Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 04:12 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,017,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdlord View Post
He clearly is serious. The guy is going on for half a dozen posts about the almighty UT. I'm sorry it's embarrassing to you but from my experience this is typical Texan behavior.
Even though your posts read a lot like the irrational and overly biased ramblings of a certain someone who used to post in here too. How could the irrational rambling of a poster who inserts ra-ra Texas in some of the posts be remotely like the "typical texan"? Most of the people in here just told you that UT / = Harvard. Most have said it's a good state school but no Harvard or even no Rice.

Thanks for playing I Love Buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 04:20 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,758,146 times
The answer to that question is absolutely NOT. Rice is the closest thing Texas has to an Ivy League. UT and the other state schools are not even remotely close.

Old 08-12-2016, 04:26 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,784,890 times
Quote:
He clearly is serious. The guy is going on for half a dozen posts about the almighty UT. I'm sorry it's embarrassing to you but from my experience this is typical Texan behavior.
Seriously Nerd. Get it right (once). He's extolling the virtues of UH.

Comparing UH to UT is like comparing Northridge to CAL.

His "behavior" is one of a Troll & his opinions are out there....but at least he's informed.

(unlike you who has apparently wandered into the Texas forum, glanced thru a few posts....and has shouted out "Banana").

Old 08-12-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
The answer to that question is absolutely NOT. Rice is the closest thing Texas has to an Ivy League. UT and the other state schools are not even remotely close.
Well dang Peter, don't make it seem as though there is no merit in being so distant from Harvard. UT-Austin still produces talent. I wouldn't say it's night and day. To me, in my opinion Stanford is the best school in the country. Actually most colleges these days are academically trendy and don't hold a candle to the innovation of yesteryear. I love reading about the hey day of City College of New York and when academic thought was grounded in exploring new ideas. Today most campuses seem really trendy, many college kids are padding their resumes, if it wasn't Wall St they were looking to get into before the crash, it's Silicon Valley now.
I know this is silly, but I even see in the quality of writing/comedy in the Simpsons when Conan and his team of Hasty Pudding/Harvard Lampoon writers manned the show. Now writers from the same school have made the show so uninspiring and just following whatever lame trend is in the news. That's how I see a lot of colleges and pop culture in general.

Old 08-12-2016, 07:18 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,262,684 times
The OP asked if UT has the same reputation as Harvard in Texas. Ninety-eight percent of the posters answered the OP's question with a resounding NO. The OP hasn't been back since page 1, three weeks ago. Anything else?

Old 08-12-2016, 08:01 PM

439 posts, read 437,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Seriously Nerd. Get it right (once). He's extolling the virtues of UH.

Comparing UH to UT is like comparing Northridge to CAL.

His "behavior" is one of a Troll & his opinions are out there....but at least he's informed.

(unlike you who has apparently wandered into the Texas forum, glanced thru a few posts....and has shouted out "Banana").
Your ad hominem attack of my character is immature. Before addressing the question by the OP, I defined the question of 'WHAT IS SCHOOL?' Harvard is more similar to a school of training rich kids to maintain empowerment. UT is more of a school of teaching poor kids to advance. I then exposed the Greek bullies at the top of society as the supreme people of understanding over the philosophers and sophists. If you didn't think they knew, they kicked your butt.

Things haven't changed.

Old 08-12-2016, 08:39 PM

Well I can't really disagree with that. Harvard and the Ivies are sort of a boot camp for the elite. Schools such as UT train practical skills into the youth in order to prepare them for more practical positions.

Old 08-13-2016, 02:12 AM

214 posts, read 214,670 times
And you know this because...?

Old 08-13-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
And you know this because...?
The curriculum at most flagship state schools are less theoretical and more practical. Here in CA, employers are more likely to jump at a recent grad from Cal Poly either SLO or Pomona than someone from Stanford or Berkeley.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:01 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,262,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
The curriculum at most flagship state schools are less theoretical and more practical. Here in CA, employers are more likely to jump at a recent grad from Cal Poly either SLO or Pomona than someone from Stanford or Berkeley.
Pssst....Cal Berkeley is a flagship state school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: