowns or move to Dallas or Houston. Matter fact my cousin is a famous SFA alumni(I won't tell you who he is) but he shared the same sentiments. Alot of people from Longview,Tyler and Marshall went to SFA because it was a good school and it was a convenient location. Nacogdoches wasn't a big draw because it was a "up and coming city". I mean what would convince somebody who is not elderly or a college student to move to Nac over any other city in East Texas.

You would think with Nac being so youthful that some of that youthful energy would spill into the social scene and businesses in Nac but it doesn't. Mostly 2 separate entities. Meanwhile I can applaud young entrepreneurs coming out or to Longview to really create some innovative and creative businesses in the city. For decades I always felt like Longview was 2 years behind Tyler as far as attracting businesses in the city that you would find right up I-20 West. Usually that's how it would go, if Tyler got a national chain first then we knew it would be 2 or 3 years till Longview get's that same chain. In recent years the Longview economic development corp. has did much much better attracting businesses to enhance the city and atleast add a little something to the nightlife. People in Longview get tired of driving to Shreveport or Dallas every other weekend so people are deciding to build it in Longview. I hear young entrepreneurs talk use terms like "entertainment district", "revitalizing downtown" and things of that nature. I can only assume the same thing is happening in Tyler as well.
Nac is larger then Marshall and doesn't have anything to do with this conversation.
I have lived in Tyler and alot of the people there love and say great things about the city of NAC and also relocating because of the festivities and history.San Antonio has alot of history and Atlanta ga has alot of history so you think just because a city is has alot of history it doesn't draw people lmao.You had to go to school in Cut and Shoot,Tx or Alto,Tx to make it a little better.Nacogdoches is has a construction boom going on all around the city ugh did I mention all around the city and the highway system as well is constructing and advancing the corridors in several areas in Nac.Nac and Lufkin are bring new chains in every month.So that let me know you haven't been in this area in a while lol but it is ok to make up stuff like alot of others.Nac inner city in the loop is just as broad as Tyler so no it doesn't feel any smaller driving around but we all get that Tyler is little large in pop Wow.I-69 is here and connects our area to the 4TH LARGEST CITY AMERICA H-town so yes this area is going to grow and if you are mad talk to the state not me about Nac or Lufkin economic growth.I-69 also well take over the loops of both cities and have a business sector which run through the heart of both cities lol. Houston is growing toward our way but I don't see Dallas going past Mesquite toward Tyler.You must don't pay attention to your surroundings but I do.Tyler has set on I-20 for how many years and haven't done as much as it can do.Nacogdoches and Lufkin trade area numbers are not small supporting almost a half of a million people so yea they both are going to grow.Nac and Lufkin are picking up the freeway pattern which as time goes on make them more attractive to business then Tyler because the city sit south of the gold spot and have had many years to annex I-20 and proceed to major city but choose not to.

That shows that Tyler is ran by people who want it to be just a large town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas