Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2016, 09:10 AM

214 posts, read 214,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
The curriculum at most flagship state schools are less theoretical and more practical. Here in CA, employers are more likely to jump at a recent grad from Cal Poly either SLO or Pomona than someone from Stanford or Berkeley.
Uhhh no. Ceteris paribus Stanford and Berkeley is more attractive on a resume than SLO or Pomona. Especially in professional fields. I didn't even bother applying to either of those schools for undergrad. Waste of time when theres the UCs, Stanford, Claremonts, etc available.

*Maybe* to someone in animal husbandry or botany Pomona might be better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 09:29 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,017,051 times
No, the Cal Poly curriculum is very popular among employers especially in engineering ad architecture. It's known in the field as being very practical and students hit the ground running. Employers have told me Berkeley is great but a bit too theoretical. Cal Poly SLO is NOT a waste of money and is seen as being the only Cal State that can go toe to toe with the UCs. Pomona is a notch down but not in the architecture and engineering field.

I take it you're from CA? Is there just something in the water or is it just in the culture for some of you to be so darn snooty. I mean insufferably snooty and guided by image and pop culture? That's of course if you're not just messing with us but how could you downplay the Cal Poly's like that? They're known to be great schools.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:36 PM

M
Quote:
No, the Cal Poly curriculum is very popular among employers especially in engineering ad architecture. It's known in the field as being very practical and students hit the ground running. Employers have told me Berkeley is great but a bit too theoretical. Cal Poly SLO is NOT a waste of money and is seen as being the only Cal State that can go toe to toe with the UCs. Pomona is a notch down but not in the architecture and engineering field.

I take it you're from CA? Is there just something in the water or is it just in the culture for some of you to be so darn snooty. I mean insufferably snooty and guided by image and pop culture? That's of course if you're not just messing with us but how could you downplay the Cal Poly's like that? They're known to be great schools.
Yeah schools like Claremont or Pomona (not cal poly) are super image conscious and in pop culture....

I do think SLO is a good well received school but it's not an elite top 20 school.

And yes when I was applying to schools like Stanford, Cornell, Chicago, wash u, Claremont etc. Cal Poly Pomona would have been a waste of my time because even if accepted there's no chance I would have gone.

Berkeley, UCLA, and UCSD were my safeties.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:46 PM

439 posts, read 437,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdlord View Post
M

Yeah schools like Claremont or Pomona (not cal poly) are super image conscious and in pop culture....

I do think SLO is a good well received school but it's not an elite top 20 school.

And yes when I was applying to schools like Stanford, Cornell, Chicago, wash u, Claremont etc. Cal Poly Pomona would have been a waste of my time because even if accepted there's no chance I would have gone.

Berkeley, UCLA, and UCSD were my safeties.
These last few answers were the definitive kind of responses I mentioned. They are of the declarative variety. In other words, you had better believe the consensus that the Emperor is wearing clothes or else. Yet, long before the disadvantaged began to be passed along in society by affirmative action, the advantaged had long been passed along in similar fashion. That leaves all the basic students in the middle as the only ones having to do their work, study, learn to read and write, pass tests, and maintain a passing gpa.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:04 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,697,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Pssst....Cal Berkeley is a flagship state school.
Too funny! Par for the course.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Pssst....Cal Berkeley is a flagship state school.
Yes it is. I know. But the UCs are on a different level now in terms of their curriculum being less practical and more theoretical than the Cal States. UCLA in the affluent Westwood area looks more like a private school than USC. Cal State LA and Northridge are the state schools lower and middle class kids go to in LA.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Yes it is. I know. But the UCs are on a different level now in terms of their curriculum being less practical and more theoretical than the Cal States. UCLA in the affluent Westwood area looks more like a private school than USC. Cal State LA and Northridge are the state schools lower and middle class kids go to in LA.
Wherever you're getting your information from is very strange.

Smart lower class or middle class kids who go to a community college for 2 years and complete a specific curriculum are guaranteed admission to one of 6 participating UCs.

Even smarter lower class kids are going to elite private schools to get tons of scholarship money thrown at them if they're URMs.

You didn't personally do the college application and interview process in CA, did you? Nor did you grow up in CA and have every single class mate applying to CA schools.

Old 08-15-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdlord View Post
Wherever you're getting your information from is very strange.

Smart lower class or middle class kids who go to a community college for 2 years and complete a specific curriculum are guaranteed admission to one of 6 participating UCs.

Even smarter lower class kids are going to elite private schools to get tons of scholarship money thrown at them if they're URMs.

You didn't personally do the college application and interview process in CA, did you? Nor did you grow up in CA and have every single class mate applying to CA schools.
I said that the cal states are the city colleges in CA UCLA has become a very expensive state school where affluent kids go to. The university even got into some hot water with the state for admitting too many out of state people.

My original point was that Cal Poly both SLO and Pomona are regarded as great bargains by local employers in engineering arch and design and they prefer their grads because they come out hitting the ground running due to the very practical nature of their curriculum.

Even then you're talking about a select few kids that go these select schools. I'm simply talking about people wanting to just go to a local school, get a degree and get a job right after. How are you not following this? The Cal Polys are a great bargain in this regard and match up to the mid tier UCs.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:52 PM

Quote:
I said that the cal states are the city colleges in CA UCLA has become a very expensive state school where affluent kids go to. The university even got into some hot water with the state for admitting too many out of state people.

My original point was that Cal Poly both SLO and Pomona are regarded as great bargains by local employers in engineering arch and design and they prefer their grads because they come out hitting the ground running due to the very practical nature of their curriculum.

Even then you're talking about a select few kids that go these select schools. I'm simply talking about people wanting to just go to a local school, get a degree and get a job right after. How are you not following this? The Cal Polys are a great bargain in this regard and match up to the mid tier UCs.
This is true and I agree with it. But that's not what you originally said.

THIS is what your initial premise was (since you seem to have forgotten)
Quote:
The curriculum at most flagship state schools are less theoretical and more practical. Here in CA, employers are more likely to jump at a recent grad from Cal Poly either SLO or Pomona than someone from Stanford or Berkeley.
You made no mention of majors or costs or "mid-tier" UCs. You made a blanket statement that employers are more interested in graduates from SLO or Pomona than Stanford or Berkeley. This is just patently false and I called you out on it. How are you not following this?

If you want to move the goal posts and change your statement I don't really care. I can only read what your posts say not what you "mean"

Old 08-15-2016, 01:58 PM

766 posts, read 1,254,873 times
I keep hearing how the elite doesn't attend UT? I really am dumbfounded by these statements because UT has a very wealthy student body. Sure, the majority of students come from middle class suburban backgrounds, but there is a ton of money at the school. Lots of UT students in West Campus living in luxury apartments and driving luxury cars that it's quite maddening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: